YVRteacher’s dad is on a cruise! Live from the Jewel Aug 19- Sept 2, 2024

What you were given for a "settlement" is no one's business but your own, but were you given any assurances that the training of staff and managers on board would be addressed? I'm scheduled on the Jewel in January. Since I'm not vegetarian, the food issues may not be similar, but the cleanliness, etc., would not make me happy if it doesn't improve.

• Like 1

We were not given assurances that training would be addressed because they can not assure this.  As I mentioned we were told by the GM that quality, trained staff were all going to the big ships. NCL is not staffing the smaller ships well and it shows.

Personally, I will never sail an NCL smaller ship again as in the last two years the Star, the Spirit and the Jewel have completely failed to accommodate a vegetarian diet in a way that includes protein. 

I have also come to the conclusion that paying for suites and the Haven is not worth it (for myself and my dad. This is of course a personal opinion.) Can NCL give a $10000 per person per week in the Haven “worth it” experience? Nope. So my money will be going to other cruise lines.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

We were not given assurances that training would be addressed because they can not assure this ... So my money will be going to other cruise lines.

It's good to read that someone on NCL's upper echelon finally "get" it and being connected via CC does, perhaps, carry a little weight.  Maybe, this will get dirty Harry's and one of the deputy's attention, news do travel and especially ... 

Is your thinking and planning ahead now  in spending cruise dollars to / among other lines and taking NCL out of the formula ?  I see us reallocating and spreading our rudders and wings. 

Lido options (buffet) on other lines are as good as, if not better, than what is served nowadays on a certain cruise line that many of us had come to fondly love and go to, until we called them up and said, wait a minute ... let's pause and suspend, and re-evaluate.   

I am guessing that now that you are back in the education arena, the next cruise will not happen until the next school break/holiday.  

• Like 3

Yes, back to work means cruises are during winter break, spring break and summer break with a likely little birthday jaunt in May.  All my upcoming cruises are on Princess. I do have a free Ambassador cruise, some CruiseNext certificates and the compensation cruise(s) with NCL.

I’m not writing off NCL completely because I do love cruising solo sometimes and NCL has solo cabins and pricing. Paying 200% solo supplement on Princess is not sustainable financially. I want to experience the Prima class and I would like to try the Joy and the Escape.

With my dislike of noise, many people have recommended Holland America. Now that I’ve branched out and tried another company I’m ready to try all the ocean cruise lines. I regret staying loyal to one cruise line for so many years.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

You have had many very enjoyable NCL cruises in the past, so it is quite understandable that you stayed with them, and will try some of their other ships.

Since Covid, all of the lines have had a myriad of cutbacks that devotees have noticed, at least here on CC. Now that cruisers have returned, some ships/lines are doing a much better job than others bringing the great experiences back. Unfortunately, you have had a couple of very poor cruises service-wise, so, there are plenty of fish in the sea for you to sample now! (so to speak)..
  • Like 1

Yes, back to work means cruises are during winter break, spring break and summer break with a likely little birthday jaunt in May.  All my upcoming cruises are on Princess. I do have a free Ambassador cruise, some CruiseNext certificates and the compensation cruise(s) with NCL.

I’m not writing off NCL completely because I do love cruising solo sometimes and NCL has solo cabins and pricing. Paying 200% solo supplement on Princess is not sustainable financially. I want to experience the Prima class and I would like to try the Joy and the Escape.

With my dislike of noise, many people have recommended Holland America. Now that I’ve branched out and tried another company I’m ready to try all the ocean cruise lines. I regret staying loyal to one cruise line for so many years.

I've followed along with you.  I was recently on the Jewel Tokyo back to Alaska.  It was very well run but since you mentioned that the best staff are being moved to the bigger ships, I am thinking that may have been a big difference for you.  Rumi was so good.

I have been doing some research for other cruise lines as well, upcoming itineraries on NCL have increased astronomically. I moved a cruise that included the West Coast of Africa to accommodate an Australia itinerary I have been waiting (patiently) to appear. I find that now the Africa cruise with the identical itinerary in 2026 is almost triple the cost!  I am so upset.

I have sailed Royal and Celebrity in the past.  I am currently looking at and doing research on MSC.  Their prices are very attractive, the itineraries are good but I don't know anyone who has sailed on her.  I do like that they will match your status from another cruise or hotel status.  You have to sail within three years after setting up that match.

I hope things will all work out.

12 minutes ago, lizygirl3 said:

Have been ready everything since the beginning.  What was the resolution???

It's none of our business to know what resolution was as long as she and her Dad were happy with it. Don't mean to be rude or anything, just stating facts..

• Like 12

My husband and I were never loyal to any one cruise line. Over the years we've done Celebrity, Princess, Royal, Holland, NCL, MSC and even Costa. We booked by price and itinerary/dates. We had the highest number of NCL (platinum) and HAL (3 star) cruises, but I always had to laugh a bit when the NCL passengers put down the other cruise lines as being inferior. I used to rate Celebrity the highest, followed by Princess and HAL. Then the rest. I have no idea if that is still the case after reading the boards for all of them and the cut backs in service, entertainment and food.

Fast forward. My husband passed away almost 2 years ago. I decided I could continue to do what I love or stay home by myself. I have taken 4 cruises since his passing, and have 2 more on the schedule. Some are with family, but several are solo. Although I find some of the other cruise lines superior for food, etc., I have booked my solo cruises with NCL. They have a great solo program - price, meet ups, etc. And, even though I am not a big drinker and many days do not even drink enough to cover the gratuities on free at sea - I do like the program compared to other lines.

I have always enjoyed your reviews and learn so much from you. I hope you continue to enjoy your sailing days whether solo or with your wonderful father.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, lizygirl3 said:

Have been ready everything since the beginning.  What was the resolution???

I believe that they ask people not to disclose the terms of any settlement. This is probably to prevent future people from demanding the same amounts so they can offer less if someone will accept less.

16 hours ago, vswan said:

My husband and I were never loyal to any one cruise line. Over the years we've done Celebrity, Princess, Royal, Holland, NCL, MSC and even Costa. We booked by price and itinerary/dates. We had the highest number of NCL (platinum) and HAL (3 star) cruises, but I always had to laugh a bit when the NCL passengers put down the other cruise lines as being inferior. I used to rate Celebrity the highest, followed by Princess and HAL. Then the rest. I have no idea if that is still the case after reading the boards for all of them and the cut backs in service, entertainment and food.

Fast forward. My husband passed away almost 2 years ago. I decided I could continue to do what I love or stay home by myself. I have taken 4 cruises since his passing, and have 2 more on the schedule. Some are with family, but several are solo. Although I find some of the other cruise lines superior for food, etc., I have booked my solo cruises with NCL. They have a great solo program - price, meet ups, etc. And, even though I am not a big drinker and many days do not even drink enough to cover the gratuities on free at sea - I do like the program compared to other lines.

I have always enjoyed your reviews and learn so much from you. I hope you continue to enjoy your sailing days whether solo or with your wonderful father.

I am in the exact same "boat" so to speak.  My husband passed away 7 years ago and I decided to see the parts of the world that he and I had planned to.  For me as a solo traveler I found that NCL really fit the bill and I have been to incredible global destinations and been happy.  I have sailed on Celebrity, RCCL & Carnival but never MSC and I am curious to see how they are in comparison.   I am hoping that NCL works out all their "growing pains" soon and for now I will still sail on her.

@YVRteacher...thanks for the follow up.  

I had been looking to perhaps sail one of the Spririt Class ships.  And, it's been a while since I sailed a Jewel Class (GEM).  Makes sense that the seasoned personnel goes to the bigger ships.

So, guess I'll stick with the Breakaway, Breakaway Plus and Prima class ships.

• Like 4

@YVRteacher It was great to meet you!

Unfortunately, your toilet troubles followed me on the Jewel last week. I was on floor 8 and only had a toilet part time. Each and every day I had to call Customer Service or visit them about said toilet.  Sometimes (often) I had to do this several times a day.

I was going to purchase a future cruise credit certificate. I didn’t. My next few cruises are not NCL

I really wanted to like the smaller ships.  Sigh………

Edited by AmyJA
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AmyJA said:

Oh....and I know that this was going on with my cabin the week before because there was a message on the phone from CS asking if he was good with the toilet. 

Wow...so sorry to hear that you faced the same toilet troubles, @AmyJA. Hope the rest of your cruise was enjoyable.

I had a similar experience on the Gem back in August 2021. On the third day when the toilet was still inoperable, I asked to be moved to another cabin. Guest services had the audacity to tell me that there were no cabins available, during a time when everyone knew that the ships were sailing at 50%. I told the staff member that I fully understood that she might not be able to help me, so I would stand aside at the end of the counter and wait for her manager for as long as necessary until they can find another cabin for me. It did not take very long.

Of course, as the ships are sailing at full capacity nowadays, moving to another cabin seems unlikely. I shudder at the thought of playing toilet roulette on my sailing next month. Fingers, toes and legs crossed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Wow...so sorry to hear that you faced the same toilet troubles, @AmyJA. Hope the rest of your cruise was enjoyable ... I shudder at the thought of playing toilet roulette on my sailing next month. Fingers, toes and legs crossed.

Perhaps, ask for extra towels in the cabin, be prepared - just in case ... this was our Getaway balcony, March 2022, 1st return to cruising with NCL.  Imagine stumbled into that mini-pool in the middle of the night, flip the light switch & step inside without first looking.  Thankfully (hey, gotta have a good sense of humor these days ... as I often preach, go with the flow and let's roll) it wasn't black water, just grey water bubbling up.  Took several calls, getting the poor steward into our cabin to assist, and hours later ... maintenance finally showed up & resolved the plumbing & clogging, wasn't exactly a nice embarkation gift . 

PXL_20220327_214550632.thumb.jpg.f90ed8d386e39b632288a192cd8b08d4.jpg

Let's roll the MP4 video clips - couldn't possibly upload onboard, connection was too slow but that's a different matter on its own.  You can see the dripping coming from somewhere behind and wasn't draining fast enough thru the floor opening/trap ... 

Also had minor issues during last Spring's Epic TA, but steward recognized clogging along the corridor & already reported to maintenance, as we got a knock on the door, from white overall crew to come in and check.  Newer ships have zero immunity - next door balcony neighbors apparently caused it by flushing other "items" into the pipe when they should've just use the disposal bin, as we overheard them talking among themselves, behind the balcony partition that evening. 

Unfortunately, clueless cruisers do damages all the time - wish they get fined and/or a service charge when caught doing what's banned & against instructions to not ...  

• Like 4

I asked all the other people that had problems to please fill out the post survey and report. 

This is NOT ok. It is ship wide and has been going on for weeks if not months. 

Sorry @YVRteacher. I will take my rants to the main page.  

• Like 5

@AmyJA how was the food on the Jewel?

Sorry @YVRteacher Got busy yesterday.

I found the food to be fine. No real shockers there including presentation. I was trying to remember you when I got somehting to eat. I mostly failed on that.

Worst meal was at Le Bistro.  

Below is a couple of vegie dishes. Through of you what I ate at La Cucina.

IMG_0890.JPEG

IMG_0894.JPEG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1