Alaska on Coral Princess July 2025 questions

Lacontessa

Good morning. Managed to get a great rate for the two of us for the July 23-30, 2025 northbound cruise from Vancouver on the Coral Princess. Since hubbie is still a bit nervous about seasickness (he did well on his first cruise - Caribbean in December), he wants to do the cruise first and independent land afterwards. This will be our first time on Princess, and will be the same itineary that I had on Holland America last year when traveled solo (departs Vancouver, includes Glacier Bay, 3 ports - Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway) so welcome your ideas regarding how to make this repeat trip unique and special. We both love nature, wildlife, nature, scenery.

1. For those who have cruised with both...what are the main differences between Holland America and Princess cruises?

2. Budget tips for the Coral Princess, or Princess cruises in general?

3. Last year, I booked Island Wings seaplane in Ketchikan, Jayleen’s whale watch in Juneau, White bus to Mendenhall Glacie), and Chilkook charters Lake Bennett train/coach combination in Skagway. Since Coral Princess will be docking at the same ports, are there other shore excursions we should consider to increase our chances of seeing bears (I didn't see any until the grizzlies in Denali)?

4. Suggestions for a week or so independent road trip with my husband post cruise? He is very comfortable driving.

5. Is there a cruise critic roll call or Facebook group for the July 23-30, 2025 Coral Princess northbound cruise?

We were on the Coral for our Cruisetour in 2018 and loved the ship! You can go to the Princess Roll Calls section on the boards and search for your sailing, if there isn't one started you can do it.

Budget tip (I'm sure many will chime in with others): if your husband is a veteran (or current member of military) have hime apply for the Military OBC benefit. Amount depends on length of sailing but he juat has to apply once and it will be added automactically to future cruises.

For excursions, do you want to repeat some that you did or are there other things that your husband has as a "must-do?" We did an independent whale watch, too (Harv & Marv's) but just walked around Skagway and out to the cemetary and waterfall. Intended to walk around Ketchikan it was pouring rain so we just went to the little museum and had crab at Annabelle's (near the dock). There's a lot of information on the Alaska Ports of Call forum if you haven't found it already.

Happy planning!

Ketchikan floatplane flights to Neets Bay will see bears, but very expensive.  Likewise the bear encounter by boat (long boat ride around the island).

There is a Kroschel Wildlife excursion in Skagway more likely than the Bear and Eagle Quest tour there.  Eagle Preserve float (ferry to Haines from Skagway, so some cruises don't have this) is great but may or may not see bears on the river.

We like Alaska Shore Tours for whale watching in Juneau, but yours are good.  Haven't seen bears but lots of whales last month.

Glacier Bay is different every time we go.  Have seen massive icefall on Marjorie Glacier on several trips on Coral and Island.  

The real advantage of Coral and Island Princess is the enclosed adult pool area.  You can sit on comfortable loungers in shorts and stick your head out for photos.  Make sure you check out some wool blankets for the cruise and try to sit away from a door.

4 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

We were on the Coral for our Cruisetour in 2018 and loved the ship! You can go to the Princess Roll Calls section on the boards and search for your sailing, if there isn't one started you can do it.

Budget tip (I'm sure many will chime in with others): if your husband is a veteran (or current member of military) have hime apply for the Military OBC benefit. Amount depends on length of sailing but he juat has to apply once and it will be added automactically to future cruises.

For excursions, do you want to repeat some that you did or are there other things that your husband has as a "must-do?" We did an independent whale watch, too (Harv & Marv's) but just walked around Skagway and out to the cemetary and waterfall. Intended to walk around Ketchikan it was pouring rain so we just went to the little museum and had crab at Annabelle's (near the dock). There's a lot of information on the Alaska Ports of Call forum if you haven't found it already.

Happy planning!

Thanks for your input. For our cruise next July, my husband is encouraging me to consider doing something different for Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. The itineary will be the same as last year when I traveled solo, but, the cruiseline and ship will be different (Princess vs Holland America), will be traveling with hubbie this time vs going solo, and of course the weather could be completely different. Last year, I booked Island Wings seaplane in Ketchikan, Jayleen’s whale watch in Juneau, White bus to Mendenhall Glacie), and Chilkook charters Lake Bennett train/coach combination in Skagway.

Have emailed Jayleen's to see about availability for Juneau ($220 pp).

Since didn't see any bears on my Island Wings tour from Ketchikan, the float plane is very expensive, and my husband doesn't feel that he needs to do a float plane trip - am thinking of one of these Alaska Shore Excursions or similar for Ketchikan or Skagway:

Ketchikan - Ketchikan Private Wildlife & Exploration Tour ($750 for up to 11 people)

Skagway - Skagway Chilkoot Lake Wildlife Viewing Tour to Haines ($250 pp), or the Skagway Wildlife Safari Tour to Haines ($225 pp).

• Like 1

Q4: post cruise tour. DH and I did this in June 2015. Picked up a rental at the airport and headed north to Denali...took the day to drive because of construction and wildfires. Hit the Alaskan version of the Walmart along the way for drinks, snacks, cold cuts, and a small cooler.  Stopped in Talkeetna for lunch and did a plane tour over Denali and glacier landing---super amazing!!!  Stayed 3 nights at Carlo Creek cabins which were very nice, right on the creek, 20 minutes south of the park entrance . Toured the park visit center, the sled dog demonstration, hiked the short trail there.  Did the full bus ride all the way into the park( pack sandwiches and drinks), a long day but worth it.  We then drove south towards Seward, stayed the night at the Aleyska resort( beautiful and pricey but we got a really good deal)and last day we drove some more, did the wildlife rehab/preserve which was really good, stopped at a bird sanctuary with walking paths, then returned the car and boarded the late flight home. This was all done independently and was not hard to plan. Spend the money for one of the guidebooks recommended on the Alaska board and a good map, also email the Alaska tourism board for free materials.

will Coral do 'On the Bayou' production show on an Alaska cruise?  If so, it is a must, and easily the best on all of Princess.  On the Island, not so much anymore, I guess?