Signature Voyages

Cruise2-

Good Morning!  Having to cancel 2 previous Hurtigruten coastal cruises due to Covid, we are looking to book once again.  We’ve noticed what appears to be newer offerings in the Signature Voyages; the full voyage from Oslo has caught our attention. Do these cruises only stop in the ports listed with no stops in between (in comparison to the Original Coastal cruises)?  If anyone can offer insight on booking a Polar Inside versus a Polar Outside/Arctic Superior, it would be helpful.  We are looking to be on deck as much as possible and taking advantage of the extended port stops; is a “view” from your cabin a “must have”?  The cost difference could be significant. Any insight on the Signature Voyages would be appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I am  going to comment on the inside vs. outside cabin first.

If cost is a major factor, then I understand and go for the inside cabin.

Personally I want to be able to look out at least a window when I wake to know what the weather is that morning. I want to be able to open a balcony door to know the temperature.

We spend most of our "viewing" time on deck because then you have a 360 view, and your balcony may only be looking at water and not coastline, but we still want the balcony.

Regarding the port stops, I don't know any cruise line that stops at ports that are not listed.  I would suggest that the ports listed are the ports you will stop at.

An outside cabin is not a necessity - you won't use it very much and visibility is limited from many cabins.
Cabins are all very different - see description for the ship. Some have double beds, others single beds and others bunk beds. Note that from the promenade deck (likely deck 5) you can see into the cabins.  

Stops are longer in the mentioned ports - there are no further calls.

Few longer port stops have an advantage, but personally I think the coastal route has more charm.

• 1 month later...

The Signature voyages (Svalbard and North Cape) are all inclusive and are good value for money, even if they look more expensive initially. They are a newer addition to the usual type of Hurtigruten coastal trip, using MS Trollfjord after her refurbishment in 2023.

Cabins are all comfortable and you will have to decide what your priorities are - you will get many and different opinions on this according to individual likes/dislikes. But if it helps, the ship is very comfortable in public areas and not overcrowded so it is possible to spend most of your time away from your cabin. Port calls are as stated, with inclusion of Oslo for the first time, and the main difference being the length of time spent in port - considerably longer than on the usual coastal voyage (which is after all public transport and has to keep to timetable according to licence)

Food and drink are a stand-out on these voyages with a good range of wines included for all passengers - a departure for Hurtigruten whose expensive wine packages on the coastal voyage were notorious for their cost! Food is exceptional with optional fine dining(extra cost) but also a bistro restaurant included as standard. Crew and customer service are as you would expect from Hurtigruten excellent and no-fuss.

Very nice first post @Silverdarling13!  Welcome!  I have taken one Hurtigruten (in 2005) and one Havila (2024) coastal voyage, which were fabulous.  I would highly recommend the coastal voyages but for a different type of trip these Signature Voyages look very nice.  If I decide to return to the area, I will seriously consider a Signature trip next time.

Thanks for the information.

~Nancy