It’s Show Time

friendlyfifer

If the quality of the floor shows is an important consideration, then maybe one should look elsewhere.  Viking's vibe is low-key.  They leave the big broadway extravaganzas to the party ships.

If the shows make you consider switching cruise lines, then maybe Viking wasn't for you in the first place.

We’re fine with the Beatles (I’m a Liverpudlian after all!) and ABBA, especially if they include newer titles in the future. It’s certainly not a deal breaker for us. But what I’d like to know is - what sort of more contemporary music would critics of these two tribute shows like to hear in the theatre? It’s probably not easy to set up a production show with music that is universally popular. Especially on ships which are not targeted towards younger people. I haven’t heard any suggestions yet…

3 minutes ago, Berlin Bear said:

We’re fine with the Beatles (I’m a Liverpudlian after all!) and ABBA, especially if they include newer titles in the future. It’s certainly not a deal breaker for us. But what I’d like to know is - what sort of more contemporary music would critics of these two tribute shows like to hear in the theatre? It’s probably not easy to set up a production show with music that is universally popular. Especially on ships which are not targeted towards younger people. I haven’t heard any suggestions yet…

Viking, firstly, would need to accept that it is time for a change. They could survey current and previous passengers or look at entertainment on other cruise ships. It is an emotive subject but, at my age, it won’t be long before I think I’m hearing the Beatles and ABBA on Viking for the first time.

We've always enjoyed shows on other cruise lines but then we're biased since our daughter is a professional singer/dancer who was the production singer for Princess & Holland America for several years. On our Octantis cruise last fall we found the entertainment uninspiring despite the best efforts of the crew performers. Not a deal breaker by any means but a little more production value would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I agree with you John. Viking theaters are the worst I have seen.  Bad sight lines as the theater is basically crammed into one deck  And then there are the fellow guests  I have never seen such "theater hogs" as on Viking.  Think you can have a leisurely meal and walk to the theater 10 minutes before show time and get a decent seat??  Hah.  Peeps have been in line for an hour and chair hogs reserve half the seats.  Think all lines are like this?  Not Regent.  Not even Cunard.  And dare I say better theaters and access even on Carnival itself.  And this was on a Viking WC.

• Thanks 1

My problem with the Beatles actors is that they seem to get worse as each year goes by.  I will say that the vast majority of people that attend seem to go nuts over the group though so I'm not sure when the act will disappear from the stage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Think all lines are like this?  Not Regent.  Not even Cunard.  And dare I say better theaters and access even on Carnival itself.  And this was on a Viking WC.

Not to mention Virgin, which has outstanding entertainment

• Like 1

We are new to Viking hence the question.

Does Viking have 2 shows every night? Most of the regular cruise lines have an earlier and a late show, so checking if Viking does the same.

Thanks for your responses.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, cruise101 said:

We are new to Viking hence the question.

Does Viking have 2 shows every night? Most of the regular cruise lines have an earlier and a late show, so checking if Viking does the same.

Thanks for your responses.

One show, 9:00 PM

The “early” show is an enrichment lecture at 6:15 PM

Port Talk is 4:30 PM

On sea days times vary

If you are booking Viking for shows you are on the wrong cruise line.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thanks OneSixtyToOne for the info. Of course we are not booking Viking for the shows; just curious given we have never sailed with Viking before and trying to figure out how the evening entertainment options would fit in with the dinner schedule.

On 8/14/2024 at 11:54 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Tonight the Venus cruise director, Andre, announced the ABBA show is totally new and is debuting on this ship. It includes the newest album. He also said there will a new Beatles show performed later on this cruise.

Clearly enough of us who are Beatles and ABBA fans are still cruising, and Viking is happy to entertain us.

I know I went to both shows on my cruise 14 months ago but I can’t say I remember them. I hope I see them in December.

On 8/10/2024 at 9:39 AM, uktog said:

We must be the only people who want to see those two shows!  Everyone talked so much about them but when we were on our first cruise it was during Covid restrictions and both nights we tried to get into the theatre, it was at capacity and so for understandable safety reasons we are not allowed to join to watch the show.  
On our second Cruise there were technical issues so we didn’t see them.  We are looking forward to third and it sounds like we have missed the boat if you pardon the pun.
We are just too fond of 60s and 70s sounds to move to some of the modern stuff just yet but we will be willing to give it a go if required 

I hope you get to enjoy both shows on your next cruise! Even if it’s the new version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am a fan of both the Beatles and ABBA. As a very young child I had Beatles wallpaper in my bedroom. My point is, how long can Viking flog the two groups? Surely frequent, repeat cruisers with Viking deserve something completely new?

• Like 1