Newbie NCL Northern Europe 9/26-10/6

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

My name is Don from NJ and while this is not my first cruise, I haven’t done one in decades.  I am traveling solo and see the trip as my real start to my retirement (which technically started over 10 years ago). 

While having traveled some in Europe and the US, I have never been to any of the ports on the cruise. I am excited about the possibilities.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might spend the 5 days I’ll have in Reykjavik before the cruise starts?  I will arrive on Saturday September the 24t. I am still active and get around pretty well. I want to experience the Blue Lagoon and hot springs for potential benefit to my arthritis.

Love a good museum and opportunities to explore different cultures. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

Don 

We just went to the Blue Lagoon last week; it was wonderful. I would also recommend the Perlan center up on the hill...it's an attraction devoted to the natural phenomena of Iceland, such as Northern Lights, Volcanoes and Ice. We did not have as much time as you pre-cruise, but I've heard that a Golden Circle tour is amazing, as is a puffin-watching tour. Have a great time; we sure did!

• Haha 1

Many people report that land tours (as opposed to cruises) let you see inland sights in Iceland that cruise passengers can't get to in an afternoon.   Maybe you can use your 5 nights pre cruise to venture inland and spend the night somewhere, perhaps on a guided tour?    Golden Circle tour from Reykjavik is very nice - a full day tour.  Blue Lagoon (if open) maybe 1/2 day.   Downtown Reykjavik is fun to walk around and shop but likely no more than an afternoon.  You may still have time for a longer excursion inland.

Have fun.

I actually will only have 2 days in Reykjavik. I will look up the options you listed and see what fits.  Thanks for the recommendations.

I actually will only have 2 days in Reykjavik. I will look up the options you listed and see what fits.  Thanks for the recommendations.

Wahoowa12 Thanks for Blue Lagoon update and info on nearby sites.  I am feeling more and more prepared as I book accommodations and excursions.   Yes I am on the Prima. 
Thanks again 

Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2024 at 1:18 AM, DocPSY said:

I am feeling more and more prepared as I book accommodations and excursions.

There is a tour which would easily fit your timescale.  It is the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon tourwhich is a longer tour therefore unsuited to those with more limited time in Reykjavik. We have never had enough time on our Reykjavik port calls to take this tour, but have been tempted by the positive reviews and images  of it. Should we have longer on a future visit we would be signing up for it, but only with the actual operator, not a third party seller.

This one and the Golden Circle Tour would fill your time with quite unique experiences..

Edited by edinburgher

With a full 5 days, I'd seriously look at an overnight south coast tour which will get you all the way to Jokulsarlon (a day trip is 10 hours of driving, too much!)  Then look at a day tour each to Snaefellsnes and the Golden Circle.  Inside the Volcano gets rave reviews, which would be a half day.

Full disclosure, I've been to Iceland 3 times and have never done the full Golden Circle.  I've heard the geothermal area is quite interesting...unless you've spent time at Yellowstone.  We did get to Thingvellir and snorkeled the Silfra rift.