Notes from Queen Anne to the Mediterranean

Host Hattie

Another few things to add: it seems they're now offering the behind the scenes tour, as it was advertised in Sunday's daily programme. I signed up with the tour office so hopefully hear back on if I'm able to join soon, as there are limited spaces. It's been advertised as $120.

Additionally they're hosting a solo travellers lunch on the 18th, which I've never seen before. Unsure if I'll be able to attend given it's at 12:00pm and the behind the scenes tour is at 13:30

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Good morning from Queen Anne, lots of things for us to ignore today. Mr HH has archery this afternoon and the sun is on the balcony.

Screenshot_20240917_090358_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_090425_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_090442_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_090540_Chrome~2.jpg

Thanks for sharing these, great to be able to see the opening times for venues. Been wonderful to follow along on your voyage 🙂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Good morning from Queen Anne, lots of things for us to ignore today. Mr HH has archery this afternoon and the sun is on the balcony.

Screenshot_20240917_090358_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_090425_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_090442_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_090540_Chrome~2.jpg

Cunard Street sounds intriguing and looks like a nod to the heritage many mentioned missing.

Thank you for your reports. We were originally booked on this cruise but cancelled to join our family elsewhere so enjoying very much sailing along with you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MylesS said:

Another few things to add: it seems they're now offering the behind the scenes tour, as it was advertised in Sunday's daily programme. I signed up with the tour office so hopefully hear back on if I'm able to join soon, as there are limited spaces. It's been advertised as $120.

Additionally they're hosting a solo travellers lunch on the 18th, which I've never seen before. Unsure if I'll be able to attend given it's at 12:00pm and the behind the scenes tour is at 13:30

$120 is very steep for a no-cost-to-Cunard excursion. I guess it's what they can get away with!

As a Carnival shareholder I approve, but...

Just now, buchanan101 said:

$120 is very steep for a no-cost-to-Cunard excursion. I guess it's what they can get away with!

I’ve just had the forms delivered in regards to the tour. Health questioner and a waiver.

It’s listed as being able to visit the following, however it may change given that nature of it all:

- back stage of the theatre

- one of the ship’s galleys

- mooring deck

- engine control room

- bridge 

It also included some bubbly, hopefully not Pol Aker.

I think there is a cost in that it’s guided and you’ll have the opportunity to talk to people working in these areas, whether they’re on duty or volunteering their free time I’m not sure. 

They seem to be very strict on photography, understandably so. We’ve been asked to leave our phones in our cabins or hand them in before the tour starts.

Really looking forward to it! 

• Like 5

Just now, MylesS said:

I’ve just had the forms delivered in regards to the tour. Health questioner and a waiver.

It’s listed as being able to visit the following, however it may change given that nature of it all:

- back stage of the theatre

- one of the ship’s galleys

- mooring deck

- engine control room

- bridge 

It also included some bubbly, hopefully not Pol Aker.

I think there is a cost in that it’s guided and you’ll have the opportunity to talk to people working in these areas, whether they’re on duty or volunteering their free time I’m not sure. 

They seem to be very strict on photography, understandably so. We’ve been asked to leave our phones in our cabins or hand them in before the tour starts.

Really looking forward to it! 

I'd like to do it, and I doubt the OH would... next cruises are QE and QM2 so assume they do something similar...

I guess I could say that's my shareholder OBC being given back

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

It's also to restrict numbers, Mr HH did it on Queen Elizabeth a few years ago. I thought he'd got lost he was gone so long !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On QV they said it was likely to be 3.5 - 4 hours long, so they didn't sound like they were going to be whizzing people through. 

I luckily got to see the galleys on the QE2 for free, being a Hotel and Catering student at the time (the assistant Maitre d' took me in for a nosey around mid morning). I'd like to see things again, so will probably sign up to it one of these days. 

3 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

I'd like to do it, and I doubt the OH would... next cruises are QE and QM2 so assume they do something similar...

I guess I could say that's my shareholder OBC being given back

I know the do on Queen Mary 2, at least the used to.

My stock has been giving me returns recently so I’ll happily use that to fund it 😆

25 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Cunard Street sounds intriguing and looks like a nod to the heritage many mentioned missing.

I've seen it before but I might go after lunch as we're at the not bothering with breakfast stage of the cruise. 

As long as there are proper chairs available not the extras they bring out when it's busy. I hope they've got some better ones on order.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, King Amo said:

On QV they said it was likely to be 3.5 - 4 hours long, so they didn't sound like they were going to be whizzing people through. 

This one is scheduled to take at least 3 hours, starting at 1:30pm.

I think part of the time is due to having to carefully navigate around areas, steep stairs, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, MylesS said:

Glad I’m not the only one 😅

I know people must think we're missing out on all the things going on and staying on the ship in Barcelona and Civitavecchia but honestly I've had such a nightmare year that reading a book and watching the waves is enough. 

20240917_100516.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

I know people must think we're missing out on all the things going on and staying on the ship in Barcelona and Civitavecchia but honestly I've had such a nightmare year that reading a book and watching the waves is enough. 

20240917_100516.jpg

I don’t plan to get off at any port, I didn’t yesterday and I won’t in Lisbon either. 

People can spend their holiday how they like, it’s their holiday. 

Hopefully your holiday is going well to make up for the year, and here’s to hoping what’s left of it will improve! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

It’s been that price for ages. And you get a lot for your money. It does cost Cunard in terms of the time of the person who shows you round, the many officers, head chef, ent director, doctor, etc, etc that you meet and the various freebies you are given. Well worthwhile.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, King Amo said:

I luckily got to see the galleys on the QE2 for free, being a Hotel and Catering student at the time (the assistant Maitre d' took me in for a nosey around mid morning). I'd like to see things again, so will probably sign up to it one of these days. 

Very interesting and well worth it.

41 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

It's worth every penny (if this sort of thing interests you). They are taking people away from their jobs (including senior personnel; although most were quick to point out that they were the least important people in their area). There's also two staff members - one to lead and a second as a "sweep" at the back. Given all the time from crew members, it's possible Cunard is actually losing money on this.

@MylesS you will love this. We especially loved the mooring deck.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

20240917_100516.jpg

I can imagine you have. But even without that, reading a book and watching the waves are what I mainly do. I look at the offerings, think ‘That's nice’, and then think, ‘but not as nice as watching the sea’.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I don’t plan to get off at any port, I didn’t yesterday and I won’t in Lisbon either. 

People can spend their holiday how they like, it’s their holiday. 

Hopefully your holiday is going well to make up for the year, and here’s to hoping what’s left of it will improve! 

Can't see the point in getting off at Civitavecchia for Rome; if I want to do Rome again it needs a long weekend. Though Lisbon docking is so handy and things to do even on a short visit (on holiday there last year saw a HA Pinnacle coming in at 1pm... it was only there for about 5 hours. Almost pointless)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

If anyone goes to the Cunard Street performance listen out for the number of "Commodore Cocktails" mentioned.

I saw it on the Maiden Voyage and they said there were six cocktails named after Cunard Commodores. I was talking to them after the show and said that I thought there were seven. They laughed and said, "Yes that's what the scrips says, but we've been to the Commodore Club to check, and on Queen Anne there's only six." As you can imagine I went straight to the Commodore Club to confirm and they were right!!! I was very impressed with that dedication to accuracy.

That was in May. A few weeks ago when we were back onboard the Commodore Club had new menus with seven Commodore cocktails. I waited all cruise but Cunard Street was performed so I didn't get to find out if they had kept it up to date.

• Like 4