Confusion over dress code...Le Bistro, Ocean Blue and Manhattan

31 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I wonder if those of us who have spent our lives in business attire and worse, subjected to endless black tie events, are more likely to shun formal attire while on vacation.

We used to enjoy dressing up.  No more.  

I have nothing against those who still enjoy dressing up as long as they do not try to impose their 'enjoyment' upon us.  Nothing gets me more than those that insist other should dress up so as not to spoil their 'ambiance'.  I'm not quite sure what 'ambiance' is, but evidently it is quite fragile since the sight of someone wearing shorts ruins the 'ambiance'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I wonder if those of us who have spent our lives in business attire and worse, subjected to endless black tie events, are more likely to shun formal attire while on vacation.

You may be onto something!!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i've spent almost 40 years of a legal career in a suit and tie. if any function requires either, im not going! LOL

I don't even own a tie.  I gave them all to GoodWill when I retired several years ago.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

At least they are wearing their pearls...

Just like Mrs. Cleaver.

We're binge watching "Leave it to Beaver" and it's crazy how June always wears pearls and Ward always wears a suit to dinner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The other issue with formal wear (suits, too), aside from being uncomfortable compared to shirts, shorts, tennis shoes, etc, is for those of us who have to fly into ports.  That means more luggage.  For just me, as a solo, I could not do carryon only, which means luggage fees with the airlines.  Plus, you have to schlub another large piece of luggage to and from the ship.

Good luck keeping that formal wear unwrinkled, too!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The other issue with formal wear (suits, too), aside from being uncomfortable compared to shirts, shorts, tennis shoes, etc, is for those of us who have to fly into ports.  That means more luggage.  For just me, as a solo, I could not do carryon only, which means luggage fees with the airlines.  Plus, you have to schlub another large piece of luggage to and from the ship.

Good luck keeping that formal wear unwrinkled, too!

Do what I do...have your valet pack your trunk and arrange for delivery to and from the ship.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Do what I do...have your valet pack your trunk and arrange for delivery to and from the ship.

My valet throws dirty socks into my burlap potato sack and ships it to the wrong address just so he can get a chuckle every time I cruise!

• Haha 2

On 8/31/2024 at 12:26 PM, graphicguy said:

Silly rule.  I can dine outside (which I prefer) in shorts.  And, 12" away, at a window I'm sitting next to, they require long pants.

We had this exact situation, Nov '22 on Encore:  Young couple sitting outside on the other side of the window we were sitting next to inside.  They were the only ones out there, it was a bit cool for alfresco dining, and they looked cold.   Looking at them sitting out there bothered me far more than had they been sitting next to us inside, shorts and all.

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

We had this exact situation, Nov '22 on Encore:  Young couple sitting outside on the other side of the window we were sitting next to inside.  They were the only ones out there, it was a bit cool for alfresco dining, and they looked cold.   Looking at them sitting out there bothered me far more than had they been sitting next to us inside, shorts and all.

IKR?  Just silly!

In all frankness, I know I'm in the minority, but I've never had a good meal in LeBistro.  Two in particular stand out...one, Coq a Vin....so salty I literally choked with my first bite.  The 2nd I had Lobster Thermador.  They broke the sauce and it was a greasy, unappetizing mess.  They brought another, same thing.  The Maitre 'D came by and gave me a dining credit after seeing it for himself.  I never found a good reason to go back.

In both cases I ended up going to the Garden Cafe.

So, for all intents and purposes, I have no reason to put long pants on to go to LeBistro, unless of course I owe a LeBistro dinner to @Sugar Magnolia and @debenson0723, which they will make a point of not letting me forget.

When I have dined there al fresco, I could literally see the diner next to me in the window.  If there weren't a window there, we could have toasted each other without even reaching.  

I'm welcomed in to Cagney's in shorts.  LeBistro?  Nope..unless I'm outside.  Just laugh at the absurdity of it.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

In all frankness, I know I'm in the minority, but I've never had a good meal in LeBistro.

Admittedly, I am not a fan of Le Bistro nor Cagney's. You might recall that I did not even order an entree at Cagney's. Why do I cruise? For the wacky folks I meet along the way.

23 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

So, for all intents and purposes, I have no reason to put long pants on to go to LeBistro, unless of course I owe a LeBistro dinner to @Sugar Magnolia and @debenson0723, which they will make a point of not letting me forget.

You betcha!

On 8/31/2024 at 11:50 AM, graphicguy said:

LeBistro-yes

Ocean Blu- no

Manhattan-not sure…been a while since I dined there

BUT- if you dine al fresco at any of them, no dress code at all (my personal choice)!

They must have changed it. Years ago, they sent my husband back to the cabin because he had Bermuda shorts on, and they wouldn't let him in Ocean Blue. He did have a nice, collared shirt on though.

Our honeymoon was in St. Croix, pre-change of centuries. From our room, we observed a wedding party. The men in the bridal party were wearing tuxes - the bottom potion of which were formal shorts. I've often wondered if tuxedo shorts would be acceptable. Note, we will not be toting such a type of tux to test out acceptability.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Admittedly, I am not a fan of Le Bistro nor Cagney's. You might recall that I did not even order an entree at Cagney's. Why do I cruise? For the wacky folks I meet along the way.

You betcha!

True....you did NOT order an entre at Cagney's.  So, you owe ME that dinner back in my Latitudes account.

Always wondered if they'd let me dine inside if I dressed like "Madea" or Eddie Izzard?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Just like Mrs. Cleaver.

We're binge watching "Leave it to Beaver" and it's crazy how June always wears pearls and Ward always wears a suit to dinner.

We could go off on a whole litany of jokes about Ward, June and the Beav!!!!!!

Not saying I would, but I could!!!!

😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lastingtouch said:

They must have changed it. Years ago, they sent my husband back to the cabin because he had Bermuda shorts on, and they wouldn't let him in Ocean Blue. He did have a nice, collared shirt on though.

As my post above mentions, November 2022 they were requiring pants in Ocean Blue.

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

IKR?  Just silly!

In all frankness, I know I'm in the minority, but I've never had a good meal in LeBistro.  Two in particular stand out...one, Coq a Vin....so salty I literally choked with my first bite.  The 2nd I had Lobster Thermador.  They broke the sauce and it was a greasy, unappetizing mess.  They brought another, same thing.  The Maitre 'D came by and gave me a dining credit after seeing it for himself.  I never found a good reason to go back.

In both cases I ended up going to the Garden Cafe.

When I have dined there al fresco, I could literally see the diner next to me in the window.  If there weren't a window there, we could have toasted each other without even reaching.  

I'm welcomed in to Cagney's in shorts.  LeBistro?  Nope..unless I'm outside.  Just laugh at the absurdity of it.

:Literaly? Wow!

12 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

:Literaly? Wow!

I know.  I keep thinking I should go back to LeBistro, but they haven't given me a reason to do so.  I've heard their steak is decent, but it comes with foie gras, which I'm definitely not a fan of.

Maybe the escargot?  I've heard it's good.  French Onion soup is good, but I can get that at Cagney's, too.

So, why bother at all?

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I know.  I keep thinking I should go back to LeBistro, but they haven't given me a reason to do so.  I've heard their steak is decent, but it comes with foie gras, which I'm definitely not a fan of.

Maybe the escargot?  I've heard it's good.  French Onion soup is good, but I can get that at Cagney's, too.

So, why bother at all?

The filet de boeuf at Le Bistro is now foie gras free for your enjoyment.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I've seen your legs in shorts.  It's not difficult to understand why they would insist on your wearing long pants.

• Haha 3