Where to start

We have been on a dozen plus cruises over the years with 2 in Europe and the rest in the US/Carribian/Mexico.

Starting to look/plan at an Australia cruise.  Any recommendations on Step 1?

Start with when (limited cruise options between April & October). Then how long do you have to travel.

The main cruise options here are 4 week Aussie circumnavigations, 2 weeks to New Zealand, 1 to 2 week cruises into the south Pacific, 1 week QLD coastal cruises out of Brisbane.

Sydney is the main cruise port, with options from most of the main cruise lines. Brisbane also has options with Princess, Carnival & Royal Caribbean.

Good luck planning.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, eppler said:

We have been on a dozen plus cruises over the years with 2 in Europe and the rest in the US/Carribian/Mexico.

Previous responder made good point about how long you have to travel and time of year. Australia is a huge country and most of the tourism areas are on the southeast and east coasts. And the majority of cruises are in the US fall/winter which is Australian spring/summer, which can be very hot and humid, especially as you get further northeast. 

Having done the west coast of Australia on a cruise last year, I would say if you have the time, do a circumnavigation cruise. The west coast is ver different. I have now been to all states and territories in Australia except for Canberra, and my favorites are Tasmania, Western Australia, and Adelaide/Kangaroo Island. But honestly, Melbourne and Sydney are amazing too, especially if you like big cities. 

Princess is the big cruise line in Australia but they stick with the major ports. I cruised with Oceania and Regent Seven Seas there and they do a lot more of the smaller ports. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Previous responder made good point about how long you have to travel and time of year. Australia is a huge country and most of the tourism areas are on the southeast and east coasts. And the majority of cruises are in the US fall/winter which is Australian spring/summer, which can be very hot and humid, especially as you get further northeast. 

Having done the west coast of Australia on a cruise last year, I would say if you have the time, do a circumnavigation cruise. The west coast is ver different. I have now been to all states and territories in Australia except for Canberra, and my favorites are Tasmania, Western Australia, and Adelaide/Kangaroo Island. But honestly, Melbourne and Sydney are amazing too, especially if you like big cities. 

Princess is the big cruise line in Australia but they stick with the major ports. I cruised with Oceania and Regent Seven Seas there and they do a lot more of the smaller ports. 

Not forgetting sunny Queensland and the Barrier Reef!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eppler said:

Also to note, we are pretty laid back and speak English (sort of), so it is easy to interact and do some independent stuff, instead of being reliant of cookie-cutter tours & packages.

What is important to you? Some itineraries suit certain activities more than others.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Australia is a huge country and most of the tourism areas are on the southeast and east coasts.

It pays to keep in mind that quantity does not equal quality.  Give us a go over here on the best side.  😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My suggestion would be a circumnavigation with an extension to Tassie, if possible.  From Oz it's only a quick trip across the ditch to New Zealand, now that's real treat!

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bubbeh said:

It pays to keep in mind that quantity does not equal quality.  Give us a go over here on the best side.  😉

Now, now Bubbeh. We ALL have something to offer! No need for one upmanship. 🤣 Or should that be 'personship'?? 🤦‍♀️

• Haha 1

Just now, ceeceeDee said:

Now, now Bubbeh. We ALL have something to offer! No need for one upmanship. 🤣 Or should that be 'personship'?? 🤦‍♀️

Well, let's be totally woke (a new word/concept my grandies have taught me) and use 'perchildship' - no overtly sexist language here.  😁

• Haha 5

I think I identify as a Cruiser (and I don't mean the navy ship - although I will put my hand up for high speed and extended cruising!! 😂). I can't claim substantial size as I'm 49 kilos wringing wet.🤭

Cruisers, characterised by their substantial size, are constructed for high-speed and extended cruising ranges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

Also to note, we are pretty laid back and speak English (sort of), so it is easy to interact and do some independent stuff, instead of being reliant of cookie-cutter tours & packages.

What is important to you? Some itineraries suit certain activities more than others.

Thank you for all the input.

We are mid-50s and love to do active things, followed by a great dinner and bottle of wine.

• Like 2

If you have the time I'd suggest doing some land travel in NZ, to see the inland parts of the country. Follow that by a one way, Auckland to Australia, cruise. Then visit Uluru and the Great Barrier Reef (Port Douglas is best for this), and finish with a Round Australia cruise, or vice versa depending on the timing. 

February/March is the best time to visit NZ, then by the time you get to Australia we should be past the hottest part of our summer.

The best of Australia requires a land trip. Circumnavigations of our very big island take a long time and have many sea days between ports. You can do a shorter east coast cruise, then add a land tour. Be careful of choosing destinations by best weather. Avoid tropical parts of the country in the wet season, where you may get high heat, humidity, rain and the chance of cyclones, plus the risk of painful marine stingers when swimming. Winter (June, July, August) in southern Australia is less than ideal for travel.

New Zealand is better for cruising, with multiple port stops and less sea days.

3 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

The best of Australia requires a land trip. Circumnavigations of our very big island take a long time and have many sea days between ports. You can do a shorter east coast cruise, then add a land tour. Be careful of choosing destinations by best weather. Avoid tropical parts of the country in the wet season, where you may get high heat, humidity, rain and the chance of cyclones, plus the risk of painful marine stingers when swimming. Winter (June, July, August) in southern Australia is less than ideal for travel.

New Zealand is better for cruising, with multiple port stops and less sea days.

Totally disagree. LOL. NZ is far better by land. The ports available in NZ are not the cream of what's available.. most of them I wouldn't even bother with if I was making an itinerary for tourists. Most of Aussie of interest is on the coast though.🤣