Problems Booking La Dame

Hlitner

It is clearly stated on board, and has always been the case, that if you don't cancel a reservation for La Dame by 2pm on the day, you will be charged.

And please don't suggest - "if the charge is that important, or just add $60 to everyone’s fare and call it even" - I certainly don't want that charge on my fare.

I have just dined in La Dame on the Shadow because I was given a freebie. I have dined there in the past when it was Le Champagne to see what it was like and have never been back so I thought I'd give it another go and, again, I won't be back, not even for a freebie. The whole thing was so pretentious with hovering waiters getting to within a millimetre of being smarmy, the menu was so limited with a ridiculous over-reliance on lobster - I don't dislike lobster but think it's overrated - the food was OK but IMO had been fussed about with too much, and an odd thing with the cutlery. The end of the fork handle that you hold was thick and square but the points of the square were quite sharp and by the end of the meal I had a sore patch on my left palm where they had been digging in - really odd and poor design. Hardly a luxury experience.

And the place was nearly empty - only three other table were occupied but two of those tables chose to get into loud conversation which in such a small room was very intrusive.

Obviously other pax may experience it differently, but I'd suggest not to worry too much about reservations - go to La Terrazza, you'll have a better evening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I WAS (recently) able to reserve la Dame on Moon at $60/person. This will only be my second experience at a not-included restaurant- curiosity mostly as it doesn't cost that much (right now, that is). I have been quite happy with the included restaurants on board.

This thread gives me the feeling that changes are afoot, probably not happening at the same time everywhere.

Our one experience on the Moon was that La Dame was never available to book, even though the restaurant was only 25% occupied each night, verified by our visits.  Finally we were able to book by making friends with a bar tender who had a friend at La Dame.  So we ate there and decided that it was not wrth the up charge.  Meh.  So don't worry.  Eat elsewhere.

I am guessing that La Dame’s Maitre d’ does not want a full restaurant. Better service could be one result and depending on the evening’s permitted guest number wait staff could be deployed to other restaurants which are subject to closer to 100% capacity on occasion. Maybe a more serene environment is part of what you are paying for with the La Dame surcharge. 

Just my 2 cents, and I hasten to add that a calm restaurant wherein people show respect to the style of the place and each other - ie no hollering as if no other tables of diners matter - is very important to us.

Happy and healthy sailing!

6 hours ago, markham said:

Just my 2 cents, and I hasten to add that a calm restaurant wherein people show respect to the style of the place and each other - ie no hollering as if no other tables of diners matter - is very important to us.

And that's precisely what I didn't get. Among the other deficiencies of the so called 'luxury' experience, the fact that it is in a small and otherwise silent room meant that the loud conversation of two tables - they weren't even shouting, just talking - was very intrusive and seriously detracted from my enjoyment.

At least in a larger room like La Terrazza, there is a general hum of background conversation which softens the impact of loudly speaking diners, there's always some of them.

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Update - I was just now able to make a reservation at LaDame for my upcoming December 17th sailing on the Shadow. This is about 5 days after dining opened for LaTerraza and the Grill. 

Thank you so very much AtlanticCruiser72 for the ""heads-up"".  I just confirmed my La Dame reservations for our 8th December cruise on the Whisper; La Dame reservations must have become available earlier in the day.  It seems as if this issue is now resolved.

• Like 1

My bookings opened for the holiday Dawn sailing.  I have successfully made all my reservations with the exception of La Dame which shows unavailable!!!  Frustrating as we would like to dine there on Christmas Day and New Years Eve.   Will have to get on the phone with my travel agent to see if something can be done.

2 hours ago, goldengatecruisers said:

My bookings opened for the holiday Dawn sailing.  I have successfully made all my reservations with the exception of La Dame which shows unavailable!!!  Frustrating as we would like to dine there on Christmas Day and New Years Eve.   Will have to get on the phone with my travel agent to see if something can be done.

Just keep trying online. It had been showing unavailable for my sailing since reservations for dining opened on the 19th and earlier today LaDame finally showed as available and I successfully booked it. 

Dining reservations for me went live at midnight. La Dame is unavailable for entire cruise on Dawn 22 Dec-Jan13.   Not greatly disappointed as was OK 2 years ago but can use $60 on other things- did not even try on Nova due to cost..  The Grill and Silver Note are my favorites!

1 minute ago, MsCrystalina said:

Dining reservations for me went live at midnight. La Dame is unavailable for entire cruise on Dawn 22 Dec-Jan13.   Not greatly disappointed as was OK 2 years ago but can use $60 on other things- did not even try on Nova due to cost..  The Grill and Silver Note are my favorites!

Having said what you said, which would you rather try as a first time cruiser on Silversea.

La Dame or S.A.L.T Chef Table?

34 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

Give it a few days and keep checking. LaDame opened up for me about 5 days after the rest of the dining. 

Now 55 days out from our cruise on the Moon.  Made all my reservations at 120 days including La Dame.

I noted that today La Dame is still available for every night of the cruise.  I wonder why such a huge inconsistency across ships and cruises.

Our dinner at La Dame on the Shadow in June was superb, which was surprising as 5 previous visits to this restaurant on other cruises were all disappointing. I guess we hit the one night where the kitchen was firing on all cylinders. As for booking pre-cruise, we waited too late and could not get reservations at either La Dame or La Terrazza. However, we waitlisted for both and we were informed day-of that we could be accommodated. I guess that's the one benefit of other passengers overbooking specialty restaurants and then cancelling. 

• Like 1