Power Strip and 6 USB ports Charger

TT304

I have a multi port USB A/C Type F charger which goes in the 220 outlet leaving the 110 plug available for other things.  Useful in many European country hotels as well as CDG airport!

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It used to state you cannot bring even a non-surge extension cord, not sure if that's been updated.  However, this is the one rule I violate on every sailing, as I bring a non-surge extension cord and it has never been c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ confiscated. Pro tip, put it in your luggage that goes to the porter.  The stateroom attendant usually tapes it to the carpet for us

Fixed

Be careful, maybe check with Celebrity.  I have a bag with wires for cell phone, tablet and camera that I just toss into my suitcase every time I pack.  It also has a converter for when we travel internationally. Last cruise with Celebrity we still didn't have one of our checked bags at 6 pm.  Our steward found it with security, they were holding it and held the converter - it had space for multiple usb's.  I was told I could pick it up at disembarkation.  I told them I always have that bag with me and had no issue on 13 previous cruises, they didn't care.

57 minutes ago, skatelady said:

Be careful, maybe check with Celebrity.  I have a bag with wires for cell phone, tablet and camera that I just toss into my suitcase every time I pack.  It also has a converter for when we travel internationally. Last cruise with Celebrity we still didn't have one of our checked bags at 6 pm.  Our steward found it with security, they were holding it and held the converter - it had space for multiple usb's.  I was told I could pick it up at disembarkation.  I told them I always have that bag with me and had no issue on 13 previous cruises, they didn't care.

Even if they kept it, they would have given it back at the end of the sailing

22 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Even if they kept it, they would have given it back at the end of the sailing

If I wanted to take the time to get it.  Leaving the ship I was more concerned about getting to the airport than standing around waiting for it.

A cruise ship wiring is different than your home wiring. A surge protector only breaks the current when tripped on the live electrical wire. On a ship both wires, live and neutral carry current so it won't stop the flow of electricity increasing the most dangerous thing on a cruise ship, the risk of fire. 

25 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

A cruise ship wiring is different than your home wiring. A surge protector only breaks the current when tripped on the live electrical wire. On a ship both wires, live and neutral carry current so it won't stop the flow of electricity increasing the most dangerous thing on a cruise ship, the risk of fire. 

Well, not quite.  First off, even on land, the neutral wire carries current (it has to to complete the circuit for current to flow), however, since it is at ground potential (0 volts above ground), there is no danger from that current.  

Next, what you describe as a surge protector function is a bit of misleading information from the USCG Safety Notice regarding surge protectors.  The Safety Notice unfortunately conflates a problem with a surge protector along with a problem caused by a "US type consumer power strip".  It is the power strip's circuit breaker that will only trip the "hot" leg, letting the neutral leg continue to carry current at a voltage higher than ground, that causes the risk for fire from a normal, non-surge protected, US consumer power strip.

The risk of fire from a surge protector is a whole different animal, and deals more with voltage than current, in that surge protectors used in "floating ground" systems can fail, and cause a fire, with an extremely low current level, but with small voltage fluctuations that happen full time on a ship.  These voltage fluctuations are not damaging to electronics, but a surge protector is only rated for its nominal voltage (like 120 volts) for a long period, but subjecting it to voltage swings above that nominal voltage takes away some life expectancy of the semi-conductors each time the voltage swings high.

If it's not so obvious that it will get picked up at embarkation you're probably ok.  Cabin stewards would hesitate to take any action that might annoy a passenger and jeopardize their grats or get them a low survey score. 

On 8/15/2024 at 2:49 PM, markeb said:

I’d get a corded one; that’s likely to fall out of the outlet.

☝️☝️☝️

This is a concern based on the image you posted @TT304. It varies, but I've found the main outlet on Celebrity ships features a slightly recessed access for the prongs (see photo). I use a corded hub, as others in this thread have suggested, and find it's more secure vs. a heavier brick-like unit with prongs, and seems unaffected by the slight outlet recess.

Hope this helps,

cjr

CELEBRITY_OUTLET.jpeg