Chair saving a new twist!

Coolcruise02

After our morning swim my DH and I sat down on the bench around the pool to dry off in the sun. We were told by the man in the lounger behind us to move. When my DH asked why, he said we were blocking his view. So we moved down a couple feet.

As I sat there I watched 2 ladies (not with the man who asked us to move) lay towels out on the pool bench in front of their front row loungers and put sun lotion and books on these towels.

I have never seen this on any of my other cruises. Have I missed some new real estate rule that if you have a front row lounger you know have the rights to the bench and pool view in front of you? I hope I haven't offended anyone in the past by sitting around the pools edge! :)

:rolleyes: I would have told the man that we'll move when we're dried off a bit more and ready to leave. Blocking someone's view. That's ridiculous!

I'm with you Jim.

Except I think it would take me a long time and 2 or 3 drinks before I would feel properly "dried off"!

I had a whole response written up to this but I deleted it. I'm just glad that I don't live my life thinking that the world owes me something!

Good for you to graciously move and not cause a scene! Just feel sorry for those who live such a selfish life. They surely can't be happy.

Blessings!

After our morning swim my DH and I sat down on the bench around the pool to dry off in the sun. We were told by the man in the lounger behind us to move. When my DH asked why, he said we were blocking his view. So we moved down a couple feet.

As I sat there I watched 2 ladies (not with the man who asked us to move) lay towels out on the pool bench in front of their front row loungers and put sun lotion and books on these towels.

I have never seen this on any of my other cruises. Have I missed some new real estate rule that if you have a front row lounger you know have the rights to the bench and pool view in front of you? I hope I haven't offended anyone in the past by sitting around the pools edge! :)

I think that man's actions is the reason why other country's call us "spoiled Americans". It just amazes me sometime how others act in public.

Coolcruiser 2-- I would have probably done what you did, but my DW would likely have told him that if he wanted an unblocked view, he could move over to the pool bench!!!! It's not like anyone was cutting in line!

I wonder what he would have said if his wife had sat in front of him?

LOL ... depending upon my mood I might pop off: "What ... is the view of my wide behind not lovely enough for you?" ;)

I, too, thank you for the best laugh I've had today. :D

Coolcruise, I bet you were just flaberghasted. I would have probably slinked away as well and then moaned about his rudeness for ages!

I think that man's actions is the reason why other country's call us "spoiled Americans". It just amazes me sometime how others act in public.

Where in the original OP'S post did it say that this man was an American?:confused: Are you just assuming this, or did I miss something?

I've encountered rude people from other countries also!:(

Hey, wait a minute! What makes you think that man was an American? Other countries calls us names because they are envious of us. I was born in Egypt, am a naturalized citizen and very, very proud to be an American. I have always been very proud of my fellow country persons when travelling any where. If you think about it, visualize your last cruise. If you travelled with maybe 2600 people, weren't you always greeted with a smile from other passengers? Didn't you have wonderful conversations with people you met at meals? Weren't people polite and courteous when they got on and off the ship? Weren't most people American? Sorry for the lecture, but I feel very passionate about this great land of ours and her wonderful inhabitants.

I'm with you lougee about watching children in the pool but if he would have thought for any other reason that this girl would have moved just because....he would have been sadly mistaken. I'm all for being nice and polite and I do not disturb anyone's belongings on the chairs but I will not move from a bench that wraps around the pool just because he cannot see.. Next he will be demanding for passengers to exit the pool because its his water. We all pay with our hard earned money weather we can afford an inside or up to a penthouse. Rude people need to remember that one is just as good as the other. Just last year we were on the Zaandam in the elevator and as some passengers made their exit some man, may be the same one-or his brother, says "they are inside people". I was so mad but I did'nt say anything. I guess that I think of people just as people because I am a hairdresser and I provide a service from the poor that struggles to save enough for a haircut to professionals that have plenty.

Anyway I have vented for today and come May 20 I will be the one sitting on the bench heading for Alaska.:)

Even if this guy was watching his kids, it was up to him to get up and make sure he could see them, not up to the rest of the passengers to cater to his need/desire. Some people have such a sense of entitlement...makes me crazy. I would have been nice about it, but would have politely refused to move. Or I would have asked to switch places with him...

Thanks everyone for your serious and funny responses. This man and his wife looked to be in their 70's to me. We observed them at other times making demands and being rude. I wish I had seen them in action before he asked me to move I would have been prepared.

Just a side note-after he asked me to move he got into a confrontation with the couple in the loungers next to him. He wanted "more room" around his lounger and wanted them to move their chairs down. This poor man with help from his wife & a cane got up to move his lounge down 4"-5" so Mr. Important could have more room. :)

You sure see it all on a cruise!

Depending on the number of frozen drinks I might have consumed that day, my response would not have been as polite as some of yours.

I agree with some of the others, I would have moved when I was dried off and ready to move and not one second sooner.

As for saving the space on the bench in front of your lounger, lets just say when I am in the pool that area could get very wet.

:D

Mike

Where in the original OP'S post did it say that this man was an American?:confused: Are you just assuming this, or did I miss something?

I've encountered rude people from other countries also!:(

OK I stand corrected. I was only meaning that people like the man being rude is one of the reasons we are often called spoiled by some other countries. I was assuming, possibly incorrectly, he was American. I am American and have lived in many other countries (as a child), some of them welcoming, others not not so. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

I normally just leave it as is and move on... except when it is my DW that is the target of rudeness.

This type of rudness happened to my wife on a cruise ship and I confronted the man. I explained to him that this was my DW and that I will not put up with this behavior towards my DW and that I did not care if I was on a cruise ship or on a street corner if he continued the outcome would be the same. He decided to behave.

For some strange reason I can put up with this stuff directed at me but towards my DW it is a really different story.

For some strange reason I can put up with this stuff directed at me but towards my DW it is a really different story.

Thats because shes your other half and it sounds like you love her dearly. Keep up that good trait--you sound like a keeper.:)

Archived