New to Viking Ocean - a few questions

cruise101

Airport Transfers:

If you have booked air through Viking, does it include transfers from airport to the ship (at the start) and ship to the airport at the final port.

Lactose free milk:

At their coffee bars (for lattes, cappuccino etc), does Viking carry lactose free milk (not soy, almond, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Yes, in answer to your first question. They will have your flight details and will meet you in baggage claim.

As to lactose-free milk, I don’t know. When we were planning to cruise when one of us was having issues, we just bought a bunch of digestive tablets for lactose.

Many thanks LindaS for the speedy response.

Re lactose free milk, the tablets unfortunately do not work for me, so its lactose free milk or no lattes & cappuccinos.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, cruise101 said:

Many thanks LindaS for the speedy response.

Re lactose free milk, the tablets unfortunately do not work for me, so its lactose free milk or no lattes & cappuccinos.

Thanks again.

Contact Viking at least 30 days prior to sailing so that they have time to organize.

E-mailing tellus@vikingcruises.com is my preferred method of dealing with Viking. Explain the problem. Include your booking number and a phone number.

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Yes, in answer to your first question. They will have your flight details and will meet you in baggage claim.

Yes, but Viking only goes to the airport on embarkation day and disembarkation (unless you are on a Viking cruise extension). If you decide to arrive early or stay longer without using a Viking extension, then there are no transfers provided.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, but Viking only goes to the airport on embarkation day and disembarkation (unless you are on a Viking cruise extension). If you decide to arrive early or stay longer without using a Viking extension, then there are no transfers provided.

True, but if you are doing an post-cruise extension DIY and need a ride to a train station, for example, Viking River will arrange for a taxi to pick you up at a time determined by you.  You pay for the taxi, of course.

I would assume Ocean would do the same thing?

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

That’s true. OP asked about embarkation and disembarkation days, though, so that’s what I was responding to.

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

True, but if you are doing an post-cruise extension DIY and need a ride to a train station, for example, Viking River will arrange for a taxi to pick you up at a time determined by you.  You pay for the taxi, of course.

I would assume Ocean would do the same thing?

Not in my experience.  We have always gotten our own post cruise transport to our hotel.  Many cruise terminals we have used have a taxi stand adjacent to grab a taxi from.  

25 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

Not in my experience.  We have always gotten our own post cruise transport to our hotel.  Many cruise terminals we have used have a taxi stand adjacent to grab a taxi from.  

OK sure, cabs are probably hanging around when 900 passengers depart.  Not when river ships disembark.  I just figured since Viking copied the river cruise model and adapted it to the ocean, their helpfulness would also translate.

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Did you ask Viking for help and they said no?

Yes, I find myself asking the same question.  They are so helpful at the end of a river cruise I would be shocked if they were less so after an ocean cruise.

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

I have twice had Viking get us transportation to our hotel post cruise— once in Montreal, a taxi, when docked far from the old town, and once in Barcelona, where Viking arranged private cars for a price.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

OK sure, cabs are probably hanging around when 900 passengers depart.  Not when river ships disembark.  I just figured since Viking copied the river cruise model and adapted it to the ocean, their helpfulness would also translate.

Uber is available in most places.  Easier than getting a third party (Viking) involved with something as simple as an automobile transfer.

• Like 1

I asked Viking when we docked in Istanbul. They tried to help but were clueless as to what was available. Like I said, they tried but they could not find anything. I did find an excellent transport company on my own.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I have twice had Viking get us transportation to our hotel post cruise— once in Montreal, a taxi, when docked far from the old town, and once in Barcelona, where Viking arranged private cars for a price.  

There is a taxi stand outside the Barcelona cruise terminal, that’s how we got to our hotel to Ramblas.  I think it cost us 10€.  
The only time we ever used Viking to provide transport to a hotel was when we had over $200 of nonrefundable OBC.  $165 went to the private transport, we bought something in the gift shop and left the ship with $11 of nonrefundable OBC left (out of a couple thousand $$).

Edited by Mich3554

So I guess, from the last few posts, one can conclude that the great service Viking gives disembarking river cruisers does not scale up to provide similar service to 900 departing ocean cruisers.

I mean, it was so easy when we got off the river ship in Basel--the taxi was waiting for us, at the appointed hour, crew simply found us in the lounge and told us it had arrived.  Having to schedule my own taxi or Uber would have been more work!  Large ocean cruise terminals will have taxi stands, not small piers alongside rivers.

16 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

There is a taxi stand outside the Barcelona cruise terminal, that’s how we got to our hotel to Ramblas.  I think it cost us 10€.  
The only time we ever used Viking to provide transport to a hotel was when we had over $200 of nonrefundable OBC.  $165 went to the private transport, we bought something in the gift shop and left the ship with $11 of nonrefundable OBC left (out of a couple thousand $$).

Yes, we saw that as soon as we got out of the terminal and laughed.  But like you, we had OBC for the car service.  We are in Barcelona again next year and will undoubtedly use the taxi stand!

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

So I guess, from the last few posts, one can conclude that the great service Viking gives disembarking river cruisers does not scale up to provide similar service to 900 departing ocean cruisers.

I mean, it was so easy when we got off the river ship in Basel--the taxi was waiting for us, at the appointed hour, crew simply found us in the lounge and told us it had arrived.  Having to schedule my own taxi or Uber would have been more work!  Large ocean cruise terminals will have taxi stands, not small piers alongside rivers.

I can't figure out of you are complaining or are rationalizing.

In any case, to make a blanket statement that great service on Viking doesn't extend to Ocean cruises is a little hyperbole.  Viking service on Ocean ships is fabulous in our 18 Ocean cruises!

Is it really so much "work" to book an Uber, Lyft, or taxi?  And yes, the taxis are around outside most of the Ocean terminals we've departed from.  We left Basel on Viking and it was a really small place to depart so getting taxis for people was not that big a deal for them.  Try disembarking in Ft Lauderdale, Barcelona, or wherever on a Ocean cruise, along with thousands of passengers on other cruise ships.  It takes us usually about 2 minutes to book a taxi (Barcelona) or a Lyft (in places where they are common).  We've even used Welcome pickups to take us to the airport or a hotel from an Ocean Terminal.  Lots of options!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

In any case, to make a blanket statement that great service on Viking doesn't extend to Ocean cruises is a little hyperbole.  Viking service on Ocean ships is fabulous in our 18 Ocean cruises!

Is it really so much "work" to book an Uber, Lyft, or taxi? 

I was just about to say pretty much the same thing.  👍

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Is it really so much "work" to book an Uber, Lyft, or taxi?  And yes, the taxis are around outside most of the Ocean terminals we've departed from.  We left Basel on Viking and it was a really small place to depart so getting taxis for people was not that big a deal for them.  Try disembarking in Ft Lauderdale, Barcelona, or wherever on a Ocean cruise, along with thousands of passengers on other cruise ships.  It takes us usually about 2 minutes to book a taxi (Barcelona) or a Lyft (in places where they are common).  We've even used Welcome pickups to take us to the airport or a hotel from an Ocean Terminal.  Lots of options!

WOW---don't where to start in terms of responding.

"Hyperbole", really?  I clearly stated my comments had to do specifically with Viking service upon disembarking.  I completely, completely understand that dealing with 900 guests is not the same as dealing with 190.  That's what I'm trying to acknowledge.  I'm not slamming Viking, I happen to like the company very much!  You are reading way too much into my comments, frankly.  This is just a chat board where we chew the fat and throw ideas around--I won't use the term "lighten up", too rude, but maybe approach my comments a bit more lightly??

If you are "fluent" when it comes to using Uber or Lyft, good for you!  Where we live we never use taxis or anything like that--just not necessary.  For some of us, getting a taxi/Uber/etc., is a big deal, something we have NO experience with.  When Viking river got us a taxi from the Basel dock to the train station, it made things infinitely easier for us.  If you are telling me that when I get off a Viking ocean ship there will be lots of taxis waiting, that's great!!  Despite what you said, YES, it is 'work' to get a taxi or Uber if that is something you never do.

Please note the title of this thread is "New To Viking Ocean", so, maybe, some of us are actually 'new to Viking Ocean' and new to ocean cruising as well?

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

Booking ground transport, particularly when you are going to a strange place is not comfortable.  Since we always deviate on both ends, us finding our own ground transport is the norm.  
Most cruise terminals we have been at have had taxi stands adjacent.  We have also used both Uber and Bolt (European version of Uber) as well.  We never use these at home, so as our travel increased so did our experience. To get from the hotel to either the airport, the hotel desk is invaluable.  Earlier this year, we needed to get to Laem Chang from a Bangkok hotel.  The hotel scheduled a taxi for us for the 2 hour trip, and it was about 1/3 what Viator wanted.  

It does get easier.

20 hours ago, cruise101 said:

If you have booked air through Viking, does it include transfers from airport to the ship (at the start) and ship to the airport at the final port.

As @LindaS272 said, yes. But if you use air plus and fly in a day or two early, or extend your stay, you're on your on.  At least we were when we did that.

2 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Booking ground transport, particularly when you are going to a strange place is not comfortable.  Since we always deviate on both ends, us finding our own ground transport is the norm.  
Most cruise terminals we have been at have had taxi stands adjacent.  We have also used both Uber and Bolt (European version of Uber) as well.  We never use these at home, so as our travel increased so did our experience. To get from the hotel to either the airport, the hotel desk is invaluable.  Earlier this year, we needed to get to Laem Chang from a Bangkok hotel.  The hotel scheduled a taxi for us for the 2 hour trip, and it was about 1/3 what Viator wanted.  

It does get easier.

In other words, to quote the apocryphal words of some famous pianist when he was asked how to get to Carnegie Hall, "Practice, practice, practice."

The more times you arrange your transportation, the easier it gets -- which is just another excuse for why we have to travel more. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

In other words, to quote the apocryphal words of some famous pianist when he was asked how to get to Carnegie Hall, "Practice, practice, practice."

The more times you arrange your transportation, the easier it gets -- which is just another excuse for why we have to travel more. 😊

Exactly!  And an excellent rationalization for booking another trip!  

For Uber, and other online only service providers, it is useful to establish a user history before transportation is essential. Schedule a ride or two that might not otherwise be necessary in a ride share vehicle. Give the driver full points and tip. Drivers may avoid a request that has no history on the service app. I use it occasionally and use the account from the phone of my wife to establish her history in case she needs a ride and we are not together.

User ratings go both ways, client and provider.

• Like 3