Our 50th Anniversary Greek Land Adventure and 9-Night Best of Greece Cruise Aboard the Infinity, Departing Athens on Sept 19

We arrived at our Son’s house Sunday afternoon, went through the whole hugs and kisses routine, got our luggage sorted out, and drove to the hospital.  He was able to recognize us and we enjoyed some conversations and light humor.

Over the course of the next four days our son’s condition progressively worsened.  Tuesday, he was able to recognize our daughter and DW’s younger brother.  He again engaged in conversation and even demanded to be taken outside to smoke; a habit he had given up in March.  Wednesday his condition had remarkably degenerated and Thursday night at 10 O’clock he passed.  It was a welcomed blessing on all of us.

Next

Reorganizing the Itinerary 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chemmo said:

So sorry for your loss but so pleased you were with him at the end…Thoughts and prayers are with you.

12 hours ago, barneyboy said:

So sorry for your loss but pleased you made it to see him. 

9 hours ago, Ciaranaman said:

I am so sorry for your loss.  Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

~Bernadette

9 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

Sorry for your loss, glad you and your wife were able to make it in time and see him.

Thank-You All for your condolences!  

Before beginning to discuss re-inventing the itinerary, permit to bring you up to date on something I mentioned earlier.  I mentioned that Condor had provided us with some PJ's that I had stuffed into my backpack.  Good thing I did!

When DD arrived on Tuesday, her checked baggage did not.  The connection on her arrival in Atlanta from Jacksonville was just too short for her checked bag to make it.  The Condor PJ's saved the day (err night) for her!

image.thumb.jpeg.76ab6a4a57ac0860b0bb0884fc2e3541.jpeg

• Like 4

The morning after our son passed, we departed his house for my BiL Tom's house in Kaiserslautern (K-Town). It was just too crowed at our son's house and it was time for his wife and adult daughters to be by themselves.

As we were on our way DW reminded herself that the rental period for our rental car was expiring the next day.  We had two choices, either return to the airport or find a Hertz office in K-Town.  A Google search showed there were three hertz offices in K-Town and all of them would still be open when we arrived there. That was really good news!

The really bad news is that two of those officers were no longer in service.  The third one was on Ramstein Air Force Base.  Fortunately, things I did in a prior life gave me access to the Base and we were able to extend the contract until Wednesday the 18th.

That completed and BiL Tom in tow, we headed off to eat the first real meal we had had since arriving on German soil.

We went to one of Tom’s frequent haunts and DE, DD, and I ordered schnitzels, fries and pfifferling (chanterelle) mushrooms and sauce.  It was way too much for each of us to eat, but did it ever taste good!

image.thumb.jpeg.46233fa3937c2a0275c5334bd33e899e.jpeg

After dinner, it was back to Tom’s house and long, uninterrupted night of sleep.

• Like 2

Sunday

September 15th

The weather was on the dry side this morning and promised to be warmer throughout the day.

Today we are off for lunch with another of DW’s brothers, his wife, and youngest daughter.  We are going meet at the Limburg Abby in Bad Durkheim.  The hyper link will lead you the history of the Abby.  Most notably buried there is Gunhilda of Denmark.

As side from the ruins, there is what appears to be a small cemetery and a restaurant.  We didn’t notice the cemetery until we were driving off and were unable to shoot any photos.

image.png.74cd757a2061dd34c1e8abed332abe13.png

image.png.57539e6697660a9d5b56f6f4964c6dd9.png

image.png.6c639b046a79b5d397bc72dc2ccaeff4.png

The Restaurant

image.png.77dd01a10dbd8920ff204e9d6bbc2afd.png

image.png.bbd5fe00a4eb46ece788eadee8e8d7fb.png

image.png.74189361e3b9701fb5e26c54083c21aa.png

The Food

image.png.906776b71f117670083b56b403f1d950.png

Salad, Slices of German Rye Bread Covered in a Creamy Tomato Sauce

image.png.84c7ba55629b96876a54cf94eaee0675.png

Baked Potato with Mushrooms

image.png.09a5921ca0f66638aa2d04c520bf523a.png

Mixed Salad

image.png.f413cd12e96676a15dbfac3fd387f155.png

Mixed Salad and a German Style Mac & Cheese with Mushrooms

image.png.5d27160d851b268143e8d5d6c20080e0.png

Leberknödel (Liver Dumplings) ---My Choice

The View

image.thumb.png.4471cc35ec6f520203156a883e92f1b9.png

After a short visit at Hanas’ house, with coffee and plumb cake, it was back to BiL Tom’s house for a quiet evening and a good night’s sleep.  The German rolling shutters (Rolladens) really help to pitch the bedroom into total darkness.  But, the morning sunrise blocked, sometimes that means you unintentionally sleep-in.

image.png.8a725886cfd1acc70929c790782c6064.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

On 9/15/2024 at 3:24 AM, Traveling Fools said:

We arrived at our Son’s house Sunday afternoon, went through the whole hugs and kisses routine, got our luggage sorted out, and drove to the hospital.  He was able to recognize us and we enjoyed some conversations and light humor.

Over the course of the next four days our son’s condition progressively worsened.  Tuesday, he was able to recognize our daughter and DW’s younger brother.  He again engaged in conversation and even demanded to be taken outside to smoke; a habit he had given up in March.  Wednesday his condition had remarkably degenerated and Thursday night at 10 O’clock he passed.  It was a welcomed blessing on all of us.

Next

Reorganizing the Itinerary 

So very sorry for your loss...

There really are no words to help, but we are all thinking of you and your family...

• Like 1