What replaced the Canyon Ranch lower calorie options in dining rooms?

dfwguy

It’s been a few years since our last crossing. Back then, the dining rooms offered a Canyon Ranch healthier &  lower calorie option. Does anyone know if this type option still exists today? Thank you.

Posted (edited)

There are always Vegetarian/GF choices for lunch and dinner.  I suspect that's the direction they went to satisfy what the most people are looking for.

Edited by stan01

I’m not gluten free or vegetarian, although I don’t eat meat. I do however eat poultry and fish, and I’ve been working hard to limit calories and lose weight.  I’m hoping to maintain the weight I’ve lost so far while I’m on QM2, so I was interested to see there were low calorie options… but not anymore?

Nothing specifically is labelled as low calorie. It’s up to you to decide. You can ask for sauces to be on the side or not at all. But making heathy choices is down to you and your personal preferences. 

Looking at our latest menu, there are various symbols to denote things like gluten free. One of these, possibly a broccoli floret, signifies ‘wellness option’, which I suspect is the low calorie one.

6 hours ago, napria said:

I’m not gluten free or vegetarian, although I don’t eat meat. I do however eat poultry and fish, and I’ve been working hard to limit calories and lose weight.  I’m hoping to maintain the weight I’ve lost so far while I’m on QM2, so I was interested to see there were low calorie options… but not anymore?

A few years back following illness I registered dietary requirements with Cunard for a low fat, low calorie diet and was provided with a suitable menu the night before.  I've no idea if the option still remains but the choice was very good and varied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, napria said:

When I'm on holiday, I don't 'work at it' to keep any weight gain down as it's dead easy to do on Cunard [OK, apart from a 2lb gain in July but that was down to the odd do nut and gluttony with the cheese trolley].

No bread, no potatoes apart from fries occasionally with a filet mignon, extra steamed veg.,no sauces or at least sauce on the side so I can see what I'm having, no puds apart from the odd Crepes Suzette and LOADS of different lunchtime salads with zero dressing.

QA buffet is a bit 'ordinary' on its salad offerings but the Wellness cafe makes up for that. The other ships' buffets are fine with their salad offerings. A side salad makes a great addition to most evening meals too.

I can honestly say, it's no hardship at all to keep any weight gain to zero.

Edited by Victoria2
gain, not loss!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  All sound advice, and what I do when going out to eat at home.  It would have been wonderful to have had a low calorie, healthy menu, but I’ll manage without.

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Looking at our latest menu, there are various symbols to denote things like gluten free. One of these, possibly a broccoli floret, signifies ‘wellness option’, which I suspect is the low calorie one.

That's a Grills special. Down in Steerage we get symbols for plant based, vegetarian and gluten free only. I suspect this will change since calorie information is increasingly a mandatory requirement, including in England for large companies.

In the meantime a bit of common sense with salads versus desserts should be sufficient.

I have gone through some more photos, and I can see the Wellness symbol on QM2 lunch but not dinner, and I also see Wellness is available in QA Club for both lunches and dinners. It may be the QM2 dinner has no Wellness but I did survive somehow.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, napria said:

I’ve actually maintained and lost weight on the last two Cunard voyages: TA and Alaska. I find that Cunard does fish very well and even had fish for breakfast. A hearty breakfast helps prevent snacking mid-morning (however Carinthia offers some really good pastries).  
More important too is to take the stairs over the elevators/lifts as much as possible and do as many Prom Deck laps as you can squeeze in. Be active!

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 4:28 PM, NE John said:

I’ve actually maintained and lost weight on the last two Cunard voyages: TA and Alaska. I find that Cunard does fish very well and even had fish for breakfast. A hearty breakfast helps prevent snacking mid-morning (however Carinthia offers some really good pastries).  
More important too is to take the stairs over the elevators/lifts as much as possible and do as many Prom Deck laps as you can squeeze in. Be active!

I’m very active at home, and am going to miss my biggest calorie burner: synchronized swimming.  I have two practices each week that are two hours long and typically burn 500 - 600 calories per practice.  I also use our fitness center here, and although I know there’s a fitness center on board the ship, I’m not planning to use it. But I might swim like a goldfish in a little bowl on the ship 😁

I’m four pounds away from my weight goal, although I’m hoping to go below my goal so I have a cushion for when I’m eating on the ship.  I’m probably going to book us into Bamboo and the Veranda for dinner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, napria said:

I’m very active at home, and am going to miss my biggest calorie burner: synchronized swimming.  I have two practices each week that are two hours long and typically burn 500 - 600 calories per practice.

That's about 5 to 6 km of walking (say 3 miles), and you do this twice a week, so  11km a week. The promenade deck of QM2 - deck 7 is 620 metres, so that is just under 18 walked circuits of the promenade, so 2 or 3 circuits a day.

That's quite easy to do, particularly if you split it saying morning and evening. The only catch is that they will close the promenade if the weather is poor, but I guess if you aim for 18 circuits for the whole crossing and put in an extra circuit or two ahead of the contents of the captain's weather forecast (midday announcement) you should be on top of that quite easily. They also sometimes close a bit of the promenade if they are doing some chipping/painting, which is annoying but it will only be for an hour or two.

• Thanks 1