What is the difference...

London-Calling

5 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

THERE ABSOLUTELY WAS A BRITANNIA GRILL. A mirror image of the PG.

and if you still don't believe me, here it is:

image.png.b91d957d9209517e7f36607db1e1a2a2.png

Thanks. That’ll save me getting out the brochure.

On 8/28/2024 at 1:15 AM, London-Calling said:

Thanks, but is the food different between the two dining rooms?

I did do a comparison of menus in this thread, albeit on a limited sample, and the short version is that there is some overlap - in fact overlaps with Britannia and Lido too, so you can do a very intricate Venn Diagram if you want. But QG does have the best options, more flexibility, more personalisation, more off-menu focus. I actually think the big difference is the waiting staff, since in QG - which simply has more waiters per table - really tries harder to make meals memorable.  That's not to say PG is going to be a bad experience, far from it.

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Thanks. That’ll save me getting out the brochure.

On QE2 they were constantly chopping the restaurants around. Britannia Grill - which was where the Columbia restaurant used to be, was formerly PG Starboard, as opposed to PG Port, the main PG, both on the Quarter Deck. It was all about Cunard trying to leverage more money, since adding the 100 to 120 seats in PG Starboard meant Cunard could designate some more cabins to the PG grade. PG Starboard and Port didn't go down very well with Cunard's marketing team and from 1994 it became Britannia Grill. With various refurbishments to PG and BG they did end up with somewhat different styles and different passengers would prefer one versus the other. 

Both of these areas where quite small - only about 15 tables in the 1990s, though the larger tables were phased out over time.

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

THERE ABSOLUTELY WAS A BRITANNIA GRILL. A mirror image of the PG.

and if you still don't believe me, here it is:

image.png.b91d957d9209517e7f36607db1e1a2a2.png

Yes, we remember enjoyed it. I remember well, there was a small staircase on the starboard side before the Caronia Bar. We had Captain Warwick as our Captain and we received a Cunard Award for Days at Sea from him. Other side of the ship, port side, Princess Grill...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pushpit said:

On QE2 they were constantly chopping the restaurants around. Britannia Grill - which was where the Columbia restaurant used to be, was formerly PG Starboard, as opposed to PG Port, the main PG, both on the Quarter Deck. It was all about Cunard trying to leverage more money, since adding the 100 to 120 seats in PG Starboard meant Cunard could designate some more cabins to the PG grade. PG Starboard and Port didn't go down very well with Cunard's marketing team and from 1994 it became Britannia Grill. With various refurbishments to PG and BG they did end up with somewhat different styles and different passengers would prefer one versus the other. 

Both of these areas where quite small - only about 15 tables in the 1990s, though the larger tables were phased out over time.

Indeed, over the decades there were cabins "promoted" to a higher restaurant class.  When we took our first  crossing in First Class (with dining in the Columbia Restaurant) in the  1970s we had a large midships cabin on Three Deck.  Many years later that had become a PG cabin.

On our last QE2 voyage in 2008 we had a cabin on Four Deck which was identical to the Tourist Class cabins we had previously. But now it was a Caronia (formerly Fist Class Columbia) restaurant cabin. 

Although we never travelled in the Grills on the QE2, I noticed at one point the assignment to the two PG restaurants was based on one's cabin number.

Edited by david,Mississauga
clarification
  • Like 2