Live(ish) Millennium Japan 19th Aug review

villauk

3 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Most cruise ships will eventually docking at Port Hiroshima Ujina because the area is more spacious. Yesterday we docked at Ujina wharf at 1pm and took the shuttle to Hiroshima Port, sunset time was 6:30pm, anyone who wishes to do Miyajima and Peace Park more likely “bite the bullet” to maximize the daylight times. We were on the same Miyajima ferry with 3 Celebrity groups, lucky I didn’t join the shore excursion, they were like cattle herds. The $$$ I saved, had a Japanese Oyster set lunch and Japanese curry oyster buns.

Thank you - we will definitely DIY following what you and @villauk have said. Hope you are enjoying your cruise!  

• Like 2

A relaxing sea day, tomorrow Nagasaki port and Japan exit immigration, all passengers must leave the ship before 10:20am and can reboard after 12:00pm. Wrote a how-to visit Hiroshima peace park from Ujina wharf within 4 hours for ship staffs; and howto DIY Nagasaki Mt. Inasa for few CC members. Will post how to DIY Hiroshima from Ujina wharf when I return home in late September. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Miyajima oyster set lunch

Those oysters look delicious. I saw that offered when we visited there but my wife will only eat fried oysters whereas I love them raw (with tabasco, horseradish, and lemon) or grilled.  

On 8/31/2024 at 11:10 PM, monkey@cruise said:

Went to Kobe yesterday to have a Kobe beef lunch in a butcher shop. 

Do you mind telling us the name of the butchers, or how to find?

Many thanks 

10 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Miyajima oyster set lunch

That lunch looks amazing…..definitely for me. My husband like DaKahuna wife will only eat them cooked. Had them last week just outside Bordeaux in a seaside town called Arcachon famous for oysters and Dune du Pilat the largest sand dune in Europe.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I see you are on the same cruise as us in October, hopefully we will get to say hello.

6 hours ago, Provence55always said:

That lunch looks amazing…..definitely for me. My husband like DaKahuna wife will only eat them cooked. Had them last week just outside Bordeaux in a seaside town called Arcachon famous for oysters and Dune du Pilat the largest sand dune in Europe.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I see you are on the same cruise as us in October, hopefully we will get to say hello.

@DaKahuna, @Provence55always

No raw oysters in that set lunch: grilled, pickled, fried, steamed…

The restaurant is Kakiya, website is kaki-ya.jp (do google translate), you purchase the meal ticket from a vending machine (support English) , cost is 2600 yen. The restaurant is not far from the tourist centre.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zeberdee said:

Do you mind telling us the name of the butchers, or how to find?

Many thanks 

The butcher shop is 15 walk from Sannoyima station, will post thedetails when back home because need a PC for the work.IMG_6802.thumb.jpeg.3127eba56128125c271665fb7d5a1870.jpeg

• Like 5

Hey Monkey@cruise!

You have been terrific about giving us great info about Japan!  Thanks for all your help!  One more question about medications.  Do they really check for a physician note regarding your medication?  We have all our prescriptions in their original bottles, but it does not include the specific reason why we are taking the meds.  Thanks for all your help.  Sue

1 hour ago, Davnsue said:

Do they really check for a physician note regarding your medication?

When we went I took all my prescriptions, a month's supply (9 prescription pills daily), in pill cases that I carried in my backpack.  None in original bottles, and included my Fish Oil, baby aspirin, and multivitamin.  No one made any mention or questioned me about anything.   

Also, none of mine were on the naughty list either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

When we went I took all my prescriptions, a month's supply (9 prescription pills daily), in pill cases that I carried in my backpack.  None in original bottles, and included my Fish Oil, baby aspirin, and multivitamin.  No one made any mention or questioned me about anything.   

Also, none of mine were on the naughty list either. 

Agree: no mention of any checks on medication we brought with us.

6 hours ago, Davnsue said:

Hey Monkey@cruise!

You have been terrific about giving us great info about Japan!  Thanks for all your help!  One more question about medications.  Do they really check for a physician note regarding your medication?  We have all our prescriptions in their original bottles, but it does not include the specific reason why we are taking the meds.  Thanks for all your help.  Sue

Japan is a honesty system country, they rarely check on your medication unless you have an evil look and act suspiciously. As long as your medication is not over 30 days limit, you are OK. You must declare if bringing in a CPAC machine.

• Like 2

Sunny and hot 32C in Nagasaki, lots of cruisers back onboard around 2:30pm because of the hot weather. Nothing special in Nagasaki.

Oura Cathedral 

IMG_6961.thumb.jpeg.b839fec2bb06c71e337391fb8ca4cd69.jpeg

Peace Park

IMG_6944.thumb.jpeg.d63a08efcc1bf919d0097606bf3b50e2.jpeg

Nagasaki harbour view from Glover Garden.

IMG_6958.thumb.jpeg.105d931e43c7f9997c539b4662658bfc.jpeg

Nagasaki Chinatown 

IMG_6963.thumb.jpeg.6dd480f3baf7b859ff58be50652cfa94.jpeg

• Like 3

Because of hot weather, returned to the ship earlier. Stock up candies and snack from Aeon supermarket, located near Chinatown and next to the bus terminal. (12 min walk from cruise terminal). Onboard chips are selling US $5/bag, while Aeon selling the same chips for 120 yen/bag. Juju tomorrow and Kagoshima on Monday.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

The butcher shop is 15 walk from Sannoyima station

That's great, thank you very much.

A first visit to Japan is a complex thing to organise, You Tube and the web are great sources of information for planning, but your first hand help is invaluable.

It is very much appreciated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Kagoshima

Sengan-en

IMG_7016.thumb.jpeg.39723491fa1e3dd0c5c478890fae9ab3.jpeg

IMG_7017.thumb.jpeg.0c31864e706e0dedeebb0bba12792442.jpeg

Tenmankan  shopping district

IMG_7023.thumb.jpeg.4f2ef9d460feeed63a28c7d93a5fc011.jpeg

Farewell drum show by the locals

IMG_7030.thumb.jpeg.fbd7be9d21c09b4f7a8f1cd670e0bfd7.jpeg

IMG_7031.thumb.jpeg.4b79658eb7cceddabaa16603378c6845.jpeg

We’re definitely going to make it there next time 😂👍.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JBSteelerfan said:

Are there the built in nightlights in the bathroom on Millie?  Been 6 years since our last cruise on her and can't remember.  Thanks!

Yes, built in nightlight in the bathroom floor.