Anyone know how spas compare between ships?

TGfromTX

I have only cruised on Beyond with Celebrity so far. I did not use the spa but upon checking it out, I was disappointed in what it included.  Just different steam, sweat, and lounging rooms/areas - some with views.  I think one dripped rain-like from the ceiling, but there were no whirlpool features I've seen on other lines.

Are all the spas on Celebrity ships similar in that way?  Or are there any ships that have better features?

I don’t believe I’ve seen the warm pool on any X ships which is a shame because it’s the only reason I would ever buy the thermal pass. I suppose I should thank them for saving me $200 on every cruise 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know about M class ships but the spa areas in S and E class have been somewhat disappointing. No jacuzzi or pools or anything like that, just steam rooms, showers and heated tile loungers. Oh and a 'sauna' but it's an infra red sauna and on the Beyond last year it was pretty much the same temperature as the rest of the spa area! Several other people were commenting that it wasn't even remotely hot. We asked at reception if it was broken and they said no, it's working fine that's just how it is. 

• Thanks 1

The Solarium pools are supposed to be kept warm.. with a few jets..ususlly not!  No true T pools anymore on X

we prefer the thermal suite  on S Class ships but there is not a  pool in the  area

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

The Solarium pools are supposed to be kept warm.. with a few jets..ususlly not!  No true T pools anymore on X

we prefer the thermal suite  on S Class ships but there is not a  pool in the  area

Indeed.  None of X's ships have had a therapy pool in the 'spa' area, and they haven't had a good one in public space (Solarium) since the old Century class ships.  The in-pool jets actually had some velocity back then.  And I used to love to stand under those pipes and let the water pound down on my neck and shoulders.  It was like standing under a fire hose.  Cheapest Swedish massage ever! 

The M class 'bubble beds' are kind of relaxing - if you roll up a small towel to put under your head and keep up a bit on the 'bed' so you don't float away.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OysterD said:

I don't know about M class ships but the spa areas in S and E class have been somewhat disappointing. No jacuzzi or pools or anything like that, just steam rooms, showers and heated tile loungers. Oh and a 'sauna' but it's an infra red sauna and on the Beyond last year it was pretty much the same temperature as the rest of the spa area! Several other people were commenting that it wasn't even remotely hot. We asked at reception if it was broken and they said no, it's working fine that's just how it is. 

As much as I love the EClass ships design, the spa, for as much prime space dedicated to it, is an overall miss, IMO.

5 hours ago, canderson said:

Indeed.  None of X's ships have had a therapy pool in the 'spa' area, and they haven't had a good one in public space (Solarium) since the old Century class ships. 

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn that the Mercury's thalassotherapy pool was in the spa. That was my first X cruise, and hitting that pool was a daily ritual. Sheer bliss!

1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn that the Mercury's thalassotherapy pool was in the spa. That was my first X cruise, and hitting that pool was a daily ritual. Sheer bliss!

Possible.  Century, Galaxy and Mercury were all the same "class" , but definitely not identical (especially after the crazy Century mods they did in 2006).

1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Nope.  You're right.  Pool was between the saunas and changing areas.  I just recall it being readily accessible to all ... not like most of today's spa areas.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Nope.  You're right.  Pool was between the saunas and changing areas.  I just recall it being readily accessible to all ... not like most of today's spa areas.

True, most spa areas today are a different beast. And I guess it doesn't matter much either way, spa or solarium ... it was amazing and very much missed!!

2 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

yes.. it was the best!  Real therapeutic minerals and various water massage stations..Century had one too but they took it out to enlarge spa area abd add a barbershop!

23 hours ago, canderson said:

The M class 'bubble beds' are kind of relaxing - if you roll up a small towel to put under your head and keep up a bit on the 'bed' so you don't float away.

I tried to identify what you are referring to on the Millennium but I only found what look like soap bubble bath tubs.  Is that what you are referring to?

Also, can someone confirm if a thalassotherapy pool and a hydrotherapy pool is the same thing?  So far, I don't think anyone has identified any Celebrity ship currently operational that has a pool in the spa area.

16 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I tried to identify what you are referring to on the Millennium but I only found what look like soap bubble bath tubs.  Is that what you are referring to?

Also, can someone confirm if a thalassotherapy pool and a hydrotherapy pool is the same thing?  So far, I don't think anyone has identified any Celebrity ship currently operational that has a pool in the spa area.

I call them 'bubble beds' for lack a better description.  They're part of the Solarium t-pool on M class.  (Editing to add photo)  They're what you see on the far left/right of the pool here, where two people are on one of them on the right:

TPool.jpg.71e879a713e0e29c5228e76630242f3b.jpg

Picture super wide loungers, under water, made up of stainless steel tubing with compressed air being run through a zillion little holes in the tubing.  Depending upon the water depth, the velocity of the bubbles, and your anatomy, they might just float you right up off the tubing.

I'm just recalling something similar in the medium temperature pool at Glenwood Springs, but you had to put in a quarter in those to get the air started 😄

And I agree, not a ship in current fleet with a pool inside the spa area.  That ended with the ships that are now no longer in the X fleet.

Edited by canderson
  • Thanks 1

We call those the "racks".. all.metal

not very  comfy and sometimes a struggle to stay on as the water pulses 

Is the photp M or S class?  it's been awhile!.

Solarium pools  are  open. no cost..Adults only except limited family hrs on some itins 

.Persian Garden or Thermal suites with steam rms  and  heated loungers/ bench require purchase of a pass.. or being in sn AQ class  cabin

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

M class.  Yes, you can float right off if you lay flat, as noted earlier.  I've found that if I pull back/up just a little and place a small folded towel under my head for comfort, my head and shoulders seem to keep me anchored in place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

M class.  Yes, you can float right off if you lay flat, as noted earlier.  I've found that if I pull back/up just a little and place a small folded towel under my head for comfort, my head and shoulders seem to keep me anchored in place.

looks like a  nice pool as I recall they were but no plans to go back to M Class right now... waiting for a Connie update

We are trying Silhouette again. after many yrs. We were on her in her 1st season. 

We just need a break from E Class for awhile.  Ascent was great but a bit too much party!

• Like 1

This is our first time sailing with Celebrity in December 2024 on the Apex and this is the one thing I am pretty sure I will miss from NCL. The thermal spa on NCL is why we keep sailing with NCL, but we decided to give Celebrity a try.  But I am worried this will be the one big negative for Celebrity.  The difference between thermal spas is huge. The NCL thermal spa pool and amenities is AMAZING!!!!!

On 9/2/2024 at 11:10 AM, canderson said:

They're part of the Solarium t-pool on M class.  (Editing to add photo)  They're what you see on the far left/right of the pool here, where two people are on one of them on the right:

Thanks for the photo.  I was looking at photos of the spa.  NCL's Epic has those in their spa pool but I haven't seen those anywhere else thus far.

On 9/2/2024 at 1:05 PM, Noworkforme23 said:

This is our first time sailing with Celebrity in December 2024 on the Apex and this is the one thing I am pretty sure I will miss from NCL. The thermal spa on NCL is why we keep sailing with NCL, but we decided to give Celebrity a try.  But I am worried this will be the one big negative for Celebrity.  The difference between thermal spas is huge. The NCL thermal spa pool and amenities is AMAZING!!!!!

I took my first Celebrity cruise (on beyond) in July.  Before that I cruised with NCL mostly.  I couldn't justify purchase of the thermal suite on Celebrity at all in comparison with what was on NCL epic.  

• Like 1