YVRteacher’s dad is on a cruise! Live from the Jewel Aug 19- Sept 2, 2024

10 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I’m so glad we saved the aerial show, Celestial Pas de Deux, for this week.  It was the best aerial show we have ever seen. My dad was saying ‘wow’ repeatedly. Maks and Viktorija did things hanging from their toes inside out and backward that I didn’t know the human body could do.

When Maks had his spectacular aerial solo his pants split open. At first it was a little tear but by the end they were full on hanging open and he was not wearing boxers or briefs. It must have felt pretty drafty because he gave a full butt wiggle at the end and did a little finger point to acknowledge the split.

We didn’t see the Northern Lights on this cruise but we sure did get a full moon.

I guess NCL reduced their budget for strong thread.  These cutbacks are brutal.

I am reading this with the biggest smile on my face.  Thank you for your humor and the example of grace that you have with your father.

• Like 7

@YVRteacher I have really enjoyed this review.  Your time with Dad is so special.

I am very sorry for your poor NCL experiences, totally unacceptable.  Change is not easy for any of us especially after we have been in any kind of comfort zone.  I have found as I have gotten older (currently 72) that change is even more uncomfortable.

I know you will do what is best for both you and Dad.

Thank you for taking us along with your cruise adventures, both with Dad and solo!

• Like 5

@YVRteacher…first and foremost, thanks for the time and effort you put into this, and every review you’ve done.  

2nd…I’ve observed some of the whining on this board (and many other cruise line boards) on this site.  YOU are not whining.  If my toilet didn’t work, my food was cold, I was summarily dismissed by Customer Service?  I would have been apoplectic.

I also agree that $500 for your troubles is not enough.  I was thinking double, maybe triple that!  Or, a 35% cruise discount.

At the end of the day, I’m happy to hear you made lemonade out of lemons!

• Like 16

Thank you so much for your live.  I love your reviews, your writing style is engaging and humorous.  Your photography skills are amazing and your photos help share an appreciation for things we often just overlook.

You and your Dad have a special bond that some of us don’t or didn’t have.  Thank you for sharing your relationship in such a funny way.  I will never forget Dad’s full Monty moment from last cruise…it will always make me laugh.

I can only imagine the emotions you must have felt when the pompous and presumptuous GS team showed so little regard to you and Dad’s value as loyal, high-paying NCL guests.  That is the team that needs to get the boot.  

All-in-all, soooo happy you made lasting memories and you took us along.  Thank you and your handsome, somewhat forgetful main character.  ❤️

• Like 14

21 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

We were told by the GM the maximum he is allowed to grant onboard is $500.

That is a big problem. The person closest to the problem should be trusted to solve the problem as they see fit. I can see a limit on the desk staff maybe but not a GM. 

• Like 2

Thank you do much for taking us along, and it saddens me so much that this was your experience. They absolutely should be comping this last cruise. The Jewel was my first NCL cruise, and I would be so upset if I had your experience. Things lately are just not great with the line, and I don't see them getting better soon. Little cuts here and there and lack of training all adds up to bad experiences. I hope you do get to try Viva and have a more positive experience ❤️

• Like 5

Sorry for not posting more from the Jewel today! This is the first week of school and I am busy, busy, busy (in a great way!) Today I was at a workshop with 129 other teacher librarians about how to create an inclusive space, SOGI, anti racism, anti oppression and training on the online system that we use for cataloging, circulation and statistics. It was a great day but the conference centre did not have air conditioning and it was 29 degrees Celsius here. We were 130 hot librarians!

I love my school and our library and our kids and our staff team and am happy to be back.

Up next in this trip report? The Latitudes Behind the Scenes tour where we got to visit the incinerator and the garbage room.  I am not being sarcastic: this was my favourite part of the tour, although I did love how the wardrobe supervisor showed us so many quick-change tricks.

Also coming up

1. The breakfast where I was served ham. Can you even imagine the atrocity? (That was sarcasm.)

2.  The pub in Ketchikan where I tried to teach my dad how to pet a dog (this went about as well as when I tried to teach him how to float last week)

3. The best veggie burger I have ever had.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

For me, the plumbing issue and it not being fixed or moving you to another room is the end. We were on the fence, but it’s Princess next time for us. As far as Dads wardrobe you may have to take my approach with my Richs weight loss. Buy him a new pared down wardrobe. Shirts were ok but new undies, pants and belts were needed. Unfortunately, the sad side of dementia is their lack of appetite. Except for sweets. Our motto: let him eat cake, pie, ice cream …. ML

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Day 6

Ketchikan

Behind the Scenes started with a time in the 8 o’clock range instead of the 7s so this was more reasonable (but still too early) and we did the tour today.

It was quite different from tours in the past. We were divided into two groups and there was not a security guard accompanying us. This is the first time we have done the tour without a security guard and I’m curious what others are experiencing.

They were very strict about not taking photos in the dressing rooms per usual but also would not allow us to take photos in the galley. 

I don’t even know the name of the Cruise Next person who did the tour because her hair was always covering her name tag. I do know that her husband is on board, she has been with NCL for 7 years, is from Morocco and she does not get any wifi signal in her cabin so she has to come and sit in the hallway near the bow to get wifi.

We learned a lot about doors on this tour! We learned how doors are numbered. I don’t mean cabin doors but all the doors throughout the crew areas and all the public doors. There is a deck number, zone number and individual door number. The water tight doors have a little notch in the bottom (that looks like a cat pet door) and this is so it can be kicked open and a fire hose can be inserted. Check for this the next time you do a Behind the Scenes Tour.

• Like 12

We started in the main galley between Azura and the Palace and chef Perry met us at the entrance. We did not tour the galley but just stayed in one spot. Chef Perry told us about his history with NCL, how people are promoted and what skills are needed to be a cruise ship chef.

He also spoke to us about what crew eat. This was interesting! I’ve seen the crew mess on several Behind the Scenes tours but didn’t know that there is a 14 day menu cycle for crew. There are Indonesian chefs, Filipino chefs and Indian chefs specifically for crew. NCL does a special meal and celebration for crew on each country’s national day or independence day.  I wonder if they serve poutine on July 1? We were told that every nationality of crew on board would have their Independence Day honoured. I like this!🥰

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

While NCL has 21 dinner menu options, the Jewel is operating on a 7 day cycle at this time. This is for dinners in the MDR.

On this ship breakfast is a 3 day cycle and lunch is also a 3 day cycle.

Did you know that the main galley for the Garden Cafe is on deck 3? All the food is cooked there then there is a small satellite galley on deck 12 where food is finished and put into serving dishes. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Next up on the Behind the Scenes tour is the Stardust Theatre.

IMG_4855.thumb.jpeg.52f8d14d902ef376a976dfc4066a403a.jpeg

How many seats are in this theatre?

Of these seats, all 1080 are uncomfortable.

Dustin, the production manager, explained that the production cast for Le Cirque Bijoux and Rock You Tonight rehearses for 6 weeks in Tampa then has 9 days to install the shows on the Jewel before opening night. The production cast members are on a six month contract.

Dustin blatantly lied to us. He said NCL is basing their theatre shows and entertainment on what people want. 

Nope. If that was true Six wouldn’t have been removed. What is true is NCL is in significant debt and they cut back their entertainment budget drastically. None of the cuts were designed to give people what they want (ie good shows!)

Wardrobe supervisor Brian took us into the dressing rooms and talked about the vodka spritz and the quick change hacks such as Velcro instead of buttons, elastic shoe laces and elastic cuffs. He showed us the male shirts with their attached “diapers” that keep them tucked into pants. Those did not look comfy to me!

I asked Brian about the split pants in the show and he avoided the question.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Our final destination was the laundry room but a last minute itinerary change occurred and here we are in the garbage room!  In my opinion this was a delightful change of plan because I have never been to the garbage room before.  The Cruise Next lady called it the incinerator room.  I could not hear what the crew member said but given these crushed cans and crushed glass photos I assume he told us they crush the cans and crush the glass. My powers of inference are strong.

IMG_4856.thumb.jpeg.9038338892427fd625dc5fcb313e35fa.jpeg

IMG_4857.thumb.jpeg.83af0c75e330493bd8f6257770b3d43e.jpeg

IMG_4858.thumb.jpeg.39a7d2aace0ab654b33e657d42873e7b.jpeg

This is the glass crushing machine

IMG_4859.thumb.jpeg.17f27ad6c226c2c683829a2c79334425.jpeg

This machine does something else. I couldn’t hear what.

IMG_4860.thumb.jpeg.322086159fabcbde196fc42cf50092ac.jpeg

IMG_4861.thumb.jpeg.213c015a0cb924046b46663d5034e91f.jpeg

The garbage room was clean and organized. It didn’t smell at all.  I would have liked to have seen sorting in progress. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Neither of us were hungry for breakfast before the Behind the Scenes tour so we had two options after morning trivia (we came 2nd to a team of six.) Option one was the Great Outdoors and option two was O’Sheehan’s.  The hair in the nachos grossed me out so much we hadn’t returned to eat at O’Sheehan’s. This was a chance for NCL to redeem themselves.

It took quite a while before a waiter came. I ordered and asked him to please write my order down after he didn’t take notes.

I ordered the breakfast sandwich with cheese and fried egg over hard (since that powdered egg business they use for scrambled “eggs” is watery and nasty.) I specifically said no ham and no breakfast potatoes. 

We both requested coffee.

The waiter brought a carafe and poured it.

The coffee looked like this. I 100% promise you this is not tea. This is the “coffee” NCL served. I tasted it. I repeat: this is coffee, not tea.

IMG_4868.thumb.jpeg.627ddfb105ea15fa5607996b1eb50584.jpeg

I sent the carafe back but kept the mug on the table and asked for properly brewed coffee. This came and it was much better.

IMG_4869.thumb.jpeg.6a09f19f94d06aeedc851cfde7cd3277.jpeg

Then the fruit salad came. It was fine. No berries and no wow but acceptable. 

IMG_4870.thumb.jpeg.663e3594cc17756038e43adba4ec13dc.jpeg

What did they bring for my food after I SPECIFICALLY said no ham?

Big old sandwich with ham.

IMG_4872.thumb.jpeg.d3a0e68a62c01fa607abaab5f4497d2a.jpeg

I took a photo and sent it back. Then I asked to speak to the restaurant manager, Wilson.  I showed him the unacceptable coffee and he said they are running water through the grounds twice without changing the grounds. He also said that all the coffee for all the restaurants is brewed in the galley for O’Sheehan’s.

Wilson checked and the waiter wrote my order down exactly as requested so it was the chef that didn’t follow through. Wilson spoke to the chef. I also told Wilson that the people next to us were seated before us and they hadn’t received their food yet. They thanked me. When they did receive their food it was missing the eggs the husband had ordered.

Wilson apologized. How many apologies have we received for wrong orders, poorly cooked food, items in food that should not be there and food that was served at the incorrect temperature? Way too many.

The restaurant manager said he didn’t know what else to do.

He offered to have a meal made for me tonight in Cagney’s. I told him I needed protein and that I love lentils. He asked if I liked paneer. I said yes but I needed protein (I can’t just eat cheese on a cruise!) I asked for lentils and told him I normally eat the Indian food in the buffet on NCL but it is too spicy on this ship. I asked for lentils again. I was pretty emphatic about the lentils and dal.

• Like 13

As soon as we returned to the cabin the Guest Services Manager, Emil, phoned to check on the toilet. For the first time on this leg of the cruise (day 6) we woke up to working toilets.

I let Emil know about the continued screw-ups with our food and service. 

He repeated what Fabrice said: that the highest they can authorize on board is $500 in compensation. I told him I would accept this but it was not enough for what we have experienced the last two weeks. Emil stated, “I agree.”

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Now we are in the Pr1ma class presentation in Spinnaker. I burst out laughing when she said the Haven deluxe owners suite has 4 bathrooms then I realized it wasn’t a joke.

I secured us bar drinks before they shut down Spinnaker while in Ketchikan. My piña colada tastes like soap.
IMG_4874.thumb.jpeg.69c7658f9ccd55895d724efb9519c7da.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1