Koningsdam - 6052 vs. 7116 (Verandah - Extended room or extended balcony?)

I have a question I am hoping to get some feedback from others on.  We are currently booked on a short repositioning trip on Koningsdam and we're in cabin 6052.  We chose it because the room is a bit longer, with the desk beside the sofa rather than directly across from it.  However, the balcony doesn't appear as private as other balconies because it's angled toward the back/side of the ship.

Cabin 7116 is also available and while it doesn't have the extended cabin (desk IS directly across from sofa), the balcony is extended and faces toward the back (more privacy and less wind.)

My husband and I have differing opinions on which to choose.  What are your thoughts, especially if you've stayed in either of these cabins (or a similar one) on a Pinnacle class ship?

Lastly, we have Club Orange and I saw that an aft-facing Vista Suite was available.  I tried to switch to this but the general call center says this isn't possible, even though the room is available.  Do any of you know whether this is correct information, or should we be able to pay the difference to upgrade to the aft-facing Vista Suite (they do still have Guaranty Vista and the lowest level Vista category available on the ship, if that makes a difference.)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Images below:  (booked in V6052, considering V7116, would switch to AS4194 if possible)

image.png.8684d2ab4cc6348955e981ec009add4c.pngimage.png.9c52056c21d5627bd681a0e3c673a7fe.pngimage.png.67dfb9b76cfd40839845d4fd5fb5a805.png

If I understand club Orange correctly you can only switch to the cabin in your exact category.  If you bought VC, then only VCs.   I always opt for the larger room but it would really depend on the itinerary, how many sea days and length of cruise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

If I understand club Orange correctly you can only switch to the cabin in your exact category.  If you bought VC, then only VCs.   I always opt for the larger room but it would really depend on the itinerary, how many sea days and length of cruise

Sorry, but not true... CO allows for an upgrade within each meta category (inside, outside verandah, suite).  The OP is already at the highest verandah with a V category.  The aft Vista suite would require a paid upgrade.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ORTravelGal said:

I have a question I am hoping to get some feedback from others on.  We are currently booked on a short repositioning trip on Koningsdam and we're in cabin 6052.  We chose it because the room is a bit longer, with the desk beside the sofa rather than directly across from it.  However, the balcony doesn't appear as private as other balconies because it's angled toward the back/side of the ship.

Cabin 7116 is also available and while it doesn't have the extended cabin (desk IS directly across from sofa), the balcony is extended and faces toward the back (more privacy and less wind.)

My husband and I have differing opinions on which to choose.  What are your thoughts, especially if you've stayed in either of these cabins (or a similar one) on a Pinnacle class ship?

Lastly, we have Club Orange and I saw that an aft-facing Vista Suite was available.  I tried to switch to this but the general call center says this isn't possible, even though the room is available.  Do any of you know whether this is correct information, or should we be able to pay the difference to upgrade to the aft-facing Vista Suite (they do still have Guaranty Vista and the lowest level Vista category available on the ship, if that makes a difference.)

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Images below:  (booked in V6052, considering V7116, would switch to AS4194 if possible)

image.png.8684d2ab4cc6348955e981ec009add4c.pngimage.png.9c52056c21d5627bd681a0e3c673a7fe.pngimage.png.67dfb9b76cfd40839845d4fd5fb5a805.png

we are Koningsdam 8097 because of the bigger balcony and CO  also looked to upgrade to Vista aft  but besides the points didn't think the extra $600 PP ws worth it but that's our choice

we always try the same angled balconies especially doing Alaska   good luck with your decision remember its going to be a good one because its YOURS!!

On 8/23/2024 at 2:27 PM, a.madruga said:

we are Koningsdam 8097 because of the bigger balcony and CO  also looked to upgrade to Vista aft  but besides the points didn't think the extra $600 PP ws worth it but that's our choice

we always try the same angled balconies especially doing Alaska   good luck with your decision remember its going to be a good one because its YOURS!!

Are you currently on board?  I see 8097 is listed as a quad.  Were you concerned about being involuntarily moved out of the quad?  Of course you may already have 3-4 in the booking so my question would not apply.  I recently gave up an extended balcony quad.   There are 2 of us and I didn't want to be involuntarily moved to a cabin I didn't choose as the cruise gets closer.

10 hours ago, mb777 said:

Are you currently on board?  I see 8097 is listed as a quad.  Were you concerned about being involuntarily moved out of the quad?  Of course you may already have 3-4 in the booking so my question would not apply.  I recently gave up an extended balcony quad.   There are 2 of us and I didn't want to be involuntarily moved to a cabin I didn't choose as the cruise gets closer.

Mb777 

I talked to our PCC and was not happy as she could tell we brought up the fact that when placing our booking back in November 23 for our July 25 Alaskan cruise nothing was said about that being a quad We counted on Koningsdam there to be 70 quad cabins. This is our fourth cruise with HAL if they decide to move us and make that financial decision well we have choices for the future that most likely would not include them. We respect the changes but believe that those who have booked prior to change should be able to continue with their booking. It’s my DW 65th birthday and retirement cruise that’s been planned for two years. I don’t know when your cruise is but that should not be a reason to have one give up their original booking choice.  We as customers know about missing ports and changing itinerary but now to add something new and not respecting customers choices just for the sake of profit. IOO we should think about HAL allowing those bookings to be grandfathered in.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 10:27 PM, a.madruga said:

upgrade to Vista aft  but besides the points

No extra points for upgrades.  If you upgrade from a verandah to a vista you do not get the additional suite points.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, a.madruga said:

Mb777 

I talked to our PCC and was not happy as she could tell we brought up the fact that when placing our booking back in November 23 for our July 25 Alaskan cruise nothing was said about that being a quad We counted on Koningsdam there to be 70 quad cabins. This is our fourth cruise with HAL if they decide to move us and make that financial decision well we have choices for the future that most likely would not include them. We respect the changes but believe that those who have booked prior to change should be able to continue with their booking. It’s my DW 65th birthday and retirement cruise that’s been planned for two years. I don’t know when your cruise is but that should not be a reason to have one give up their original booking choice.  We as customers know about missing ports and changing itinerary but now to add something new and not respecting customers choices just for the sake of profit. IOO we should think about HAL allowing those bookings to be grandfathered in.

I did not know about the policy when I booked about 5 months ago.  The cruise is summer, 2025 and I didn't want to take the chance of being moved.  My TA said it rarely happens, but I didn't want to be the one who was moved as so many others have.

28 minutes ago, mb777 said:

I did not know about the policy when I booked about 5 months ago.  The cruise is summer, 2025 and I didn't want to take the chance of being moved.  My TA said it rarely happens, but I didn't want to be the one who was moved as so many others have.

BTW today Alaska 2026 opened up for. Booking and we noticed in trying to get our same cabin and it was not offered since we’re just two. 

We ended up changing our reservation. We re-booked to the Vista Guaranty & used Club Orange to get Aft-Vista 7192. There weren’t any aft-balcony cabins left, so we went with the Vista meta category. I contacted Ship Inventory & spoke with someone there who told me exactly what to tell the general reservations line rep to do to make the change we wanted. Again, it’s just a short repositioning trip but we wanted the best cabin & location we could get. I think we’ll be very happy.