New Zealand Increasing its International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy as of 01 October

According to a Fodor's article (https://www.fodors.com/news/news/new-zealand-is-tripling-the-tourist-tax) New Zealand will be increasing its tax on international visitors (IVL) by NZ$65 (U.S.$40) -- going from the current NZ$35 to NZ$100 (U.S.$22 per person to $62)--as of 01 October.  The tax is paid when a visitor applies for a NZ visa or Electronic Travel Authorization.  The latter is what U.S., Canadian, U.K., and other citizens need to obtain to visit.  The NZeTA is good for two years.

Since we are traveling to NZ next February, I started a NZeTA application (via the mobile app, which is also less expensive than online) to see if it would charge me the current IVL rate or the one in effect as of our visit.  It charged the current NZ$35.  If you are not planning on visiting NZ within the next two years except for an upcoming cruise, you might want to apply before the end of September before the tax increase.  Here's the website (or just search for NZeTA):  

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/preparing-a-visa-application/your-journey-to-new-zealand/before-you-travel-to-new-zealand/details-page/visa/nzeta

Quick warning--if you search for the NZeTA app, the first one that comes up (at least at the Apple app store) is for a commercial visa service.  Scroll down to ensure you are loading the official NZ Government app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Do both my wife and I need to download the app or can we both get our visas from one download?  Also, if Regent is supposed to provide all visas for Grand Voyages (I believe through 2026), how do you get them to pay for the NZ visa?

21 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Do both my wife and I need to download the app or can we both get our visas from one download?  Also, if Regent is supposed to provide all visas for Grand Voyages (I believe through 2026), how do you get them to pay for the NZ visa?

On your first question, one person can download the app and apply for more than one traveler.  You just need to have them physically with you when it comes time for the photograph needed of the applicant--hand them your phone for the selfie.

On the second, I have no idea.  Always do my visas (or in this case, an electronic travel authorization) myself.  (But have never done a Grand Voyage, so lucky you!)

23 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Also, if Regent is supposed to provide all visas for Grand Voyages (I believe through 2026), how do you get them to pay for the NZ visa?

They can’t pay for anything that goes through an app. We needed an Australia ETA for the 2023 WC and Regent provided OBC for that amount (which basically means you end up paying for it).

• Thanks 1

I found your post by surfing the Regent list of topics. I still had the NZeTA app on my phone from a previous Seabourn SYD-AKL cruise. I recently paid $65.07 for two. I have to call R and take 2 charges of $100 for visas off our invoices. I see we are also on your cruise from our prior posts. Good info to save $ for others.