Seas Between Islands

AR83

Hi Everyone:

We are thinking of going on the Pride Of America in May/June 2025 or September 2025. How rough are the seas between islands? My wife gets very seasick and has used the patch with success in the past. But she is VERY concerned. Thank you for your responses.

1 hour ago, AR83 said:

Hi Everyone:

We are thinking of going on the Pride Of America in May/June 2025 or September 2025. How rough are the seas between islands? My wife gets very seasick and has used the patch with success in the past. But she is VERY concerned. Thank you for your responses.

Your wife will probably experience more motion on the airplane getting there than on the ship between islands.  Even on ships traveling across the ocean, I rarely notice anything.  This Spring we did five sea days from HI to AK.  Nothing.  I actually miss it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AR83 said:

Hi Everyone:

The waters around Hawai'i usually are quite calm...except when they're not.  As long as there isn't a major storm in the area (they call them typhoons in the Pacific, don't they?) you should be fine.  We sailed on the POA in December 2016 and never noticed any rocking.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

While it is true that the sea is unpredictable, remember that the POA sails at night and is in port each day.  There are no sea days to contend with.

The OP’s point is that their wife gets seasick. That can happen at night as well as during the day. 

Meclizine hcl 25mg (generic Bonine) is a lifesaver for me.  We get the Rugby version on Amazon for around $8 for 100 chewable tablets.  I take one every morning when traveling and have never gotten seasick.  I can now ride in the back seat of a car or sit further back in a bus without any problem.  My dh used to say I could get seasick standing on the dock.

• Thanks 1

We were lucky and our week had absolutely smooth as glass seas in February. The week before, the sea was so rough, they had to skip Hilo, if I recall.  The roughest nights will most likely be Kona to Kauai and then Kauai to Oahu. 

I would say to pack medicine like you're going to be on rough seas. The patch, ginger candies, grab green apple slices from the buffet, drink ginger ale etc.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it but not have it. 

On 8/23/2024 at 7:40 PM, AR83 said:

Hi Everyone:

We have done the Hawaii cruise twice in September, and had calm seas. Get a midship cabin, and I recommend bringing Bonine seasick medicine. They are chewable tablets and do not make me drowsy or cause me any other side effects. Take one or two per day if needed.

• Like 1