Deckside Digest - YC Edition: Volume 24 Episode 1 (MSC Seascape 8/17-8/24)

MonsterJoe

6 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Me either and I agree @Essiesmom does an amazing job.  I asked her for her secret and it's to get up before everyone else and or wait until everyone else has gone ashore.  The latter will most likely be my approach.  Now how many of the ones I take is always a questions. 

I could not agree more.  

We like short - 2 - 2.5 hour excursions and prefer not having to leave before the dining room closes.  

We will be very interested to read about your excursion in Puerto Plata.  We've only been there once, according to my records and I do not remember a whole lot of about it.  It's on our second leg so may have time to book pre-sale.  

On Grand Cayman, we did a tour with a third generation local lady that was amazing.  We saw just about everything, including the preserve with the blue iguanas, and a very nice nature trail.  

When you say buffet are you talking the YC Buffet or the Market Place Buffet on Deck 8?

Happy birthday.  May you enjoy many, many, many, happy returns. 

🎂

You have two very lovely children. 

Thank you..two pictured but three total...the oldest is adult and cutting her own path. 🙂

about the buffet...i primarily mean the main one, though i want for sure to document both 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2024 at 1:20 PM, DaKahuna said:

Really looking forward to this.  We have the same itinerary scheduled for our 9/28 - 10/5 cruise on Seasacape. 

I can highly recommend the Sidecar, New Fashioned (an old fashioned made with rum instead of bourbon), and a spicy margarita.   Have not had them on the Seascape but they were well made by the bartender on the Divina. 

Looking forward to reading how that turns out for you as we plan to rely heavily on the sommelier/waiter on our cruise for wine pairings.  

We also will be on the same time as you DaKahuna. 

My husband just told me he is looking forward to a butler unpacking his suitcase.....please say they still do that cause he despises unpacking. 

I do my own as I know where I want everything!

• Haha 2

On 8/9/2024 at 1:24 PM, DaKahuna said:

I do not think it would be.  There are some many threads about Seashore but very few really about Seascape.  Don't know why that is. 

I have myself been thinking about what I am going to do, if anything, about a review for our sailing.  I'll probably concentrate on pictures of the ship and food.   We do not have a single excursion booked for either leg and looking like we will not being doing any.  We;ve been to all of the ports at least twice, with the exception of Puerto Plata, and I do not see anything that would be interesting to both of us in the way of a ships or private excursion. 

On 8/9/2024 at 1:24 PM, DaKahuna said:

I do not think it would be.  There are some many threads about Seashore but very few really about Seascape.  Don't know why that is. 

I have myself been thinking about what I am going to do, if anything, about a review for our sailing.  I'll probably concentrate on pictures of the ship and food.   We do not have a single excursion booked for either leg and looking like we will not being doing any.  We;ve been to all of the ports at least twice, with the exception of Puerto Plata, and I do not see anything that would be interesting to both of us in the way of a ships or private excursion. 

Like Monster stated the ship is our destination. We have gotten away from planning excursions and if we can just explore in the port town or catch a hop on and hop off bus or catch some private something or other and get right back to YC.

We enjoy the historical lectures and tours with an excellent orator.

Our favorite tour was on a river cruise in Egypt. We had a university professor throughout our drifting and tours. He brought everything to life like a movie being played in your head! Magical!

My DH on every excursion in any part of the world is, "Are we going to have to see another cathedral, mosque, or church and do we HAVE to"?

My concern really is the weather since we will be in carribean waters during hur****** season. I don't want to jinx it by mere mention!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

Like Monster stated the ship is our destination. We have gotten away from planning excursions and if we can just explore in the port town or catch a hop on and hop off bus or catch some private something or other and get right back to YC.

We enjoy the historical lectures and tours with an excellent orator.

Our favorite tour was on a river cruise in Egypt. We had a university professor throughout our drifting and tours. He brought everything to life like a movie being played in your head! Magical!

My DH on every excursion in any part of the world is, "Are we going to have to see another cathedral, mosque, or church and do we HAVE to"?

My concern really is the weather since we will be in carribean waters during hur****** season. I don't want to jinx it by mere mention!

We  always sail during hurricane season and (knock on wood) we've never had an interruption...I always get us a mid level allianz travel policy anyway...I am positive that one day it will pay out.

3 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Like Monster stated...

Also..just for the record since I am on the record....I am neither Joe, nor am I a monster....

This has been my go to forum username for over 20 years and it was born from the name of my favorite song from a band I used to play in.

- D

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

We  always sail during hurricane season and (knock on wood) we've never had an interruption...I always get us a mid level allianz travel policy anyway...I am positive that one day it will pay out.

We did the same and I printed out the entire policy to take with us along phone numbers.🤞

3 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

Also..just for the record since I am on the record....I am neither Joe, nor am I a monster....

This has been my go to forum username for over 20 years and it was born from the name of my favorite song from a band I used to play in.

- D

I love the name Monster....it's so retro 70's!😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Totally agree! We were on a short tour in Mallorca and the bus pulled up to our last stop near a church. The guide said we could walk over to the church or take the shuttle back to the ship, which happened to be waiting just next to us at the time. No brainer -- back to the ship post haste! 🙂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

.please say they still do that cause he despises unpacking. 

That is listed as something that a butler will do but we have never had them unpack or pack our suitcases.  I cannot even imagine my wife letting anyone touch her clothes.  I help by sitting the suit cases on the bed, getting out of the way while she unpacks and organizes her things and then open my suitcase and hand her my things to put away. 

When it comes to packing, I ask her what she wants me to do.  Otherwise, I stay out of her way and let her do her thing. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Only 9/28 to 10/5

See you in the YC.  

We are on the 9/21-9/28 which overlaps the second leg of BCM's B2B. 

2 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We'll try not to drink them out of everything good!

Not making any such promises on my end. 

My 21-year old grandson introduced me to a new drink tonight that might interest you.  A Tequila Old Fashioned. 

2-oz Tequila

4-dashes bitters

4-dashes of orange bitters

1/4 of 1/2-oz simple syrup

I muddled a cherry and orange slice. Added the liquid ingredients and ice, shook in a cocktain shaker, and poured over ice with a cherry and lemon slice.  (this was my addition to the recipe he gave me). 

So I now have 3 to choose from - traditional, rum, and now tequila. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

My 21-year old grandson introduced me to a new drink tonight that might interest you.  A Tequila Old Fashioned. 

BCD says he is interested in trying it. He's heard of it but not tried one yet. And YC is the place to try new stuff! 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

BCD says he is interested in trying it. He's heard of it but not tried one yet. And YC is the place to try new stuff! 🙂

I agree with BCD. Looking forward to having some type of Old Fashioned and Sidecar with both of you.  

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 11:51 PM, MonsterJoe said:

I have spent my whole life as a New Englander putting space between me and that accent...but I appreciate the humor!  It would make a great Matt Damon or Ben Affleck movie!

I love my Rhode Island accent and hope I never lose it!  Besides I like the look on peoples faces when I (always) have no use for the letter R.  

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2024 at 9:09 AM, riredsox said:

I love my Rhode Island accent and hope I never lose it!  Besides I like the look on peoples faces when I (always) have no use for the letter R.  

I don't bother with R either.  My favorite word is "iron".  To me it's "ein" (like in Einstein).  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DW has been doing a wonderful job as usual, making sure we've got everything ready. I stay out of the way and do what is asked - mostly because work really rides me hard when I'm about to go on vacation.

Here's our working list - it's not exhausting, just what I can remember at the moment.

Travel Documents & Essentials

• Passports
  • Cruise Documents, Boarding Pass, Luggage tags
  • Travel Insurance Details

Carry-On Bag

• Change of Clothes 
  • Medications
  • Electronics & Chargers
  • Swimsuits
  • Snacks
  • Cruise Card Lanyards/clips

Clothing (emphasis on interchangeable items)

• Daywear (4 outfits)
  • Evening Wear (3 outfits)
  • Formal Wear (2 outfits)
  • Swimwear (2-3 swimsuits)
  • Activewear (2 outfits, easily washable)
  • Sleepwear (3 outfits)
  • Undergarments & Socks
  • Comfortable Walking/Deck Shoes
  • Flip Flops or Sandals
  • Water socks
  • Hat & Sunglasses

Toiletries & Personal Care

• Sunscreen
  • Aloe
  • Makeup & Makeup Remover
  • Hair Stuff (brush, comb, hair ties, straightener)
  • Razor & Shaving Cream
  • Deodorant
  • Diapers
  • Wipes

Beach & Pool Gear

• Beach Tote/Bag
  • Books

Electronics & Gadgets

• Camera & Memory Cards
  • Portable Charger/Power Bank
  • Power Strip and Outlet Adapter
  • Laptop

Health & Wellness

• First Aid Kit: Band-Aids, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers
  • Seasick meds
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Vitamins & Supplements

Miscellaneous

• Travel Laundry Detergent
  • Ziploc Bags (for wet items, snacks, etc.)
  • Small Backpack
  • Card Games
  • USB Fans (room and stroller)
  • Cabin Hooks
  • Door Hanging Shoe Organizer (for storage)
  • Thank You Cards/Envelopes: For the crew
Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 1

I guess I am doing it wrong.  There are a number of things on your list that are not on ours, then again we are not traveling with children but predominantly -- formal wear .. dress slacks and dress shirt is as formal as it gets since I retired.  Howver, in looking around, I think I may need to pack a suit coat / jacket for Elegant nights. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I guess I am doing it wrong.  There are a number of things on your list that are not on ours, then again we are not traveling with children but predominantly -- formal wear .. dress slacks and dress shirt is as formal as it gets since I retired.  Howver, in looking around, I think I may need to pack a suit coat / jacket for Elegant nights. 

What you described to me would not even catch my attention....what I described is just what we like to do.

I have a professional career in knowledge work, but I work at home, so I look forward to getting gussied up...same with DW

Edited by MonsterJoe