World Cruise Center (San Pedro) Port to LAX shuttle

beijing

Does anyone know if there are hop on shuttles available at the San Pedro port that go to LAX.

In the past some of the disembarkation ports have vans etc waiting to take passengers to the airports.

Im just trying to find the simplest way to LAX. We have a 1030am flight

Thanks

On 9/5/2024 at 12:37 PM, beijing said:

Does anyone know if there are hop on shuttles available at the San Pedro port that go to LAX.

In the past some of the disembarkation ports have vans etc waiting to take passengers to the airports.

I believe most of the shuttles like SuperShuttle got wiped out during the pandemic and have not come back to San Pedro. 

Easiest and simplest is going to be Uber or Lyft direct to LAX. 1030 departure is quite a bit earlier than most recommend from LAX for a San Pedro arrival so you really need to be conscious of time-- even if a shared shuttle were available the amount of extra time it can take vs a private car wouldn't be worth it when you have this tight of a connection. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I believe most of the shuttles like SuperShuttle got wiped out during the pandemic and have not come back to San Pedro. 

Easiest and simplest is going to be Uber or Lyft direct to LAX. 1030 departure is quite a bit earlier than most recommend from LAX for a San Pedro arrival so you really need to be conscious of time-- even if a shared shuttle were available the amount of extra time it can take vs a private car wouldn't be worth it when you have this tight of a connection. 

Hi Princeton--

Can you tell me if a 10:35 flight out of Long Beach might be possible?  Three travelers, all with carry ons only, flying Southwest, all have TSA pre-check.  Next flight out is 2:30 and that seems like a long wait!

1 minute ago, DarF said:

Can you tell me if a 10:35 flight out of Long Beach might be possible?  Three travelers, all with carry ons only, flying Southwest, all have TSA pre-check.  Next flight out is 2:30 and that seems like a long wait!

It's possible but it's also a calculated risk. You're about a half hour door to door without any traffic and can be more depending on if its a weekday or weekend. If the ship is on time (assuming it's scheduled to arrive 6-7am), you're one of the first off the ship with self disembark, and can get into a car quickly you should be ok. 

But just realize that the 2:30 flight is what the cruise line thinks you should take and the 10:30 flight you are taking a risk if something goes sideways like the ship being late, taking extra time to clear immigration, substantial traffic, etc. 

32 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It's possible but it's also a calculated risk. You're about a half hour door to door without any traffic and can be more depending on if its a weekday or weekend. If the ship is on time (assuming it's scheduled to arrive 6-7am), you're one of the first off the ship with self disembark, and can get into a car quickly you should be ok. 

But just realize that the 2:30 flight is what the cruise line thinks you should take and the 10:30 flight you are taking a risk if something goes sideways like the ship being late, taking extra time to clear immigration, substantial traffic, etc. 

Okay...we will deliberate...thanks for the info.  🙂

Thanks

Our last trip out of San Pedro was last February on a Saturday. We did very early walkoff, called in an Uber (who coincidentally was there dropping off a passenger) and were at LAX by 8:30. Taxis were plentiful at that time. Note that it took us almost as long driving around LAX as it did to get to LAX from San Pedro. Traffic around that airport is horrendous.

2 hours ago, beijing said:

thanks lx200gps. i hope i didnt book to early of a flight.

its actually a 1045 departure. so thats a bit more time

Departure time is actually NOT the most important factor... it's BOARDING time that you need to make. Those doors will be closed before.

35 minutes ago, julia said:

Departure time is actually NOT the most important factor... it's BOARDING time that you need to make. Those doors will be closed before.

Agreed but that's usually 15 minutes before for most airlines. I think they can make it in this scenario, and maybe even with some time to spare, but just need to know that there are risks to it vs the later flight which would be easy. 

I have booked a 10:50 departure from LGB in a couple weeks.  I'll try to remember to check in with how it goes. 

A couple factors that led me to try this: 

1. My cruise is coming straight from Canada and immigration is done at boarding. This should limit that potential delay. 

2. We are only ship in port that day.

3. Flying Southwest - a bit more forgiving with changes

4. There are many later flights, including 2 direct flights that should be no problem

5. I upgraded to the "wanna get away plus" fare, which includes free same day changes with a confirmed seat.

6. I have global entry, which should hopefully get me through security faster.

13 hours ago, Need-a-vacation said:

I have booked a 10:50 departure from LGB in a couple weeks.  I'll try to remember to check in with how it goes. 

A couple factors that led me to try this: 

1. My cruise is coming straight from Canada and immigration is done at boarding. This should limit that potential delay. 

2. We are only ship in port that day.

3. Flying Southwest - a bit more forgiving with changes

4. There are many later flights, including 2 direct flights that should be no problem

5. I upgraded to the "wanna get away plus" fare, which includes free same day changes with a confirmed seat.

6. I have global entry, which should hopefully get me through security faster.

I wish we could use LGB for its size and convenient location, but, like the OP, we're from Canada and connecting into LGB always means at least one connection, it's too small for direct flights from Canada.

18 hours ago, beijing said:

thanks lx200gps. i hope i didnt book to early of a flight.

its actually a 1045 departure. so thats a bit more time

A 10:45 departure usually means boarding starts 10 - 10:15 so you should still be OK, especially if you are flying out on a weekend, have TSA Pre-Check, any airline priority status etc. Just make sure to disembark VERY early, try to be among the first off the ship, usually 7 - 7:30AM, that's vital. Most departing pax won't have arrived yet so the disembarkation area area outside would not be as congested. Taxis should be plentiful (they were last time we were there earlier this year), and worst case i would expect there to be plenty of Ubers nearby, just a few minutes away.. If you're flying home on Air Canada, that's Terminal 6 which is unfortunately nearly the last terminal along the one way loop around LAX. Look it up on Google Maps and make sure the taxi/Uber driver knows to use the short cut called "East Way" to shave quite a few important minutes off the trip around the airport

@lx200gps my apologies. I got different posts mixed up.  There was an earlier question about LGB.

I've only gone from San Pedro to LAX once before and that was forever ago. I don't remember much on details, I just remember it being a mess at LAX because they had evacuated the terminal earlier and were re-screening everyone. 🙄

30 minutes ago, Need-a-vacation said:

@lx200gps my apologies. I got different posts mixed up.  There was an earlier question about LGB.

I've only gone from San Pedro to LAX once before and that was forever ago. I don't remember much on details, I just remember it being a mess at LAX because they had evacuated the terminal earlier and were re-screening everyone. 🙄

No worries, LGB would be a great option if it were open to us, I wish we could use it. And FWIW, LAX is a hot mess at all times, not just when they are evacuating ;o)