Iona Southampton latest time getting off the ship

a1psx

Taking my Son on his first cruise and my wife is going to pick us up from Southampton when we return, what sort of time should I ask her to meet us at the port, obviously the later the better as it's a two hour drive and I honestly don't mind eating breakfast until 11am. We are staying at a hotel the night before embarkation so that part isn't a worry. I've searched forums but most people seem to want to know how early they can finish their holidays not the opposite 🙂

43 minutes ago, a1psx said:

Taking my Son on his first cruise and my wife is going to pick us up from Southampton when we return, what sort of time should I ask her to meet us at the port, obviously the later the better as it's a two hour drive and I honestly don't mind eating breakfast until 11am. We are staying at a hotel the night before embarkation so that part isn't a worry. I've searched forums but most people seem to want to know how early they can finish their holidays not the opposite 🙂

they will give you your disembarkation time on the thursday evening. We had 10.00am

• Like 1

Obviously it will depend on what time the ship gets into port and that is something that you will only know on the day. Ships generally will be in port on disembarkation around 07:00 but I have known it be as late as midday.

Under normal circumstances they aim to have the ship clear of disembarking passengers for about 10:00 - 10:30. There is no way that you will still be eating breakfast at 11:00.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, david63 said:

Under normal circumstances they aim to have the ship clear of disembarking passengers for about 10:00 - 10:30. There is no way that you will still be eating breakfast at 11:00.

Well not on the ship anyway. You need to vacate your cabin by 8:00am and breakfast will be finished by 9:00.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, david63 said:

Obviously it will depend on what time the ship gets into port and that is something that you will only know on the day. Ships generally will be in port on disembarkation around 07:00 but I have known it be as late as midday.

Thanks, previous cruises were with TUI so we stayed on board until our flight so unsure how it worked with P&O

39 minutes ago, a1psx said:

Thanks, previous cruises were with TUI so we stayed on board until our flight so unsure how it worked with P&O

That of course would be a fly cruise not from Southampton. Breakfast is finished just after 9 and the ship is usually cleared by 9.30 to 10.00. 

10 hours ago, a1psx said:

As others have said at Southampton you are normally off the ship by ten. You mention flights, that is a different kettle of fish. If you mean a fly cruise or world cruise segment where the fight is arranged by P&O as distinct from you booking a fight for ongoing travel from Southampton or London. In the case of a P&O flight you still have to vacate the cabin by eight but you can use the ships facilities or go ashore until time for your transfer to the airport, which in some cases can range from early morning to early evening as it did for us once from Venice. When asked at booking if an early morning flight was OK so we asked about an alternative and was given an evening flight leaving the ship at about six, which gave us in effect an extra day in Venice.

14 hours ago, Bill Y said:

As others have said at Southampton you are normally off the ship by ten. You mention flights, that is a different kettle of fish. If you mean a fly cruise or world cruise segment where the fight is arranged by P&O as distinct from you booking a fight for ongoing travel from Southampton or London. In the case of a P&O flight you still have to vacate the cabin by eight but you can use the ships facilities or go ashore until time for your transfer to the airport, which in some cases can range from early morning to early evening as it did for us once from Venice. When asked at booking if an early morning flight was OK so we asked about an alternative and was given an evening flight leaving the ship at about six, which gave us in effect an extra day in Venice.

10 is good, just really didn't want my wife driving all the way down to pick us up at 8am as that would be a very early start for her 🙂

8 hours ago, a1psx said:

10 is good

One thing to bear in mind is that even with a 10:00 disembarkation time that is only an approximation and these days disembarkation generally runs early so you could find that you are off the ship and outside the terminal considerably earlier.

What I normally do on disembarkation morning (as a single independent travellor) is to vacate my cabin at the requested time and then go to the Crows Nest with a good book. Around 9.45 to 10.00 there will be an announcement that it is time for anyone left on the ship to disembark.. I usually leave it a further 10 minutes and then make my way down to the gangway. The advantages (for me) are (a) No crowded stairs, lifts corridors etc, (b) my luggage is usually the last in the hall and (c) my car is the last in the car park and easy to locate. Evan doing the above, I am usually on my way by 10.15-10.30

• Like 4