Queen Mary 2 - Britannia Club cabin question

FSW2024

9 hours ago, Pushpit said:

The active ingredient in Stugeron (which is marketed in the USA as well) is Cinnarizine. The chemist should have asked you about history or family history of Parkinson's as well as epilepsy. If they did that, you met a good pharmacist.  

In my experience, they ask if you’ve had the medication before, and, if you say you have, that is the end of the conversation.

• Like 1

I’m looking into a lot of the anti-sickness stuff, but with some of them, like Stugeron, I don’t think you can drink when taking them or that’s the advice anyway. 

On 8/19/2024 at 9:35 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Good plan FSW2024. If you are able to move to deck 13, those cabins have glass shower doors while on deck 12 you have a shower curtain. 

Jack

Yes, I was really pleased to get a cabin on 13 as I much prefer a shower door as opposed to a curtain. 

On 8/20/2024 at 4:52 PM, david,Mississauga said:

Regarding the Deck 13 Club staterooms, I will add one other thing I like: the balcony doors slide rather than open out to the balcony.

There is, however, a risk of motion being so far forward and high up.  I agree that the QM2 is remarkably stable, but all ships are prone to pitching in bumpy seas.  Of my 10 voyages (mostly crossings) we have encountered serious pitching only twice and it was only for one night.  That will not deter me from booking our next two voyages on Deck 13.

Thanks to those who have mentioned Stugeron.  It has been highly recommended.  When embarking in the UK I can buy it.  We never needed it (I know like all remedies it has to be taken before you feel sick, but we accepted the captain's prediction). I'm sure the last box has expired. 

Yes, I know I’m in the worst place on D13 if there is a lot of motion. The way I’m looking at it is, as this is only a very short trip, it’s just a test to see how I get on.

One of my friends wants to go transatlantic to New York within the next couple of years and there’s no point in me agreeing to go if I get really seasick or if I don’t enjoy cruising for any reason. So best to have a trial run with a short one first.

it’s actually another friends 60th birthday at the end of next week so I’ve bought this trip for us as a present for her although she’ll have to wait awhile for it being May next year. So it’s sort of ‘dual purpose’ in that it gives me a chance to try it out as well. My friend has been on one short cruise before which I think was with Celebrity. I think she’s going to be pretty surprised when she opens the envelope next Friday though. 🙂 I’ve printed off a load of colour pictures of the QM2, cabin, restaurant etc & am posting them to her, with strict instructions not to open it until next Friday! 🙂 I’ve told her I’m taking her ‘somewhere’ and she’s put the May dates in her diary, but she doesn’t know where yet! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FSW2024 said:

Yes, I know I’m in the worst place on D13 if there is a lot of motion. The way I’m looking at it is, as this is only a very short trip, it’s just a test to see how I get on.

One of my friends wants to go transatlantic to New York within the next couple of years and there’s no point in me agreeing to go if I get really seasick or if I don’t enjoy cruising for any reason. So best to have a trial run with a short one first.

it’s actually another friends 60th birthday at the end of next week so I’ve bought this trip for us as a present for her although she’ll have to wait awhile for it being May next year. So it’s sort of ‘dual purpose’ in that it gives me a chance to try it out as well. My friend has been on one short cruise before which I think was with Celebrity. I think she’s going to be pretty surprised when she opens the envelope next Friday though. 🙂 I’ve printed off a load of colour pictures of the QM2, cabin, restaurant etc & am posting them to her, with strict instructions not to open it until next Friday! 🙂 I’ve told her I’m taking her ‘somewhere’ and she’s put the May dates in her diary, but she doesn’t know where yet! 

I hope she has a suitable passport.

29 minutes ago, FSW2024 said:

I’m looking into a lot of the anti-sickness stuff, but with some of them, like Stugeron, I don’t think you can drink when taking them or that’s the advice anyway. 

That’s right, but only at the time. For instance, we were once scheduled to encounter quite a fierce gale in the channel the night after leaving Southampton. The Captain advised us not to drink with dinner, take a seasickness pill before retiring, and with luck we would sleep through the whole thing. Which is what happened. Drinking then resumed. Anyway I suspect you’ll be fine between Southampton and Hamburg.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FSW2024 said:

The chances are you will be fine.  I didn't want to discourage you, but to share my experiences. I have done two transatlantics on that deck and on one crossing there was no problem at all. On the other one it was only one evening and over-night.  One out of 14 is not bad.  My next TA is booked in 13037.  It was actually worse one time when we were on Deck 10 forward. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I hope she has a suitable passport.

My friend has a valid passport. It’s mine that ran out years ago so I’ve got to get a new one soon. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 4:52 PM, david,Mississauga said:

Regarding the Deck 13 Club staterooms, I will add one other thing I like: the balcony doors slide rather than open out to the balcony.

There is, however, a risk of motion being so far forward and high up.  I agree that the QM2 is remarkably stable, but all ships are prone to pitching in bumpy seas.  Of my 10 voyages (mostly crossings) we have encountered serious pitching only twice and it was only for one night.  That will not deter me from booking our next two voyages on Deck 13.

Thanks to those who have mentioned Stugeron.  It has been highly recommended.  When embarking in the UK I can buy it.  We never needed it (I know like all remedies it has to be taken before you feel sick, but we accepted the captain's prediction). I'm sure the last box has expired. 

David, re: deck 13, are there any lifeboats obscuring the view from balconies?  Or, would it be obvious if you were booking a Britannia Balcony room with an obstructed view? In other words, do they have to tell you in advance? Thx

Posted (edited)

We were in 13033 from 6th to 14th August. No problems with seasickness although we had a quite bumpy night on the North Sea. 

But the on and off and on and off vibrations, which have nothing to do with the ship sailing, for we had it in ports as well, - even on the first day standing in Hamburg, all the time - , were really very unsettling. When it's on everything is trembling under you, the floor, the bed, bottles very near to each other are rattling a bit, you can see it on the surface of a glass of water as well, my husband actually made a video of that. On the first day it felt like all our insides and our brain was being shaken in our body, from the second day we got kind of used to it, but we did not like it a bit. 🙂 The Britannia Club - to which we were upgraded - as such was great, but I won't book or accept a room on or over deck 10 ever, because I only found reports of these vibrations from people who were on these decks. There's a review here on CC from someone who wrote he canceled the return leg of his TA because of it... 

My husband (who is a technician) said the vibration is on a very disturbing frequency, but maybe not all people are receptive / sensitive to it....? Most people don't mention it at all, but some wrote that on some sailings they felt it and on others not. A mistery. 🙂

Edited by Caipi

On our very first Crossing on the QM2, back in 2017, we were in cabin 12022 and almost immediately noticed the vibrations which came and went. Since this was our very first cruise of any kind and didn't really know what to expect, so we thought this was "normal". The vibrations didn't bother us and we soon didn't even notice them. However, on the second night of the Crossing we were fortunate enough to be invited to dine with the Deputy Captain (now the QE Captain) and I asked him about the vibrations. He said he was aware of them and the cause was the large washing machines on the ship. That sometimes when two or more are in the spin cycle they can set up a harmonic vibration that is felt on the upper forward decks. At first I laughed because I thought he was kidding but he assured me this was actually the case. To this day I still don't know if he was pulling my leg or not but that would explain the randomness of the vibrations, even when the ship wasn't moving. It's just one more quirky thing about the QM2 that adds to our love for this great ship.

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

On our very first Crossing on the QM2, back in 2017, we were in cabin 12022 and almost immediately noticed the vibrations which came and went. Since this was our very first cruise of any kind and didn't really know what to expect, so we thought this was "normal". The vibrations didn't bother us and we soon didn't even notice them. However, on the second night of the Crossing we were fortunate enough to be invited to dine with the Deputy Captain (now the QE Captain) and I asked him about the vibrations. He said he was aware of them and the cause was the large washing machines on the ship. That sometimes when two or more are in the spin cycle they can set up a harmonic vibration that is felt on the upper forward decks. At first I laughed because I thought he was kidding but he assured me this was actually the case. To this day I still don't know if he was pulling my leg or not but that would explain the randomness of the vibrations, even when the ship wasn't moving. It's just one more quirky thing about the QM2 that adds to our love for this great ship.

Jack

Yes I read that explanation here in an older topic, (that's how I found this webpage in the first place - Googling 'vibrations on QM 2' :D,) maybe it was you as well who wrote it. 🙂 I understand your hesitation to believe it, it really sounds weird, but my husband, the mentioned maintenance technician says it could be true. However, in that case they must be washing all the time, 24/7. And I definitely do not love that quirk :), I could live with it again but we both hope we won't feel it in 8014 the next time... it's even more forward than 13033 was, but at least several decks below.  

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 11:12 AM, Caipi said:

We were in 13033 from 6th to 14th August. No problems with seasickness although we had a quite bumpy night on the North Sea. 

But the on and off and on and off vibrations, which have nothing to do with the ship sailing, for we had it in ports as well, - even on the first day standing in Hamburg, all the time - , were really very unsettling. When it's on everything is trembling under you, the floor, the bed, bottles very near to each other are rattling a bit, you can see it on the surface of a glass of water as well, my husband actually made a video of that. On the first day it felt like all our insides and our brain was being shaken in our body, from the second day we got kind of used to it, but we did not like it a bit. 🙂 The Britannia Club - to which we were upgraded - as such was great, but I won't book or accept a room on or over deck 10 ever, because I only found reports of these vibrations from people who were on these decks. There's a review here on CC from someone who wrote he canceled the return leg of his TA because of it... 

My husband (who is a technician) said the vibration is on a very disturbing frequency, but maybe not all people are receptive / sensitive to it....? Most people don't mention it at all, but some wrote that on some sailings they felt it and on others not. A mistery. 🙂

Thanks for this. Very useful. Next May we’re actually in 6 cabins down from the one you’ve mentioned. It’ll be interested to see if I experience the same re-vibrations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FSW2024 said:

Thanks for this. Very useful. Next May we’re actually in 6 cabins down from the one you’ve mentioned. It’ll be interested to see if I experience the same re-vibrations. 

I hope for you you do not. 🙂 

On 8/19/2024 at 8:14 PM, FSW2024 said:

Hello, I don’t know if anyone could help me with a query on QM2, Britannia Club Balcony rooms.

I’ve never been on a cruise before, and I’ve just booked a 4 day trip on QM2 for next May (2025) incl a day in Hamburg for myself and a friend. 

At this stage, I have no idea if I would be prone to sea sickness as, like explained, I’ve never cruised before.

We’ve been allocated Britannia Club Balcony Stateroom 12025 and when searching this number in relation to QM2, I found the below short review which has rather concerned me . .

‘Britannia Club Balcony.

Vibrations felt often in 12025 and 12027, occasionally very annoying. Great balcony, horrible beds’.

I’ve looked at the deck plan and I can see that the room also has a connecting door which I don’t really like as I’ve read there can be noise heard from neighbouring cabins.

Obviously, as I’ve booked so far in advance, it’s easy to change my stateroom but, to be honest, I’ve got no idea *what* to change it to, if you see what I mean?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

The main issue with those cabins could be that they are high up and forward where motion will be most

However a 4 day cruise to Hamburg is English Channel and North Sea. Shouldn’t be anything like the North Atlantic. QM2 may barely move. 

Had joining doors in QG QM2 and heard nothing so it’s pot luck. You should be able to move cabins as you’d have paid Cunard fare to know what cabin you have already. 

55 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

The main issue with those cabins could be that they are high up and forward where motion will be most

However a 4 day cruise to Hamburg is English Channel and North Sea. Shouldn’t be anything like the North Atlantic. QM2 may barely move. 

Had joining doors in QG QM2 and heard nothing so it’s pot luck. You should be able to move cabins as you’d have paid Cunard fare to know what cabin you have already. 

Post #17

On 8/19/2024 at 4:41 PM, Pushpit said:

I am also prone to sea-sickness, once on a lake! But QM2 you may get the odd lurch but it's remarkably stable. I was on the QM2 that got held in the German Bight due to rough seas, seas so rough that the Hamburg Elbe pilot was unable to safely board QM2. Without the pilot QM2 cannot enter the Elbe. At the time, after dinner, I thought it was a little frisky outside - they closed off all promenade decks - but didn't think much of it, went to bed. Next morning I was quite surprised to get the captain's announcement that we were still many hours from Hamburg. Some of the other guests over breakfast didn't believe the captain's message.   But my message is that you won't get any clue as to whether you a prone to sea sickness since QM2 is like no other ship on the sea. Plus that route is much more likely to be very smooth.

When the weather is bad, the QM2 actually seems more stable, as they turn the stabilising fins on, which are very effective, but expensive to run.  So on my crossing just completed, the patch when we encountered ex Hurricane Ernesto was gale force winds on deck, but the ship’s movement wasn’t that great.  We had more pitching the first day at open sea, when winds were light but there was a significant swell in the sea, perhaps running ahead of the storm. That day I guess they didn’t use the stabiliser but did kindly put out the sick bags by the lifts.  Not that I saw anyone needing them.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2024 at 8:12 PM, buchanan101 said:

I did manage to move cabins from Deck 12 to Deck 13, but I do read a lot about Deck 13 being particularly problematic with vibrations. There seems to be a body of opinion that it’s actually caused by the commercial sized washing/spin dryer machines they use onboard and that Decks 12 & 13 are most affected. Mind you some reviews of Deck 13 don’t seem to mention it at all so I don’t think I’ll really know until I get there. I actually found an old discussion thread specifically about Deck 13 (below) and my allocated cabin number is mentioned as one that the occupants didn’t experience any vibration problems with so fingers crossed!

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2577953-qm2-vibration-on-deck-13/

• Like 1