Booked last minute cruise - coverage available

Booked a cruise 7/31 leaving 8/10 from Galveston -8/18 on the Eastern Caribbean trip so right into hurricane alley. I am not really worried about being on the boat during a storm but more worried about being away from home in case a storm rolls into my home area like Beryl did. What are my best options for cancellation insurance if any at this point? Is it worth it?  Looking at long term forecasts there is potential for the next storm to be into the gulf around mid trip for me (8/14). Thoughts? 

Also even without cancellation coverage, is it worth getting a policy for my wife in just in case of med vac etc even though I have good healh insurance? I have pretty much met my deductible for the family at this point as well. 

19 hours ago, 4x4TX said:

Booked a cruise 7/31 leaving 8/10 from Galveston -8/18 on the Eastern Caribbean trip so right into hurricane alley. I am not really worried about being on the boat during a storm but more worried about being away from home in case a storm rolls into my home area like Beryl did. What are my best options for cancellation insurance if any at this point? Is it worth it?  Looking at long term forecasts there is potential for the next storm to be into the gulf around mid trip for me (8/14). Thoughts? 

Also even without cancellation coverage, is it worth getting a policy for my wife in just in case of med vac etc even though I have good healh insurance? I have pretty much met my deductible for the family at this point as well. 

You are leaving in just a few days!?

I'd strongly suggest that *you* call www.TripInsuranceStore.com to find out what is available in terms of travel insurance.  You can get their phone number on their website. I wouldn't delay further by waiting here on a public forum (where they usually don't give too much personalized information anyway for obvious reasons). And given the timing, I wouldn't email... call them!

Have a great trip!

GC

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, 4x4TX said:

Hi 4x4,

There are plans that specifically allow you to cancel if Your Scheduled Departure City or Scheduled Destination is under a hurricane warning or watch as issued by the NOAA National Hurricane Center. Unfortunately, you have to buy them at least 15 days before your departure date, so that's not an option.

And, the other problem is that nothing forecasted is covered so you'll want to see what NOAA is showing.

Your cancellation risk is small, but if it's an expensive trip, it might be worth it because you'll have trip interruption coverage, too.. And, it's worth getting a plan for the medical coverage.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi 4x4,

There are plans that specifically allow you to cancel if Your Scheduled Departure City or Scheduled Destination is under a hurricane warning or watch as issued by the NOAA National Hurricane Center. Unfortunately, you have to buy them at least 15 days before your departure date, so that's not an option.

And, the other problem is that nothing forecasted is covered so you'll want to see what NOAA is showing.

Your cancellation risk is small, but if it's an expensive trip, it might be worth it because you'll have trip interruption coverage, too.. And, it's worth getting a plan for the medical coverage.

Steve Dasseos

Not too expensive, $2500. I went ahead, nothing is forecasted by NOAA currently but there is a chance of development in the next 7 days from what I have seen. 

4 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

You mentioned a hurricane warning or watch. What about something like Superstorm Sandy back in 2012? Would the cruise out of New England have been covered?

Hi Markanddonna,

Hurricane watches aren't covered.

We had claims related to Superstorm Sandy and they were paid.

Steve Dasseos