Choosing a later embarkation due to no mariner’s lunch?

Homala

32 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

I think it's only the plastic bottles.

Oh yes, I do now recall that HAL doesn’t like plastic water bottles anymore. 

To be clear, I had water/ice in my metal bottle and had to empty it in Boston, on embarkation, prior to security screening.  The liquid had to be completely emptied.  There was a fellow making us do it, and watching us to ensure it was done; he was also collecting the plastic bottles to the side.  This was on July 27/24.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

To be clear, I had water/ice in my metal bottle and had to empty it in Boston, on embarkation, prior to security screening.  The liquid had to be completely emptied.  There was a fellow making us do it, and watching us to ensure it was done; he was also collecting the plastic bottles to the side.  This was on July 27/24.

I understood. Maybe they are cracking down to stop people from bringing liquor onboard 

• Like 2

I wonder if Boston just maintains a heightened alert for their ports? Logan Airport has had DHS/airport police openly carrying long guns since 9/11.  (Two of the four terrorist planes originated from Boston.) I am thinking that the emptying of water may just be an added security procedure for that port.  HAL’s plastic water bottle policy is just a bonus.

1 hour ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I’ve been out of Boston Flynn Pier twice this year and no one checked for what was in our water containers. 
Yes  plastic bottles not allowed. 

Boston for some reason gets security people not familiar with the pier security. They are airport people. Try to do it the airport way. 
Just  hope that we have the regular pier security staff when we return to Boston. OMG a while ago the airport security people were there as we were getting off the ship. At 8:30 am they finally realized there was a major roadblock getting off the ship. Someone in charge intervened and told security this is a cruise port and not the airport. All the security personnel stepped aside and we were free to leave as usual. 

32 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I wonder if Boston just maintains a heightened alert for their ports? Logan Airport has had DHS/airport police openly carrying long guns since 9/11.  (Two of the four terrorist planes originated from Boston.) I am thinking that the emptying of water may just be an added security procedure for that port.  HAL’s plastic water bottle policy is just a bonus.

For some reason the security people are often airport people and try to do it the airport way. It’s somehow the same security company or the people work for both companies. 

1 hour ago, Wasasalad said:

I’ve been out of Boston Flynn Pier twice this year and no one checked for what was in our water containers. 
Yes  plastic bottles not allowed. 

Boston for some reason gets security people not familiar with the pier security. They are airport people. Try to do it the airport way. 
Just  hope that we have the regular pier security staff when we return to Boston. OMG a while ago the airport security people were there as we were getting off the ship. At 8:30 am they finally realized there was a major roadblock getting off the ship. Someone in charge intervened and told security this is a cruise port and not the airport. All the security personnel stepped aside and we were free to leave as usual. 

I'm just stating my experience that was less than one month ago.  Perhaps the security person had a god complex and could set his own rules.  Kind of like the TSA agent at Logan who gave me a karate chop in the vagina, when I was frisked, on Tuesday afternoon when the scan revealed I supposedly had metal in there (I did not)!

40 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I'm just stating my experience that was less than one month ago.  Perhaps the security person had a god complex and could set his own rules.  Kind of like the TSA agent at Logan who gave me a karate chop in the vagina, when I was frisked, on Tuesday afternoon when the scan revealed I supposedly had metal in there (I did not)!

😱 

4 hours ago, Homala said:

No, the cruise we are taking is the 25 day leaving July 12th. You could stay on board and go on that one too!  

If it's the 1 to northern Europe I've already done it.... twice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

It just happened on my last cruise in 2023. Prior to that I used to bring plastic water bottles all the time. 

1 hour ago, shadow 123 said:

If it's the 1 to northern Europe I've already done it.... twice

It’s to Canada, Greenland, Iceland and back to Boston. I wish it was the one to Northern Europe, although returning to Boston will make our flights much easier than flying to or from Europe. Maybe next time. This will be our longest cruise (25 days) and, while I think we’ll do just fine, I want to build up the days a bit more before committing to even longer. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Homala said:

It’s to Canada, Greenland, Iceland and back to Boston. I wish it was the one to Northern Europe, although returning to Boston will make our flights much easier than flying to or from Europe. Maybe next time. This will be our longest cruise (25 days) and, while I think we’ll do just fine, I want to build up the days a bit more before committing to even longer. 

That's the one I did last year for 25 days. All those countries. I did the voyage of the Vikings prior to that. That went to a few more countries and that was 38 days. I tend like the longer cruises. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time !

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Homala said:

I have done both and I have to tell you I like the one you are doing much better.  I just finished it and was absolutely delighted with this port intensive journey and even though I did enjoy VOV very much this is better IMHO.  It was one of the best cruises I have done in quite a while.  When you do it they have upgraded it to a Legendary Voyage, I think, and that should make it even more special.  

I signed up for the 2026 cruise which does the same thing but round trip from Rotterdam.  I expect to like that one also. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

signed up for the 2026 cruise which does the same thing but round trip from Rotterdam.  I expect to like that one also

That sounds awesome!  Do you fly to Amsterdam or to Rotterdam for that one?  Do you do reviews?  I’d love to read a review or live from the VoV. 

Yes, our cruise is listed as a Legendary cruise, which I’ve been researching and reading reviews (e.g., The Inside Cabin’s awesome live threads). I hadn’t even realized it was Legendary until a couple weeks after we booked it and am now even more excited. We have a verandah cabin, but I’m hoping a Neptune becomes available, although I’m not sure we’d be willing to pay the upgrade fee for one of those, not mention the Neptunes are sold out and probably unlikely to become available. 

• Like 1