Prices in Rome for October 2024 are higher than in April 2024. Why?

pcrum

We did a TA cruise in April, 2024, Port Canaveral to Rome and paid 150 Euros to get from the port of Civitavecchia with a private car company (Cab Roma) and 50 Euros with the same company to get from our city center hotel to FCO airport.  For an October transfer, the same company is charging 95 Euros to go from the airport to the city center and 159 Euros to go from the Rome city center to the port.  The hotel that we used in April, Spagna Ave, is also 100 Euros higher per night in October.  I thought October was low season, so I am surprised at the price increases.  Is something happening in Rome around the second week of October that has prices inflated?  

I know the standard taxi fare from the airport to the city center is set at 50 Euros.  Has anyone had experience with using a taxi from the taxi stand?  In April, we used the white Rome taxis frequently throughout the city and only had one bad experience of the driver trying to increase the charge.

I can deal with the 9 Euro increase in the Rome city center to port transfer, but I'm also looking into shared shuttles.  I know there is a train, but we have luggage and that just seems a bit complicated with having to take a bus from the train station in Civitavecchia to the port.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

10 minutes ago, pcrum said:

Any advice would be most appreciated.

2025 is a Jubilee Year in Rome and the number of visitors will vastly increase so you won't  be lonely.😁

This was a  quite recent thread which you may find an interesting read.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3011385-jubilee-year-italy-2025-thoughts/#comment-67456738

Thanks for the reply.  We were in Rome this past April and ran into some jubilee events.  I was just shocked at the increase in prices from April 2024 to October 2024.

• Like 1