QM2 -Twenty Years On

London-Calling

1 hour ago, London-Calling said:

I'm guilty of this, but when I (we) say "class" in relation to travel, we of course don't mean "social class" anymore. Uk trins still have "First Class" as do some aircraft. "Grades of dining" would be a better description of the Cunard system.

I'd go with "assigned dining room," since giving Britannia restaurant a lower grade sort of implies diminution of food quality. Sometimes, that is correct, but it is not Cunard's policy to do so.

2 hours ago, rog747 said:

Storm force 6 is a classification on the 'newer' Beaufort Wind Scale, which is used by international weather forecasters to measure wind speed and power.

On the Beaufort scale, force 6 is classified as a strong breeze with winds between 22–27 knots. Other characteristics of force 6 winds include: 
Larger waves, 8–13 ft seas, Whitecaps.

A Storm or whole Gale is Beaufort 10

A Strong severe gale is 9
A near Gale is 7 and a fresh Gale is 8

Happy sailing!

with 25 years in a SAR role and still going to sea for leisure apart  from cruising I still use 0-12 Beaufort which is what the Met office and UK  coastguard use.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I'd go with "assigned dining room," since giving Britannia restaurant a lower grade sort of implies diminution of food quality. Sometimes, that is correct, but it is not Cunard's policy to do so.

I would hope that their policy is to provide better food and service in the "grills". 

2 hours ago, London-Calling said:

I would hope that their policy is to provide better food and service in the "grills". 

Like many others, my experiences sailing in Cunard’s three classes (except Club) certainly has the Grills dining experience rated much higher than Britannia. Food, and the overall dining experience, is very important to us and that’s why I believe Grills is worth the premium. That is my opinion: others may not place that premium on the food experience. Some would rather go on more cruises in a less expensive cabin grade; I’d rather go on fewer cruises in the Grills experience. But again, that’s just my feeling. 
Also, the Grills “experience” is not just defined by the food but also that we “own” our table for each meal for the duration of the voyage and can then build an excellent rapport with the staff. I have no interest in dining arrangements offerings where I need to choose where to eat every night or make a reservation to eat somewhere. I’m too lazy on vacation to think about stuff like that!

I like the consistency of being greeted by name by the M’d and the wait staff as we arrive at the Grills restaurant and lounge. No stuffiness/no pretension - just great service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NE John said:

Like many others, my experiences sailing in Cunard’s three classes (except Club) certainly has the Grills dining experience rated much higher than Britannia. Food, and the overall dining experience, is very important to us and that’s why I believe Grills is worth the premium. That is my opinion: others may not place that premium on the food experience. Some would rather go on more cruises in a less expensive cabin grade; I’d rather go on fewer cruises in the Grills experience. But again, that’s just my feeling. 
Also, the Grills “experience” is not just defined by the food but also that we “own” our table for each meal for the duration of the voyage and can then build an excellent rapport with the staff. I have no interest in dining arrangements offerings where I need to choose where to eat every night or make a reservation to eat somewhere. I’m too lazy on vacation to think about stuff like that!

I like the consistency of being greeted by name by the M’d and the wait staff as we arrive at the Grills restaurant and lounge. No stuffiness/no pretension - just great service. 

Yes, one of the great things is that the waiting staff know you, greet you by name, and learn your preferences. For instance, I’m always thirsty, and need my water glass constantly filling, while my husband only wants half a glass of water. It is so relaxing not to have to keep explaining this. As you say, no pretension, just efficiency and kindness. I’m still trying to work out what colonial service is - which was mentioned somewhere, possibly another thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NE John said:

Like many others, my experiences sailing in Cunard’s three classes (except Club) certainly has the Grills dining experience rated much higher than Britannia. Food, and the overall dining experience, is very important to us and that’s why I believe Grills is worth the premium.

On the QM2 we have experienced all four "classes" at least twice each and on the QE twice each  except for Britannia Club. Britannia Club is something we enjoy when we don't wish to book the Grills. Although the Club staterooms are the same size as other balcony staterooms, on the QM2 those on the 2016 addition of Deck 13 are better decorated and have a bathroom with a large shower stall and a glass door.

After experiencing the Grills on the QE a few times I won't book the Grills on the QM2.  The dining room, lounge and ample deck space on the QE is superior according to many people.  Most people find the PG staterooms on the QM2 are better than those on the Vistas.  The biggest problem with PG staterooms (except on Queen Anne) is the provision of a deep bathtub. On the QM2 only the most extravagant QG suites have a separate shower.  On the Vistas even the cheapest QG suites have the convenience of a separate shower.  My DW can no longer handle getting into a tub for a shower. 

Some say once you have been in the Grills there is no going back.  Being realistic people, we don't find that at all. We do what we can reasonably afford from time to time - and, yes, we have enjoyed our voyages in Britannia. For the foreseeable future we will book Britannia Club on the QM2 and QG (we hope!) on the QE and QV.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, one of the great things is that the waiting staff know you, greet you by name, and learn your preferences. For instance, I’m always thirsty, and need my water glass constantly filling, while my husband only wants half a glass of water. It is so relaxing not to have to keep explaining this. As you say, no pretension, just efficiency and kindness. I’m still trying to work out what colonial service is - which was mentioned somewhere, possibly another thread.

Living in a former colony in New England,  I can’t imagine anything I’ve seen around here to match that “colonial service” description. And we have a local British restaurant called Gruel Britannia and there’s nothing colonial about that. To go off-tangent even more, most of the many existing houses around here from the American War of Independence were houses of owned Tory sympathizers; the British burned down the rebel houses!