New to solo cruising

ezgoaz

Are you looking specifically at a HAL cruise? Join the roll call for your cruise. It's a great way to meet people before you're even on the ship. I'm guessing you're newly solo? You may feel like you're the only solo there, but you aren't. HAL gets a lot of singles, and there are get-togethers you might want to go to. 

I don't mind being on my own during the day. Depending on the port, I may just wander around by myself, taking pictures, checking out my "usual" haunts--bakery, yarn shop, museum, or garden. Sometimes I take a tour, either with people on the roll call or a ship's tour. If you're on a tour, that's a common interest, and some people enjoy sharing the experience by chatting on the bus or walking the tour together. 

I don't mind breakfast or lunch alone. I actually like breakfast alone, as I'm not human before coffee. But I don't like dinner alone. I like to have fixed dining at a large table. That way I get to know people, and each night, if nothing else, there's "what did you do today?" People who ask for a large table do so because they enjoy being with other people. I've met a lot of interesting people at dinner. On my last cruise (Queen Elizabeth to Alaksa), I looked forward to dinner every night. I never knew what we would be talking about, but I knew we'd be laughing about something. 

If you have any specific questions, just ask! And welcome to Cruise Critic. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

If you are looking to not spend all your time alone, there have been some great suggestions so far.

I agree to the fixed dining with a large table. Most of the time I have cruised solo the others at my fixed dining table have also been solo cruisers, whereas when I did fixed dining as a duo, all of the other parties at the table were also duos.  Spending dinner with other solo cruisers makes me feel like less of a third wheel than when I've been put with those in pairs.

Joining the roll call is another great suggestion I agree with. I've had good luck coordinating with others on shore excursions through outside vendors which have made them more affordable then going it alone, as well as allowed me to meet some people who I can then spend time with during the cruise if we find each other interesting.

If you are a drinker, finding a favorite bar and patronizing it consistently will let you meet other "regulars" who you also may enjoy spending additional time with throughout the cruise.

One of my favorite parts of cruising solo is it allows me to be as social or not as I wish, depending on my mood. Be attuned to those around you - if someone next to you is deep in a book, striking up a conversation might not be appreciated, as an example.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2

I've done two solo cruises, and really enjoyed both. I have another booked for December (my first solo on Holland). I've found have a schedule and a plan helps a lot. If you got to breakfast at the same time each day, you'll see the same people - and maybe strike up a conversation. Go to activities - do the morning walking or stretching, join a shuffleboard tournament, fold origami frogs, play trivia. Bring a book or three, for those in between times. Consider booking something at most of the ports, even if you aren't really an excursion person.

Also, others might disagree, but I can't imagine cruising solo without the upgraded Internet package. I want to be able to watch silly YouTube videos if I get lonely or text my friends pictures of sunset or Google what to do at the next port.

I have completed many solo cruises.  I have enjoyed all of them, some more so than others.  As others have said, join your roll call, attend solo meet ups, share a large table.  When you go to breakfast or lunch tell the maitre d you would like to share a table with others.