What to do for 4:30pm Miami Return?

LuCruise

We have a 4:30pm flight when our cruise returns to Miami in December (to Toronto).

We've booked day hotels before when we have an evening flight, but doesn't seem worth it for an afternoon flight.

Any suggestions of what to do?  Or should we just head to the airport and make it a long day of waiting around?

We're trying to be cost effective so although the ship has an excursion, it doesn't fit in our budget. 

I would get off the ship with the last guests,  and just head over to the airport. Then just people-watch, have a coffee, catch up on emails, have ice cream or a late lunch and before you know it, it's time to board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's supposed to be a luggage storage facility in the airport. The website says it's in central terminal E but I haven't used it myself so can't confirm. Maybe you could head straight to the airport, leave your bags there for a while, and then use the public transit system to go to Bayside for a wander and some lunch.

There's also a bar/restaurant in the Miami Airport Hotel, also located in central terminal E. It's called Viena and is open to the public, not just hotel residents. It's a much quieter place than the pandemonium that is the airport proper. The food is decent and (I felt) reasonably priced. You can use the hotel's free wifi and the bathrooms are way better than the ones in the airport concourse. The only thing is I think it doesn't open until noon and you'd be at the airport well before that so potentially not the best option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

Check resortpass.com for hotels offering passes to their beach/pool/spa facilities - swim, relax and grab lunch before heading to the airport.

Thanks.  That's what we do when we have a flight at say 6pm or later, but for 4:30pm, we'd probably check out at 1:30pm or so.  Then again, some do offer shorter day passes so maybe it's worth looking into, at least to split up the hours a bit.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

There's supposed to be a luggage storage facility in the airport. The website says it's in central terminal E but I haven't used it myself so can't confirm. Maybe you could head straight to the airport, leave your bags there for a while, and then use the public transit system to go to Bayside for a wander and some lunch.

There's also a bar/restaurant in the Miami Airport Hotel, also located in central terminal E. It's called Viena and is open to the public, not just hotel residents. It's a much quieter place than the pandemonium that is the airport proper. The food is decent and (I felt) reasonably priced. You can use the hotel's free wifi and the bathrooms are way better than the ones in the airport concourse. The only thing is I think it doesn't open until noon and you'd be at the airport well before that so potentially not the best option.

Thank you.  Ah true, it'll probably be too early to even check in our luggage when we get there. If we went to the airport, we'd probably just stay there.  But  the nice restaurant may be an idea, and with a different view, even if it's at one of the terminals.  Will note the idea.  Thanks.  It splits up the day a bit.

• Like 1

You can do what I do after Delta changes my 2:50 flight to 7:50 then changes that to 8:30: Dayuse, which is sort of similar to resort pass. 😒 DH has mobility issues so many options are off the table. Yes, the luggage storage is on 2nd level of Central Terminal E. MIA has access to all areas after one security check. Good luck to you.

I just googled Dayuse and Resortpass.  They are both useful and a little different from each other.

Dayuse includes the actual hotel room with bed/bath, and so would provide the place to drop luggage for the day.

Resortpass provides use of the pools, cabanas, ocean access if just using as a stop on your cruise that has Miami as a port day.

Both really good websites for me to know so thanks for this info!

• Like 2