Northern Lights and Ship Lights

racnwdow

Do the ships tend to keep their outside lights on at night?  Just wondering how the ship lights will affect the chances of seeing Northern Lights in September from the ship.

Certain lights do need to kept on for safety and visibility to other ships, by law, as well as the safety of pax and crew walking around the ship. I am sure lawyers would love the cases of people tripping and falling because the lights were dimmed or off to view auroras.

The possibility of northern lights, and location is the much bigger variable. 

The ship’s lights greatly diminish both the possibility of seeing the aurora and the quality of viewing. Balconies are the best place because the glare is diminished but neighboring cabins leaving their lights on is a problem. If you don’t have a balcony, try to find a dark corner somewhere you can also get a good view of the sky.

On 8/20/2024 at 8:40 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Certain lights do need to kept on for safety and visibility to other ships, by law, as well as the safety of pax and crew walking around the ship. I am sure lawyers would love the cases of people tripping and falling because the lights were dimmed or off to view auroras.

The possibility of northern lights, and location is the much bigger variable. 

This is a rumor only, not personal experience, but it's worth a try, since we're in a Solar Maximum period:  Talk to the ship's naturalist about aurora notifications - it you want to be woken up, they may set up a notification on the cabin phone network.  If that's done, there may also be the possibility that they dim or extinguish some non-essential (non-navigation!!!) lights.

It can't hurt to ask, and to get anyone you talk to on ship to ask as well!

I think it depends on the Captain.  Last year, on Ovation of the Seas, they turned off all the upper deck lights and posted crew every few feet to help people get around.  It made for excellent viewing.  

This past May, on Quantum of the Seas, they didn't turn off any lights.  Luckily, it was a very vibrant display, so the deck lights didn't have too much impact.  

On 8/27/2024 at 3:12 PM, Aquahound said:

I think it depends on the Captain.  Last year, on Ovation of the Seas, they turned off all the upper deck lights and posted crew every few feet to help people get around.  It made for excellent viewing.  

This past May, on Quantum of the Seas, they didn't turn off any lights.  Luckily, it was a very vibrant display, so the deck lights didn't have too much impact.  

Wait, you saw the northern lights in May? We are going on a cruise at the end of May and if there is even a chance we could see them I will be staying up for 7 days 😂

17 minutes ago, flcruising89 said:

Wait, you saw the northern lights in May? We are going on a cruise at the end of May and if there is even a chance we could see them I will be staying up for 7 days 😂

Oh yeah, May was a great month this year.  In fact, they were visible as far south as California.  This is one of the pics from that cruise.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Oh yeah, May was a great month this year.  In fact, they were visible as far south as California.  This is one of the pics from that cruise.

image.jpeg

Oh my... Do you recall which side of the ship that was on, which direction you were headed, and around what time it was? Very invested in this now lol

2 minutes ago, flcruising89 said:

Oh my... Do you recall which side of the ship that was on, which direction you were headed, and around what time it was? Very invested in this now lol

Absolutely.  That was taken from the ship's top deck looking aft.  I was at the aft rail.  Ship was southbound after having left Skagway.  I'd say it was around 11pm.  

• Like 1

Just now, flcruising89 said:

The Aurora will be more visible towards the North, in general, but the display is likely to span from northeast to northwest, so if the ship is sailing north or south, either side is equally fine.  A really strong outburst will reach up overhead.  I’ll hope for a good strong outburst for you.  You can check on the website spaceweather and it will show you a map with what’s called the auroral oval superimposed on it: a graphic that shows where the Aurora should be visible, and how strong the display is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Absolutely.  That was taken from the ship's top deck looking aft.  I was at the aft rail.  Ship was southbound after having left Skagway.  I'd say it was around 11pm.  

Okay so I may not have to stay up all night after all. We are also going to Skagway and not leaving there until late in the evening so we might get lucky. Thank you so much!

4 minutes ago, Vaxine said:

The Aurora will be more visible towards the North, in general, but the display is likely to span from northeast to northwest, so if the ship is sailing north or south, either side is equally fine.  A really strong outburst will reach up overhead.  I’ll hope for a good strong outburst for you.  You can check on the website spaceweather and it will show you a map with what’s called the auroral oval superimposed on it: a graphic that shows where the Aurora should be visible, and how strong the display is.

Thank you so much for the information! I will be checking that website all the time. Good thing I got the internet package haha