NCL Viva: The Good, The Bad, the DISSAPOINTING: Italy, Turkey, Croatia, and Greece (with hints, tips, and help)

Travel R

18 hours ago, erisajd said:

Being in pain colors any experience . . . .

Magnificent cruise ship meals in the main dining rooms ended in the 1970s

There is a choice for a better experience - the Haven.  Yes - it costs twice as much but if you have limited mobility there are no lines on or off the ship, a private dining room, plus the two or more specialty dining choices.  

Cruise line can't do anything about weather - so if your complaint was about the heat and humidity perhaps choosing a time other than summer would be the better choice. September is a fantastic time to cruise the Med. 

I NEVER go on a cruise for the entertainment, either.  

Glad overall you had a good time .

Thanks for your comments.

You are so correct about pain.  Until last year I have always been in relative good shape.  This was a disappointment that I could not do anything about. Although I have been working hard to overcome it. I was not able to do my 5-mile runs through the empty streets of Rome at 5:30 am, but I was able to walk during the day to see most of the sites. If anyone out there is a runner - you can understand my disappointment.

We do not cruise for the entertainment, in fact do not really look to see what is being offered until after we book.. Although I was probably aware of Beetlejuice, it did not affect my decision.  In fact my DW had already seen it on Broadway, so it was of no consequence (I will provide her brief comparison in due time).

I'll get into this in an upcoming post, but we do not cruise for the food, entertainment, or even the ship (although when our kids were younger and two itineraries were similar, I would try to chose the ship that was more kid-friendly). It is the itinerary that is our focus (well, that and cost) and if it fit into our window for taking a vacation.

Speaking of time of year to travel  . . . . . we have been very fortunate to have traveled to many places around the world both via cruise (and I know it is Taboo to speak of such things on here, but also) and non-cruise.  While there are certain times of year that are optimum to travel it is not always possible.  First, the desire to take our children across the big Pond to allow them to experience new cultures and experiences meant that travelling during the summer when they did not have school (December was always too busy to travel and also more expensive).  Even now, my DD's are grown ups, planning a family cruise for next year is still limiting - one DD is still in undergrad and the other is getting her doctorate.

But I am sure you are going to point out that we did not go with our daughters on this cruise.  That would be correct. It is common sense that it will be hot in the summer in Europe, especially Southern Europe. the heat was another disappointment I could do nothing about, but in over a dozen trips to Europe, this was by far the hottest and wish it was cooler. There is one very important detail that I have not yet revealed.  Some of you reading this will know, for others, this will be a teaser to get the remainder of you to read further posts.

In ten years from now I am not going to remember a stitch of food I ate nor the entertainment I attended. However, I will remember the amazing places I have been and the great times I had with my beautiful DW and our amazing friends.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, TPgal said:

As a planner, I am happily waiting on each new post and set basic Internet security aside to download the food venue schedule.  

I printed it, to put in my folder for our July Viva cruise (Athens, Kudasai, Istanbul, some islands), and failed to see that there were nine other pages of info that I'm now pouring over.  If I can't cruise this week at least I can follow your logic for dinner planning.  

Hope you find it useful.

• Like 1

“But the dawn is breakin’, It’s early morn. The taxi’s waitin’, he’s blowin’ his horn.”

When does your cruise vacation begin?  Is it the moment you hear the snap of your seatbelt after getting yourself properly situated in the taxi?  Is it when you cross through the security zone being scrutinized by many eyes and possibly by probing hands? Perhaps it is that moment you walk off the plane and into the arms of a distant land?  Maybe your vacation starts when handed the almighty sea card that not only procures your right to board the ship, but more importantly (to some) to give one the power to obtain insurmountable quantities of liquor?

To me the vacation, at least mentally, begins long before my first whiff of the sea air.  To me, it begins as soon as I begin my planning. In fact, it was 2018 or 19 that this tale first takes root. It began simply as a conversation between the four main characters of this play. Myself, a middle-aged professional with a keen interest in history and an immense love for his wife (DW; Darling Wife). The DW, a former model with a keen mind and spirit.  The friends, who are more like family, have been dutiful servants of the state in two of the most noble of professions.  Our 25th wedding anniversary was perched upon the distant horizon, and we were discussing our possible celebratory plans – another cruse, but with a return to the Eternal City.  It did not take long for our quartet to begin formulating the lyrics that were to become the outline of our adventure.

Being a planner, the wheels began turning and I had 30 pages of information typed before the first leaves of fall had made their way to the ground.  I’s were dotted. T’s were crossed. I was ready to make my reservation. However, the winds of chaos had begun to blow, and the plague known as COVID spread its evil to all corners of the land.

[Side note: Although Rome was always in the mixture, we had seriously considered a vacation of Italy-by-land only, luxury/semi-luxury cruises, and even a river cruise with a multi-day layover in Roma.  For our 25th (thereafter), while the East Coast was still breathing through their masks of repugnance, I planned a short trip to Sin City, USA known to some as Las Vegas.  In conformity with the original theme of visiting Italy, we lodged at the Bellagio (Italian-themed hotel), undertook a Gondola ride, dined at Italian restaurants, and strolled the halls of the Forum at Caesar's Palace. No, it could not compare to an actual Italian holiday, but the hotel room was amazing and no face coverings for an entire week was a huge bonus. Most importantly we had a great time just getting away.]

Once the Great Plague of the 21st century began to fade, the planning had once again progressed.  Although we looked at many options, we decided upon a wonderful itinerary offered by NCL aboard the Viva.  Our friend, being in education, had limited time periods to sail for such an extended period.  Although knowing it could be hot (very, very hot) in Europe during the summer, we decided that it was worth it in order to experience this once-in-a-lifetime vacation with our dearest friends.  In hindsight, after knowing the extent of the heat an humidity, we would emphatically re-affirm our decision to go.

Twas’ more than a year prior to sailing that we put our wagers down on this vacation.  We found the right itinerary for the right price during the two-week period we could travel and the rest, as they say, is history.  [A history, of course, which I will unfurl over the the next few posts.]

[I know that this post was big nebulous, but does, hopefully, provide some background (and answers the question “why did you travel to Europe in the summer?" The next post will go into how to chose a cruise and why we specifically chose this itinerary.]

• Like 2

While I am sorting through the photos taken from my camera, I will post a few more random (unedited) pics taken from my phone.

Although one might see this as a disappointment, experiencing a major downpour atop the Acropolis was a unique experience that cooled us down and hurried along our tour.

VivaRainUponAcropolis.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/4/2024 at 7:51 AM, bluesea777 said:

We are non-Americans and are real foodies … we will not go to chain restaurants in the states or have pizzas in the US either. 

We love the food in most restaurants here in Bermuda and in Europe, and in most specialty restaurants on ships. Palomar on Viva is one of our faves and also Onda on various ships. 

I live in the US and do not eat fast food or go to chain restaurants. However, we do have good pizza (not chains), two of my daughters went to Italy in august (not together) and enjoyed the pizza, but were not wow’d. The NYC metro area has a ton of independent pizzerias. We do not get pizza when we travel to other areas in the US, my IL’s live an hour west of us and the pizza is pretty gross.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Travel R said:

“But the dawn is breakin’, It’s early morn. The taxi’s waitin’, he’s blowin’ his horn.”

When does your cruise vacation begin?  ... In hindsight, after knowing the extent of the heat an humidity, we would emphatically re-affirm our decision to go....

...“why did you travel to Europe in the summer?" The next post will go into how to chose a cruise and why we specifically chose this itinerary.]

Vacation really starts for me when the plane is taking off! With the planning and packing behind me, I'm then flying by the seat of my pants on my next great adventure!

I worked at a university and August was the best time for us to cruise. Hot? Yes! Sea breezes helped. On shore we donned our 'sun'brellas that, from the looks on other people's faces, were  coveted... hmmmm, reading their minds, "Why didn't WE think of that?"!!!

Edited to add, August in Europe!

Edited by Adventures ahead
  • Like 1

How to Choose a Cruise and the Reasons for Choosing This 9-Day Greek Island Itinerary

Everyone vacations differently. There is no wrong way to vacation and whatever you do is what is best for you.  All vacations, however, have hiccups . . . even the most stringently planned vacations. It is how you deal with the hiccups that will determine how much you enjoy your vacation.

Let’s get to the meat of this discussion . . . . How do I go about choosing a cruise and why did we chose this particular one?

We began our search with two criteria. First being that it had to include Rome and second that our adventure occur during the last two weeks of August with an absolute end-date of being home by August 1st.  I literally every English-centric cruise that fit this criteria, including:

·       Their full itinerary (because itinerary is king)

·       Name of the ship (which meant little to everyone except me)

·       Maximum number of passengers (which had little bearing, but easy to find the info, so why not)

·       Approximate Cost (for basic balcony, although also provided cost for suites, if easy to deduce; I included all cruises, regardless of their price)

·       Perks & Incentives (BOGOS, Free Excursions, Free Airfare (real free airfare like on Regent) and other perks could be a deciding factor).

·       No predominately Western Mediterranean cruises (unfortunately for our friends, myself and DW had previously visited many areas in the Western Med both via cruise and non-cruise, so we did not want to spend all the money on another cruise to places we had already travelled.  We plan to go back to Barcelona when they finally finish the Familia Sagrada, but that will not be for many years).

We then looked at the list and narrowed it down to the itineraries we preferred, and then came to a final decision.  It was one that reasonably included a stay in Rome (although not part of the cruise itself), and easily allowed for a visit to Venice before heading to Trieste, and that is before sailing on an itinerary to some of the most iconic places in the world.  The following list does not include everything, but who can turn down an itinerary that includes the everything from the Pantheon to the Parthenon:

·       Pantheon

·       Colosseum (with underground access)

·       Vatican (St. Peters, Sistine Chapel, Raphael Rooms)

·       Pantheon

·       Roman Forum

·       Pompeii

·       Beautiful Amalfi Coast

·       Gondola Ride on the Canals of Venice

·       St. Marks Basilica and Doges Palace

·       Game of Thrones filming locations in Croatia

·       Ruins of Akrotiri

·       Ephesus and the Temple of Artemis

·       Hagia Sofia (Blue Mosque & Grand Bazaar)

·       Acropolis (and Museum)

·       Parthenon

Please note that these are MY highlights.  If you ask the friends we travelled with or even my DW, the list may look different.  As someone with interest in Ancient Civilizations I grinned with delight when I saw that Akrotiri and Ephesus were part of this itinerary. However, others may not know what they are or even the difference between the two ancient sites.  [As a personal note, I hope I took the interests and desires of my DW and friends into account when planning this trip.]

These are just the highlights. There are also so many other sites and experiences that those listed are just the tip of the iceberg.  I personally knocked off half a dozen bucket list items during this cruise and even better, got to do it with my wonderful DW and some amazing friends.

Our next cruise, which is going to be with the family (and my “kids” are now adults) has different criteria.  (1) It should include at least one place (i.e., country) we have never been to before, (2) not include as much travel to and from the initial and ending (i.e., East Coast or Texas), (3) not too expensive, and (4) complies with school and work time constraints (i.e., between semesters, internships, and a week or less).

I have already found a cruise that is complaint with the above requiem; just waiting for the right time to book it.  Although it does begin, end and stop at ports we have previously visited, and includes a day at one of the Corporate Cays (usually I am not a big fan), the selected itinerary does port in a country none of us have previously visited.

Contrary to what some may assume based on my first post, and even with my comment about the uninspiring food aboard the past NCL sailing, I already have the Cruise Next credits waiting to be used (purchased on the Viva). I do not remember the ship, nor what entertainment is aboard, and already know about the food, but those are not factors that matter most to us.  In the past, “kid-friendly” would have been a major factor, but my DDs are solidly in the 18-25 age group, so kids clubs are a thing of the past. [I want to thank Royal and NCL for providing such great experiences for both my daughters over the years.]

Next Up . . . .  Planning and Packing

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Travel R said:

We plan to go back to Barcelona when they finally finish the Familia Sagrada, but that will not be for many years).

Not too long! In two short years, that atrocity of a building will be finished. I find nothing attractive about it, at all. I suppose I'm glad I saw it, but once was enough. 

Based on the article below, I suppose you may mean all the other accoutrements in the building. Then it would be a few years - 2034 completion date.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/25/sagrada-familia-barcelona-completed-2026-stairway

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not too long! In two short years, that atrocity of a building will be finished. I find nothing attractive about it, at all. I suppose I'm glad I saw it, but once was enough. 

Based on the article below, I suppose you may mean all the other accoutrements in the building. Then it would be a few years - 2034 completion date.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/25/sagrada-familia-barcelona-completed-2026-stairway

Thanks for the info. Like food, art is subjective and I can understand why some may not find his works appealing. For me however, I do look forward to seeing the architecture in its completed form, including the staircase and all.

• Thanks 1

as a wise man once said "dont hold your breath" . they've been working on this for almost 150 years. we've seen it twice. the front (imho) is amazing, beautiful and the craftsmanship/workmanship is inspiring. the back side meh, not so much!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 5:12 PM, Travel R said:

I have deleted my original post and just not going to respond to this.

If that is what you think, fine. Just as food from England has historically been thought of being on the bottom of the food chain in International circles (both literally and figuratively), I would never say so since I have cooked several dishes myself (including an amazing Pudding) and know that statement would be untrue.  Yet, this idea about British cooking still persists.

What foreigners think food from a country is like and what food in this country is actually like (for ordinary people) are completely different things. 

I come from a country (France) that is well known internationally for its cuisine but the French food that gets talked about abroad is 90% fancy Michelin star stuff very few people actually get to eat. Did you know, for example, that French people have a passion for gourmet burgers? Seriously, if you get the chance, try them out, they're nothing like US burgers, but very good in their own way. 🙂

I've lived in several countries (including the UK) and travelled to many more (including the US) and the boring truth is that you will find great food and disgusting food everywhere. In some countries, you just have better odds at finding good food because they have a history of food production and a culture of cooking. Italy is one such countries, and Italian is maybe my favourite cuisine, but even then I've had many disappointing meals in Italy. 

• Like 3

Planning for This Southern European Vacation (in August)

Hello.  My name is Travel R and I am an over-planner.

I could easily fill multiple pages just discussing all the planning that went into this vacation. From the initial choosing of the cruise to our plans pre- and post- cruise to all of the scheduling and choosing of hotels and food venues to the creation of a (perfect) walking tour of Rome. Almost every aspect of our vacation was thoroughly researched and discussed in excess. [I will be posting the walking tour at some point in the future – after actually taking the path chosen, I have a few modifications to make before making it public.]

I want to publicly give a big, colossal THANK YOU to M&N for doing all the research and groundwork in finding places to dine and find sanctuary.  It took an unbelievably huge burden off my shoulders (this is also usually my responsibility as well) and they did stellar job. So good, in fact, that we will be asking them to do so again in the future.

Although it was a lot of work, planning was a enjoyable, and began to put us in a vacation state of mind months, and even years prior to the actual trip itself.

As noted, I am not going to dictate all of the planning that went into our adventure, but below are a few general notes and tips when planning an Italian getaway (or most vacations no matter where your paths they may lead you). Right now I am going to provide some tips for Rome, which was our first stop. I will provide tips for other places as they become more relevant.  In no particular order:

·       Hours of Operation: Be aware of the hours of all the sites you want to see and especially the days they are closed (both weekly and for holidays). For instance, we arrived in Rome on a Saturday and wanted to see the Vatican.  I knew that the Vatican and a number of churches are closed on Sundays (except the last Sunday of the month), so booked our trip to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast on the Sunday so there would be no conflicts. It also provided a few hours of “rest” (after the long evening of travel Friday evening) on the bus as well as allowing us to begin to get used to the time changes. Also remember to check the days of the sites you would like to visit when in port.

·       Jubilee: Note, however, when it comes to Rome specifically, although I knew that the Jubilee (a celebration that occurs every 25 year) would occur next year and the number of tourists (and pilgrims) would increase tenfold, I did not think about how it affected us in 2024.  In preparation for the Jubilee the Vatican and Rome many sites are being renovated, which meant that the Pieta was replaced by a fake (you would not know unless a know-it-all ruined it for you), Bernini’s Baldachin was boarded up, as were the fountains in Piazza Novanna. A few other sites were boarded or closed, but it did not really affect us. There is also ongoing construction everywhere due to the decades-long building of a subway and other projects. Some may want to visit in 2025 for obvious reasons, while others may wan to avoid Rome at all costs due to the crowds.  Note that although we saw crowds in the tourist areas, with “fast pass” skip the line tours we zipped right through to the sites. Even the Trevi fountain was crowded, but it only took us a few minutes to make our way to the front to take our requisite photos and throw our coins. [Also remember to take an unobstructed view from the second floor of the Benetton facing the fountain.]

·       History is Everywhere: Although there are some amazing must-se sites throughout Rome, the city is a literal open air history museum. There are many, many “lesser” sites that most people pass by without even realizing what they see.  There are over 900 churches in Rome proper and although not all have the historical and artistic status of St. Peters, some do include priceless pieces of art from many of the Masters or its architecture was designed by some of the masters.  There are multiple palaces with centuries of stories. There are over 300 fountains – many designed and sculpted by the Greats such as Bernini. There are multiple ruins, some built into the stonework of the modern building that you may pass by, but were major structures during the Roman Empire. [One aspect of my Walking Tour was to include all of these minor sites that one may see, but not really notice. Although some in my party may have thought I gave too much information, it was only an Nth of what I could have told.]

·       Colosseum and Vatican: The toughest part (for me) when planning a Roman vacation (and gave me stress) was procuring tickets for the Colosseum and to a lesser effect, the Vatican.  The process for getting tickets had changed during the past year and made getting tickets difficult.  There have been many cases reported where tour guides had cancelled tours withing a week of the tour leaving tourists high and dry with no recourse or the ability to purchase other tickets.

o   Vatican:  We first booked tickets for the Vatican with Breakfast. The Vatican cancelled the tour with breakfasts (they opened up a restaurant which you can see when visiting), but offered a replacement tour without breakfast, which we took.  At the time you could only purchase official tickets 60 days prior to the date you wanted to visit. It opens at 8 AM (Roman Time) and was usually sold out by 8:01. We had not heard about many tours being cancelled, so we took our chances with the third party tour (and it was fantastic; more details to follow in another post). Note that they changed the 60 day policy on August 1st, 2024 and tickets could be purchased months in advance.

o   Colosseum: The reports of tour groups cancelling had not slowed down, but had continued until the weeks leading up to our vacation.  We had signed up with a tour group for a nighttime tour of the Colosseum that included underground access.   In anticipation of being cancelled, I awoke at 2 AM my time (EST) to try to get official tickets which included the underground.  By 2:01 the first set were sold out.  I stayed up and logged in every 20-25 minutes to try and get tickets.  At the end of a very tiring day I finally hit the almost-jackpot. I was able to purchase general tickets (not the ones with underground access).  However, no matter what, we were going in (myself and DW had visited years before (and the underground was closed at the time), but our friends had never been to the Colosseum, so was excited that they will be able to see this amazing site). As expected, the tour group cancelled.  Then they emailed us that a general tour was available.  But with a week to go, they offered a tour that included the underground. Unfortunately it was not at night (a disappointment), but better than not seeing it at all. If you plan on going to the Colosseum you may want to try to get tickets from both the official site and the tours. For us, the extra 20 Euros to get both.

·       Getting Around: We got around by either by walking or cab. Sometimes found on the street or via the Uber app. Note that the official cab stops (white signs) were rarely seen.  We probably would have walked everywhere if it was not so hot and humid when we visited.  I divided up many of the major sites over the few days we were in town, so there was only two days where we came or exceeded 20,000 steps.  The Colosseum, Vatican (with Pantheon, Trevi, etc.), and Roman forum were all scheduled on separate days. Although it would be possible to see them all on the same day, it would have been way too much, especially in the heat we experienced (96 F; 36 C).  In addition, my health issues hampered my ability to walk at times, so a taxi was very welcomed. Also note that there was plenty of public transportation available but decided not to use it.

·       Travel Agent: I had never used a Travel Agent until quite recently.  I was busy with work when planning our Escape from COVID / 25th Anniversary celebration to Las Vegas. I didn’t have time to do any planning, so I asked TA to help out.  Not only did she come through, she also saved me money. It did not take much thought to use her again and once again she saved us money not only on the cruise, but also saved us money on hotels and excursions, while also booking and scheduling hotels and transfers, and dealing with any mishaps that occurred prior to and during the vacation.   I would highly recommend using a TA and I know I cannot post her name here, but if you PM me, I can send you her info.

·       Where to Stay: We stayed in the Monti area (as we had in the past). We stayed at a nice hotel (Hotel Barocco) and as far as accessibility to the major sites is concerned, it was perfect and would suggest this area (or nearby Trevi) to any visitor. There were plenty of shops, a pharmacy, and restaurants around our hotel (and a nearby train station and bus stop) that made it a great place to stay. Although I have read good things about the Trastevere area and its food-culture, but I think Monti this is more central to the places you want to visit.

·       Where and What to Visit: There is so much to see in this city that it cannot be done in a short stay. This was our second visit and we have not seen everything I want to see. Yes, we saw the major sites, but the city is more than that. To me, the iconic "Must See" sites are: Colosseum, Pantheon, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and the Vatican. If you have visited these six sites and taken your selfies to post to your friends (and followers), you can die happily. However, there are many, many other sites to see that are not on most people’s radar. While we visited and saw places such as Trajan’s Forum (and column), Jewish Ghetto and Jewish Museum, Largo di Torre Argentina, and host of other places, we did not visit many of the beautiful churches, Villa Borghese, Palatine Museums, Baths of Carcalla and many, many, many other places that are worthy of a visit and on our list of places to visit for our third time in Rome.  My biggest disappointment in visiting Rome (besides not seeing the real Pieta) was that there are about two dozen Caravaggio paintings in Rome and I did not see one of them. My DW and friends are not huge art enthusiasts, so I did not want to veer to much into the arts (except briefly in the Vatican). Maybe I can do so on our next trip to Rome (which will not be for a while) and possibly create a walking tour which takes you to the location for each of his paintings.

·       What to Wear: During the day there is (or may be) a lot of walking, so wear comfortable shoes or sneakers (my preference).  Because it was so hot we basically wore shorts and a T-shirt almost every day.  On days we were to visit churches and holy sites, I wore pants where I could zip off the lower part to convert them to shorts. My wife brought along a shawl that acted like a mini skirt, which was draped around her waist so that it covered her knees.  Hats are a must to protect the head and face from the sun. I wore a hat that resembles a fishing or gardening hat that has full brim.  Another must-have in the excessive heat is the neck fan. I thought my wife was crazy brining it along, but it was amazing. Not a piece of clothing but always have water or a water receptacle with you at all times.  There are fountains all over the place with cool potable water, so take advantage of it. Also, if the sun is strong, remember to bring sunscreen.

·       Hawkers: Beware of all the hawkers on the street selling various items (a lot, lot more since we last visited 12 years ago). DO NOT take anything they give (or throw) to you. If you take it in your hand, they will hound you until you purchase it. Do as my friend did, if they throw an item at you, just knock it away and keep walking.

·       Pick Pockets:  No, we were not pick pocketed, nor do I believe that we were targeted, although at one point a snap on my backpack was unlocked, but not sure if someone did it or it was my DW who had previously taken something out of the bag while we were walking. However, we were vigilant wherever we went, keeping extra cautious when in a crowd (and I would yell out loudly “watch your valuables”), keeping our bags in safe places no matter where we were, including tourist attractions and restaurants.

·       Aesthetics: Driving into and through the City of Rome is NOT like visiting a city like Paris with broad beautiful streets and buildings. It is not a beautiful city.  It is an urban metropolis, filled with graffiti-strewn apartment buildings.  Although the city may look dirty, especially to new visitors, there are wonderous diamonds to be found everywhere.

·       History: Please, please, please do yourself a favor and either do some research on Rome (or anywhere you may visit) or bring along a private tour guide you can drag everywhere (my friends decided on the later. This is especially true if you bring along your children Even spending 15 to 20 minutes watching a video on the city’s history would at least provide some context to all that you will see and even may make your visit more enjoyable. Instead of looking at an old broken column solely as just an old think lying in the ground you may be able to see the story that it trying to tell.

·       Passport: I don’t care what some stranger wrote on a thread somewhere on the Internet.  Italian law is clear – Non-EU citizens are required to have on their possession a copy of their original Federal ID at all times.  I know it is worrisome to carry such a valuable with you while strolling the streets of Rome, but if you take the proper precautions, you and your possessions will be okay. [Interestingly, the Daily Newsletter for our cruise ship specifically stated each day to take your passport when going ashore in every port except Istanbul, where they gave us a passport paper and told to leave our original passports locked in our stateroom safe.]

·       Crowds: I had mentioned this above, but although there were throngs of people, especially in the more touristy areas, it did not hinder us at all.  You have probably seen less crowded photos of some of the sites taken in the very early morning, but it would mean you need to wake up very early and get to those sites. Going off-season is also another way to avoid the crowds.

·       Money Exchange: For our 15 days in Europe we exchanged approximately $600 USD and used almost everything by the end of the trip. In Athens (our last stop) we had about 200 Euros remaining and tried to use them whenever possible to get rid of them. Most places in all the countries we visited take credit cards or you can tap your phone although there were only a few places where we could only use Euro cash (gondola ride, some private excursions, etc.). Also remember to have a few Euro coins on you (1 Euro and 50 cents pieces) for public bathrooms.

·       Airport Transport: I have been to Rome only twice, but both times I have taken a private car from the Airport to our hotel.  It’s quick, easy, but unfortunately a little more expensive than taking a taxi or public transportation. Our friends did hit a little snag, but more on that in a future thread.

·       Best Gelato: I found a place in Rome that had amazing gelato including an amazing pistachio that was sugar-free. It is located on a corner just behind Trajan’s Column. [Sorry, don’t remember the name of the place and it is not showing up on Google Maps.] They also make smoothies as well as have drinks and a few other items to eat.  I am not sure if it is “authentic” gelato or not, but it was very good.

·       Shopping: We did not do much shopping per se in Rome, except stopping into a few touristy t-shirt and trinket shops and booths around the city.

·       Language: Almost everyone spoke English. However, it is good form to learn a few words in Italian before you arrive. Even if you only know “hello,” “please” and “thank you” you will be taking a huge step of goodwill towards whomever you are speaking to.

·       Etc.: There are other little tips and hints I am sure I am missing, but this should be enough for now and will probably mention them in upcoming posts.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Next Up . . . . . . A Long Flight, Arrival in Rome, And the Iconic Colosseum

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2024 at 7:34 AM, Travel R said:

I do not remember the ship, nor what entertainment is aboard, and already know about the food, but those are not factors that matter most to us. 

Next Up . . . .  Planning and Packing

As someone who has had a transatlantic cruise (for this October) booked since the beginning of the year, I very much enjoying your review.  I agree, the ship isn’t the most important part of our trips…It is the people we are with and the experiences we find.

And since we are in Rome for 3.5 days before our cruise….Your tips were great!!

Edited by tcmagnum
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

As someone who has had a transatlantic cruise (for this October) booked since the beginning of the year, I very much enjoying your review.  I agree, the ship isn’t the most important part of our trips…It is the people we are with and the experiences we find.

Agreed!  Sharing this adventure with my DW and friends made the vacation all the more special.  I had also connected with a number of people via Facebook pre-cruise, so had a number of new friends to share the vacation with as well.

• Like 1

1. The Flight

When am I ever going to learn?  Once again, I worked a full day before embarking on a two week adventure into the embrace of the arms of Europe.  It was a Friday and I had been mostly packed since the prior Sunday. Most of the last-minute items were picked up by the previous day.  Although there was little to do for the trip itself, a day of R&R prior to the vacation would have done me good.

I tried to clear up all I could at work to allow a clear mind while away. As luck may have it I work from home, so the commute was of little consequence. I logged off a few minutes after 4, took a few minutes to close my eyes, then finished any small chores and tasks I had remaining for the trip, including making sandwiches for the plane ride. Although food was to be served in the sky many times it is not of sufficient size, of poor taste, or more often it contains cheese, of which I am allergic.

The journey began without much fanfare. Our daughter drove us to the departing Terminal at Newark for United Airlines and we crossed through customs, security, and passport control in a fairly quick amount of time.  We then discovered that our Global Entry card was of little use when exiting the country, but the process was very quick, so it made little difference.

In multiple international trips over the last few years there has always been at least one time change, if not multiple. The departure time for our flight had never fluctuated.  This turned out to be a bad omen, since our flight was ultimately delayed after boarding due to an sharp end on a passenger chair which they spent an almost an hour and a half to repair.

As my Facebooks friends for this itinerary can tell you, I can barely sleep on airplanes. This continued to be the case and maybe fell asleep for no longer than 30 minutes total during the entire nine-and-a-half-hour flight (not counting the 1.5 hours waiting for the seat to be fixed).  Although my DW and I both had aisle seats (across from each other) for the room, I found the chair uncomfortable. It did not recline very far (if at all) and the small woman next to me seemed to take up a space twice as large as her body.

Yes, there were multiple movies to view, but I was unable to concentrate on them as well. I viewed about 15 minutes of “If” before turning it off. Eventually I watched the “Dune” sequel (“Dune 2”). As a big fan of Asimov, I loved the book (and actually read the entire series, all of the original 6 of the Dune canon, plus a few other sequels written by his son) but I disliked the first movie and although the second movie was a little better, it (IMHO) fell flat in expressing what Asimov was trying to portray in the written works.  Visually, the movie was stunning, but the acting and screenplay were subpar. I then skipped back and forth in the different audio channels, at times trying to meditate to classical music, but completed the flight with something mindless . . . . “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” a movie I had watched a gazillion times, so did not need to view or listen very carefully to know what was going on.

Although I brought a Kindle along, for some reason the books I wanted to read were not downloaded and needed internet to read them. I guess I could have paid to use the airplane WiFi, but decided against it. I did not have the mind to figure out the issue, so just left it alone.

Good preparation can be the difference between a good, bad, and absolutely horrible flight. Before packing my carry on I make a smaller “carry on” in a zip-lock quart bag in which I put my headphones, gum, snacks, and any other items (e.g., book). I also purchased a large bottle of water in the terminal (since I am usually thirsty on these flights) and had my turkey sandwich ready to eat. As it turned out, the dinner and breakfast options only included cheese.  I had even told the stewardess I had a cheese allergy, and she still gave me a meal with cheese (at least I was able to eat the salad and roll).

I will also admit that it was an uncomfortable trip in general because of my health issues. I did take a bunch of Tylenol, wore a lidocaine patch, and got up to stretch multiple times during the trip (glad I was on an aisle seat so as not to disturb anyone).

It has been a very busy weekend (and week) and have not had a chance to download and sort through the photos I took with my camera, but here's another one taken from my cell phone in the meantime. Probably not on many people's list of things to see in Trieste, but after reading Ulysses last year and taking a similar photo with his statue in Dublin, I looked forward to taking this photo James Joyce (although would have preferred for something without the glare).

VivaJamesJoyce.jpeg

2. Arrival in Rome and Transfer

We arrived in Rome over an hour later than our scheduled time (12:15 vs. 10:55, another disappointment), but our private transfer was waiting for us. We received a “half price” transfer through our hotel (Hotel Barocco), but checking out pricing, it was only about 10 Euros cheaper than what most private transfers were charging (60 vs 70), but it was still a savings. Although more expensive than a taxi, I prefer this method of transfer, especially to begin a vacation in a foreign country.

Although I noticed that one of the wheels on my luggage was not working well, it completely busted while rolling it through the terminal to the private car. Another disappointment/inconvenience that was not desired, but with the help of the concierge at the hotel we were able to find a place to purchase a “cheap” replacement luggage since I was unable to fix it myself.

The drive in was not bad (about 35 minutes) and I had begun impressing my DW by pointing out historic landmarks we passed as soon as we had entered the city. To her I only pointed out the major sites, I was not sure if she was up to hearing many historic details after the long plane ride. It was hot and humid in the city, the AC in the car was not great and I was already hot and tired from lack of sleep when we arrived at the hotel.

Note that our friends took the same service and also had their own delays (they flew in from a different airport) and their driver charged them an additional 20 Euros as a waiting fee. Although it took two days of going back and forth to the front desk, it was cleared up and they took the 20 Euros off of their hotel bill.

3. The Hotel Barocco, The Colosseum ,and an Introduction to Rome

3a. Hotel Barocco

Location, location, location. Our friends did an excellent job at choosing the hotel, Hotel Barocco.  [4-Star hotel Rated 4.8/5] The rooms were tastefully decorated, were clean and stately, and most importantly were in an excellent location for touring Rome (and even in a good position when it was time to transfer the nearby train station for our departure). Price-wise it was only a little above the average price of Rome hotels, but included AC and all the amenities we desired. The rooms were not large (although the bathroom was a decent size), but myself and DW expected that from a European hotel, even one that calls itself “luxury.” There was a pharmacy across the street, restaurants all over the place, and even a convenience store nearby as well as a movie theater (that played English language movies) a few feet way.

To be honest, this was a nicer hotel than we usually stay at when not travelling internationally for business. When with our kids on European vacations we will stay at 3-star hotels to save money (as long as they have Air Conditioning).  We have never had an issue with any of them, but since we were only paying for only one room this trip for the two of us, we were okay with spending a little more $.  I know a number of people have used Air B&Bs. I think it is a great idea for large groups that want to stay together (I have done so in the US) but I am hesitant to book an Air B&B for Europe because if something goes wrong, it can go very wrong (and I am not talking about supplying sheets for the bedroom or wash clothes for the bathroom). My other concern regarding B&Bs is that we were arriving early and needed the hotel to store our bags while we explored, and that is not usually an option with B&Bs.

3b. Introduction to Italian and Roman History

One feature that was quite attractive to me was that it was on Piazza Barberini, which is highlighted by Bernini’s Triton Fountain.  Although I provided an actual Walking Tour of Rome on the coming Monday, I still provided historic narration throughout our entire stay, and it began as we entered the Piazza.   I spoke of the Italian Renaissance, and Bernini vs. Borromini and his uncle Maderno, the fountain, the Barberini family and its Papal legacy.   We were going to be immersed later in the evening with a more ancient Rome, so kept my introduction fairly brief and condensed to that timeframe.

We then began to walk towards the Colosseum.  I was still tired from the long travel so my directions were a little off as we began to walk and needed the use of Google Maps to get us back on our way. During the walk I pointed out a few sites and was asked about a few others.  We also found our first fountain and quickly filled our water pouches. The temperature that afternoon was 96 F (35/36 C) and very humid.

We were going on our first excursion of our adventure, an afternoon walk through the Colosseum with access to the Underground. It was booked through Get Your Guide.  We placed the directions to meeting spot in our Google Maps, but had a difficult time finding it.  We were to meet behind Caffé Roma, which shows up as being next to the Colosseum. For those trying to find it – it is on the hill overlooking the Colosseum. The usual stairs were under construction so we needed to walk the length of the block to go up the stairs and return the full length of the block, then the café is at the very end and the meeting place is literally behind it [also make sure you enter Via del Colosseo and not Piazza del Collosseo].  BTW – there is a bathroom at Caffe Roma and if you buy something or they see you are with the tour (if wearing the head set) you can use the bathrooms.

It was kind of annoying that after you waited there, they walked you down closer to the Colosseum (back down that long block) to wait yet again (in the heat) for the actual Tour Guide.

However, the extra time provided me with an opportunity to throw in a few facts about the Colosseum and Roman history. It also allowed us to talk to some of the other members of our group, many of which were from the US and also visiting Rome pre- and post-cruise.

3c. The Colosseum

Sometimes it is a curse knowing so much about these historical sites.  When these guides begin making mistakes, I automatically stop listening intently (and even if they are not making mistakes, they are usually only glossing over the facts and the thousands of things they are not saying are flowing through my head).   The guide, I guess, was okay if you had little knowledge of the Colosseum or Roman history – I did not enjoy her. Yes, I did provide updated commentary to my DW and friends (after the tour) that she had left out or stated incorrectly.

[Note about me and Tour Guides – I am the type of person that studies up on the places and sites that I am going to visit. Modestly, I can say I know a lot about the place even before I enter it.  This applies tenfold when in Rome, since I have been reading about, studying, and researching Ancient Rome for a number of years. Although many times I keep in the earpiece, it is just background noise while I look around and mentally take note of all the facts I know and try to put them to use in identifying and recalling the history the specific locations and artifacts. However, once a Tour Guide makes a major mistake about a substantive fact, I turn them off completely.  You never know what you are going to get and we have had excellent guides, and some that are not so good. I will never embarrass a Guide by correcting them in public, but have, at times, appended what they have said out loud.]

Although the Colosseum was amazing the first time we visited her, with 12 years of additional knowledge and data I was triply amazed, the second time around. This was our first time in the underground, and although I was excited to be there, it was not as life changing as I had hoped. Just being down there was of great excitement to me, and seeing the intact gladiator helmet was of great interest, but it was too short and did not provide full access to the underground, just the area cordoned for visitors. There was a film shown without much sound or direction, and although I understood all that was being shown, it would have been of more interest to others if the Guide had provided some commentary.

Suggestion: Although there are signs in Italian and English throughout the Colosseum, hopefully, if visiting on your own, you will have performed some prior research to understand what you are seeing or to enable you to explain what you are seeing to your fellow travelers. Hopefully you have a better Guide than us, but if not it may be of help to also do some research in order to get the full picture. Some of the topics I would suggest researching include:

·       Why the Colosseum was built and how it got its name

·       How the Colosseum was built (architecture), including the Underground, and seating (class structure)

·       Overall history of the Colosseum (from it’s beginning to its decline through modern times)

·       Different types of “games”: Animals, “Sea” Battles, Criminals, and Gladiators

·       Gladiators (different types, who they were, how they trained & fought

Tip: there is a water fountain in the Colosseum (2nd floor), but it the water not cool. I noticed that the waters flowing in from the aqueducts are cooler and better tasting. (this was not from an aqueduct) There is also a public bathroom in the Colosseum if needed.

I have already mentioned the issues with obtaining tickets, but I will provide a brief recount . . . . there are official tickets which you can purchase exactly 30 days prior to visiting. However, tickets are sold out very quickly and harder to get underground and attic access than the general entry tickets.  You can purchase tours through third parties, but as of this writing they are not always reliable and can cancel your tour even a few days prior to visiting.  [According to one post I read, the nighttime tours are now only given on Thursday nights, but I am not sure of the veracity of the source.]

The journey began without much fanfare. Our daughter drove us to the departing Terminal at Newark for United Airlines and we crossed through customs, security, and passport control in a fairly quick amount of time.  We then discovered that our Global Entry card was of little use when exiting the country, but the process was very quick, so it made little difference.

There is no passport control or customs when boarding a departing flight in  Newark unless you were connecting from a flight from overseas, you simply check in with your airline who checks your passport and then proceed to TSA.

Global Entry is as it name implies for Entry - not Exit.  You never need or use the actual card for air travel.  It would not have been of little use though, for if the number is entered into the reservation, it grants TSA pre-check for going through security.