Anyone ever upgrade ($) to Royal or Owner's Suite onboard

Morgsmom

On our upcoming Seashore cruise that is less than 2 weeks out there are still 1 Royal Suite and 2 Owner's Suites available.  Has anyone ever been successful at upgrading from their current YC cabin (at a cost, of course) once onboard vs these going empty for the week?  If so, what was the price?

Alternately, if the cabins go unsold for the week has anyone ever been able to ask for a tour (or peek) to try to entice dear husband into upgrading for a future cruise 😉

The only data point I can add is that we were in 19031, and we asked once on board if we could add the connecting cabin 19033. Took them a few hours to get us an answer, but they eventually got back to us with a price of $3k for the week. That $3k was approx. half the price that it sold for online when we had checked a few days prior.

• Like 1

I know I've read stories on these message boards of people who have asked and received phenominal ugrades in YC.  Reactions were mixed. Some who had paid full price resented the bargain upgrades. Others were more welcoming of the newly elevated shipmates.  I'm no expert in finding answers using the "search" function, but perhaps you have more skill and patience and can resurrect these discussions.  Bottom line:  yes, it can be done...and has been done.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It can be done but that doesn't mean that it will be done. MSC has no problem letting an Owner's Suite sail empty. 

Some of the upgrade offers weren't much better than booking the suite to begin with. Some people have gotten great deals. The only thing consistent with MSC is the inconsistency.

As far as seeing an empty stateroom for a quick look, ask your butler or junior butler. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

Well it is most certainly true that MSC is consistently inconsistent in all things 🙂 

Thinking about it I'm most happy already with our cabin and will hope for just a peek to see how the other half (I see you @morpheusofthesea) lives......

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Except she had a guest bathroom when having people over for cocktails or a meal.

https://www.history.com/news/elizabeth-i-royal-progress-expense

"Every summer, Queen Elizabeth I and her massive court set out on a months-long progress, with a mile-long train of dozens of carriages, carts and over a thousand horses. For this elaborate summer vacation, no regular inn would suit the Virgin Queen. Instead, Elizabeth stayed at her monied and titled subjects’ country estates—a great honor for them, but also her right as absolute monarch of the British Isle. “Every nobleman’s house is her palace, where she continueth during pleasure and till she returns to some of her own,” wrote one contemporary.

But for some courtiers, the cost of a royal visit was simply too great. In 1602, Sir Henry Lee was aghast when he was informed that Queen Elizabeth planned to stay with him on her summer progress. According to Adrian Tinniswood, author of Behind the Throne: A Domestic History of the British Royal Household, Lee wrote an urgent letter to the Queen’s councilor, Robert Cecil. Elizabeth simply couldn’t come, he stated emphatically: he’d go broke if she did." ( Today he could just say "Tell her I have no guest bathroom.")

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Except she had a guest bathroom when having people over for cocktails or a meal.

Have you been to any of her palaces ?  This is what her guest bathrooms look like. And they're all in the back yards. I suppose she wasn't too keen on having guests, only being a guest.

GUESTBATH.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea

On 8/7/2024 at 11:25 AM, Morgsmom said:

On our upcoming Seashore cruise that is less than 2 weeks out there are still 1 Royal Suite and 2 Owner's Suites available.  Has anyone ever been successful at upgrading from their current YC cabin (at a cost, of course) once onboard vs these going empty for the week?  If so, what was the price?

Alternately, if the cabins go unsold for the week has anyone ever been able to ask for a tour (or peek) to try to entice dear husband into upgrading for a future cruise 😉

I was unsuccessful trying to do it.

The opportunity to bid for the royal was there but the price was ridiculous. Once onboard I inquired and the price was still way up there.

The room sailed empty.

On a side note, I know one of the owners suites was obtained by bidding. The high bidder already had a YCGS. 

All the remaining YC cabins were full either by reservations or bidding.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We were actually given a complimentary upgrade to the starboard side Royal Suite on the Divina, NOT the Sophia Loren Suite on port side. That particular RS was in desperate need of a dry dock and we actually considered asking to be moved back to our regular suite. But it was such a nice gesture from the YC Director we didn’t want to offend. 😀

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 1

What is the best way to identify that an owners suite is still empty?  Just try making a dummy reservation or ask my butler when onboard

Would love to get a peak inside one

2 hours ago, eppler said:

What is the best way to identify that an owners suite is still empty?  Just try making a dummy reservation or ask my butler when onboard

Would love to get a peak inside one

Not always easy to determine on the "ferry-style" routes like they have in most areas of the world. I'd recommend checking on CruisePlum to see if there are any Owners Suites available around the dates of your cruise. It's possible that an Owners Suite will be partially available for several days and not on others. On the ferry-style routes they only make some cabin inventory for specific embarkation ports.