Reykjavik tour: Golden Circle or South Coast tour

Will be in Reykjavik on Viking cruise on July 3, 2025. Ship will be in port over night on July 2 and depart 6 pm July 3. Planning our own private day tour on July 3. Either the Golden Circle or the South Coast. If you’ve done either or both what are the pros and cons of each and which might you have liked better.

48 minutes ago, Lenbro1944 said:

Will be in Reykjavik on Viking cruise on July 3, 2025. Ship will be in port over night on July 2 and depart 6 pm July 3. Planning our own private day tour on July 3. Either the Golden Circle or the South Coast. If you’ve done either or both what are the pros and cons of each and which might you have liked better.

We've done both multiple times, once with a guide, once on our own.  Both are magnificent and you'll be happy with either one assuming you like incredible natural sights

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lenbro1944 said:

Ship will be in port over night on July 2 and depart 6 pm July 3. Planning our own private day tour on July 3. Either the Golden Circle or the South Coast.

By coincidence I posted only yesterday on this current thread which you might be interested to read.  (posts from #8 onwards).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3021759-newbie-ncl-northern-europe-926-106/#comment-67768730

Such a tough decision, although we only took the Golden Circle. If you think you might return at some point in the future and Reykjavik would only be a port call with shorter timings perfect for the Golden Circle but not long enough for the South Coast, with your longer hours this time around, I would be tempted to suggest you take the longer one as it may be your only opportunity,  but it is personal preference, which is why I suggested on the other thread that the OP check online videos and reviews which could be helpful in making decision.

And i agree with nitemare that either would be both enjoyable and interesting.

Edited by edinburgher

Just did both on my own a couple of months ago.  Combined them so I never returned to Reykjavik.  I would take a look at some of the guided tours and what those stops are.  See which interest you the most. The Golden Circle is a loop so you don't backtrack down the same roads.  It is also more varied in terms of the types of stops.  The time seemed to pass more quickly than on the south shore route.  On the other hand while the main stops on both routes were crowded, the Golden Circle had tour vehicles everywhere.  If you are doing this on your own zoom in on Google maps and look for the cameras.  For example we found a waterfall on the south shore called Urriðafoss.  It has the highest volume of water flowing of any fall in Iceland but there was virtually nobody there, probably because there is no bus parking.  

we did Golden Circle, booked on our own. One suggestion: All Golden Circle tours are NOT alike and I'd imagine same applies to the south coast tours. You need to look at the particulars of what's included in the one you pick. For example the GC we booked included a stop at Secret Lagoon - a thermal bath and admission to the bath (with towel) was included in the price. And we were on a 'small group' tour, a half size bus seating a dozen and not a full size tour bus.

Read the details ... there are differences .....