Howl at the Moon

I love Dueling pianos and go to them on ships that have them.

Besides the wildly over requested Sweet Caroline and Don’t stop believing, I hear Friends in low places by Garth Brooks way too often. I love the song, it’s just over requested.

I really enjoy when the musicians do stuff they are good at, whether it is Back to Black by Amy Winehouse or a medley of 70s- 80’s commercial jingles or sitcom theme songs.

If I request a song it’s going to be a Journey song that’s NOT DSB, like Wheel in the Sky or anything by the Doobie Brothers.

17 hours ago, complawyer said:

has anyone ever tried to stump them?

I sometimes have seen them look at one of the written suggestions that an audience member has submitted, turn up their nose at it, and toss it away.  Either they didn't know the song or simply didn't care to play it.  I guess you could call that "stumped."

I gave them a pretty open ended request of an Irish one not from u2, they offered Galway girl on condition that some one came up and did some Irish dancing. A few went up and my fellow solos sent me up knowing I was Irish and I duly showed the difference between an Irish person and a wannabe who thought they knew Irish dancing. I only did Irish dancing to age 12 but I am from a rural area in the west of Ireland so there’s usually at least one set dance at every wedding. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, complawyer said:

ironic, that you would like music from the 60's or earlier, but not the 70's. how can you ignore songs like low spark of high heeled boys by traffic,  anything by bad company or the allman bros, how can anyone not love dickie betts  ramblin' man, or bad co. ready for love? just touching the very tip of the iceberg. Some of the stones best works were inthe 70's.

all that being said, i'm like my parents. the music i listed to, they hated. next generation, my kids/grandkids  what they have listed to, i absolutely despise, passionately!!!!!* 

* my daughter is 53, my son is turning 50 in oct, and my grandson 25 in nov.

A couple reasons I don't like 70's/80's music:

1. My mom likes it and played it incessantly in the car when I was young. And my mom have a very complicated relationship (explains a lot of my weirdness haha)

2. The very long instrumentals (think guitar crap, like in Hotel California) is annoying to me. If I want instrumental music, I'll listen to classical. When I listen to normal (not classical) music, I prefer it to have vocals, as well. One of my all-time favorite songs ever, "The Wolves and the Ravens" by Rogue Valley has a long three minute instrumental at the end of the vocals....I skip the song after the last of the lyrics. 

I am completely sure there are some 70's/80's songs that I like. I just can't think of them right now. I'm starting, slowly, to dislike some modern music. It sure ain't Good Charlotte or Green Day or One Direction (groups I assume you despise lol). No matter, we'll find a happy medium and play some 60's tunes if we ever have the opportunity to cruise together.

18 hours ago, justhappy said:

I love Dueling pianos and go to them on ships that have them.

Besides the wildly over requested Sweet Caroline and Don’t stop believing, I hear Friends in low places by Garth Brooks way too often. I love the song, it’s just over requested.

Friends in Low Places....oh my gosh! That was my jam when I worked at summer camp. We'd go to the bar five miles down the road and play that song ad nauseum. Now? I might listen to it once a year. Same with Beer for my Horses. How did I belt those out in my drunken manner in those heady days of my early 20's? Ahh, the power of booze.

15 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I gave them a pretty open ended request of an Irish one not from u2, they offered Galway girl on condition that some one came up and did some Irish dancing. A few went up and my fellow solos sent me up knowing I was Irish and I duly showed the difference between an Irish person and a wannabe who thought they knew Irish dancing. I only did Irish dancing to age 12 but I am from a rural area in the west of Ireland so there’s usually at least one set dance at every wedding. 

Galway Girl! Now that's a good one. 

Edited by cruiseny4life

hey cruise ny4life:  while i dont despise any type of music, (as that's a very strong word), closest to that is probably country, based on  your posts, i may be older than  your mom. the 3 groups you mentioned, although i have heard the names, i dont think i have ever heard any of their music, probably wouldnt know or recognize if i did

as for long interludes, "free bird" , light my fire, low spark of high heeled boys,25 or 6 2 4  and  of course the classic inna gadda da vida.  how can you not like? in my youth (and remember i'm almost 77), with the assistance of a   certain type of cigarette, when these songs were playing, i was in heaven .

quick after thought: while my grandson is 25, when  he was a kid, whenever he was in my car, i would play oldies.  if  you ask him who his favorite artist/ group. he will immediately respond "Dion and the Belmonts"  He knows and can sing all the words to Teenager in love, and did it at a jr high talent show.

what a great kid. by the way, he now has a masters degree from university of florida, and is currently in his 1st year of law school. proud papa that i am

I was on Epic a few years ago and Mark Ronson’s “Uptown funk” was requested many times every night and they always saved it for later on as it was so popular. Worked really well on piano.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, complawyer said:

hey cruise ny4life:  while i dont despise any type of music, (as that's a very strong word), closest to that is probably country, based on  your posts, i may be older than  your mom. the 3 groups you mentioned, although i have heard the names, i dont think i have ever heard any of their music, probably wouldnt know or recognize if i did

as for long interludes, "free bird" , light my fire, low spark of high heeled boys,25 or 6 2 4  and  of course the classic inna gadda da vida.  how can you not like? in my youth (and remember i'm almost 77), with the assistance of a   certain type of cigarette, when these songs were playing, i was in heaven .

quick after thought: while my grandson is 25, when  he was a kid, whenever he was in my car, i would play oldies.  if  you ask him who his favorite artist/ group. he will immediately respond "Dion and the Belmonts"  He knows and can sing all the words to Teenager in love, and did it at a jr high talent show.

what a great kid. by the way, he now has a masters degree from university of florida, and is currently in his 1st year of law school. proud papa that i am

You’re of a similar vintage to my late father who was a massive fan of The Beatles, The Eagles and dire straits. In the early 90s the 2 tapes he had in the car were the eagles and dire straits, and drove the surfer kids he brought to contests demented by playing them over and over so they brought their own choices in self defence. He let me stay up all evening for Live Aid’s London stage and through until Phil Collins made it across the Atlantic and onto the stage in the states. 
He always had an opinion on the music I chose to listen to and did not approve of boy bands who didn’t play any instruments. Personally I can’t stand rave/dance music which came along in my college years, by the time it completely dominated the set lists at nightclubs I had reached my limit of tolerance for it. I do enjoy anything I can sing along to from most eras though and at howl of the moon there have definitely been tunes that I didn’t recognise which obviously didn’t make a splash on this side of the Atlantic. 
What does wreck my head at howl of the moon is if the musicians are so busy showing off what good instrumentalists they are they forget to bring the audience along. There were trios like that on 2 of my cruises and headliners was a ghost town as a result.  

Edited by eileeshb

2 hours ago, spethstation said:

I once asked for 'Hollaback Girl' as a joke, and the player was rightfully pi**ed, but she did an AMAZING job at attempting it! 

Oooooo!!! "Glamorous" by Fergie is a great option this one reminded me of! 

Why would they be pi$$ed? Isn't it by request, with a tip?