Nieuw Amsterdam - Cabins VH 4001 to 4004

These 4 cabins are at the very front of the ship. Has anyone here ever stayed in one of these and if so how did it go? 

I know the balcony will be steel and not plexiglas.  Guessing there would also be more wind when cruising  I am thinking there  would be abit more motion and then also above the theater.

Anything else unusual about them. It would be a guarantee and would hope for an upgrade , but I know cannot count  on that. Probably would just have to make the best of it if we do book one of those. 

Would love some input. Thanks !

Have you thought about booking with Club Orange (if available) book the cheapest guarantee pay the excess and choose any available balcony cabin. Much less stress than hoping for an upgrade/upsell.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/activity-types/dining/club-orange/Club_Orange_Benefits.pdf

Happy planning 

Thuse rooms have a solid steel railing and not glass. That's what the diamond symbol on the deck plan means. They are also shower only, not tub shower combo.

Posted (edited)

Stayed on deck 5 in a similar location on the Eurodam (near identical sister ship).  Cabins are essentially the same other than what was mentioned before with deck 4 cabins having a solid railing and verandahs might be a bit smaller (than the other deck 4 forward cabins, still larger than many verandahs) due to the curvature of the hull.  We had some rough seas sailing to alaska and it was much more noticeable than even a few cabins further aft.  Dramamine resolved issues, but these cabins wouldn't be my first choice. 

However, i see what you are doing and gambling on the upgrade.  Given that there are only 4 of these cabins, I think you have a good chance at an upgrade elsewhere and I would likely do the same thing 😀.  It's gamifying your vacation.

Edited by cruisingrob21

here's a close up photo I took a while back of the near sister Zuiderdam.  Those VH cabins are circled in green.  I think the main difference is that on the NA, there is a partition to help block the wind looking out onto the bow for 4001 and 4002.  So as you can see, its basically the same room as others, but with a slightly angled (thus, smaller) verandah.

image.thumb.png.26b0d2b207a97e59a9198d98e570acec.png

and here is a photo a bit further away and from a different perspective of the Eurodam, which is almost identical to the NA.  Same cabins circled in green and you can see the wind screen.

image.png.2d58f5e60bcc208a8805ca16527db239.png

2 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

here's a close up photo I took a while back of the near sister Zuiderdam.  Those VH cabins are circled in green.  I think the main difference is that on the NA, there is a partition to help block the wind looking out onto the bow for 4001 and 4002.  So as you can see, its basically the same room as others, but with a slightly angled (thus, smaller) verandah.

image.thumb.png.26b0d2b207a97e59a9198d98e570acec.png

and here is a photo a bit further away and from a different perspective of the Eurodam, which is almost identical to the NA.  Same cabins circled in green and you can see the wind screen.

image.png.2d58f5e60bcc208a8805ca16527db239.png

Posted (edited)

Friend of mine was in VH4004 on our recent Alaska cruise.  All previous remarks by other posters are valid.  But in addition, my friend complained of annoying noise early in port mornings from mooring-line winches/capstans.  These staterooms are just aft of those winch spaces.

Edited by AV8rix

Thanks for the noise comments.  Had thought of that - but if only when in port , then  I guess it will be like an alarm clock and get us early to start the day. Do not want to waste any time especially on port days. Sea days are different and hopefuly would not be the same issue.