Always worth a reminder…

Flatbush Flyer

As we all know, CC regularly sends out brief articles on all sorts of cruise topics. One this morning 
https://www.cruisecritic.com/infotorial/2024/medjet-sept-2024-us/?lid=chn1r22i5rgx&crm_source=58226&crm_pos=us&crm_cid=20ab05cc-6f90-49d9-bfe3-1eac77635a5a&crm_rid=Cta8eIgBVQ1LqmSH3PoV&crm_cname=09.08.24 US Weekender - Other- 8 Things in You Must Have in Your Cruise Carry-On Bag

discusses MedJet “medical evacuation” insurance. If you take the time to read this, you should quickly understand what I have often posted here on CC regarding what are MedJet and the term MedEvac. They are NOT “field rescues” (the Coast Guard helicopter that collects shipborne patients) which is what so many folks think is super costly. The reality is that, other than very rare instances (e.g., where governmental rescue assistance is unavailable), there is most often no charge to the patient for this service. It is a budgeted item in that ocean region’s Coast Guard’s operational expenses.

Here’s the telling quote from the above CC article. Note that MedJet insurance is for necessary air transportation AFTER you’ve reached aid/initial treatment on land:

Once you reach the nearest appropriate shoreside hospital and have been stabilized, you may require continued inpatient hospitalization. This is where Medjet would come in. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Not sure I understand your point. If you are stuck in a hospital in South Africa or Brisbane, for example, a medically necessary medical transfer/evacuation to a hospital near home in the U.S. still is an expensive cost for which one would need insurance coverage in the $100,000 or more range. Ten years ago Medjet took care of moving my wife in a private medical jet from a hospital in New York to a Washington DC hospital for which the cost would have been $20,000, even for that short inside the country distance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Note that MedJet insurance is for necessary air transportation AFTER you’ve reached aid/initial treatment on land:

True, but note also that MedJet is not insurance.  It is membership in an organization that provides emergency evacuation service.  Medical service up to that point is the responsibility of the sick or injured person who, therefore, needs travel medical insurance; a separate entity.

I've also noticed that the language on medical evacuation in travel insurance policies usually states that evacuation only covers a return to your home city/country IF the care you need is not available where you are. As I understand this, but not being an expert, that means if I am an American who becomes ill in, for example, London, and the care there is equal to the care I would receive at home, I'm not entitled to medical transport home. If that's true, I would need coverage for medical expenses in that country if my own medical policy does not cover or has limits on medical expenses abroad. Because of that, I have started purchasing additional medical expense coverage because this is usually far less than the medical transport coverage that's quoted in the policies. Typically, a policy may provide $250,000 or more for medical transport but only $25,000 in medical expenses. But if you aren't eligible under the terms for transport and have to be in a foreign hospital for perhaps weeks, your medical expense coverage will likely be inadequate. If anyone knows more about this and can correct me if I'm wrong, please do. 

2 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

True, but note also that MedJet is not insurance.  It is membership in an organization that provides emergency evacuation service.  Medical service up to that point is the responsibility of the sick or injured person who, therefore, needs travel medical insurance; a separate entity.

Yes - sorry i used the misnomer “insurance.”

Nonetheless, I urge MedJet users to checkout Emergency Assistance Plus, particularly if you are in the mid-70s/older age range. Far better pricing with even more provided.

1 hour ago, S4POPO said:

Why is this posted under Oceania Cruises?  I would think it belongs under one of the general boards (not sure if mods can move it).

It’s posted under Oceania cruise lines since there was a recent thread about a field rescue on Nautica. Good time to remind my fellow O regulars about the erroneous beliefs regarding MedEvac.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Annual Travel Insurance policies have a maximum annual limit. It may not be enough for several cruises as well as other travel. Am I missing something?

No, you are quite correct. Even Allianz’ top annual policy’s aggregated claim limit is barely enough to pay for one O cruise of several weeks duration.

17 hours ago, edgee said:

Not sure I understand your point. If you are stuck in a hospital in South Africa or Brisbane, for example, a medically necessary medical transfer/evacuation to a hospital near home in the U.S. still is an expensive cost for which one would need insurance coverage in the $100,000 or more range. Ten years ago Medjet took care of moving my wife in a private medical jet from a hospital in New York to a Washington DC hospital for which the cost would have been $20,000, even for that short inside the country distance.

The point is that the combined cost of a MedEvac membership (like Emergency Assistance Plus) and a basic (lower cost) comprehensive travel insurance policy that meets the medical and trip insurance needs for your insurance profile, can cost significantly less than a higher end comprehensive policy with a high MedEvac limit.
Always do the math.😳 

48 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Annual Travel Insurance policies have a maximum annual limit. It may not be enough for several cruises as well as other travel. Am I missing something?

It's a bit of a roulette wheel.  If you think you have to claim the full amount on all cruises, yes, it's insufficient.  But if you think that if you have to cancel a cruise within the penalty period, then unless the trips are very close together, you have time to cancel the others with minimum penalty. That's the risk factor involved.

And usually, unless you are a big time spender, between the maximum Allianz allowance and credit card coverage (depending on which credit card)  any single trip can be mostly covered if not fully covered.

On the other hand with cruise prices rising, the rule may become nearly covered.

But to us, the real important part is the medical/evacuation/repatriation coverage, and for Allianz, the maximum coverage is per trip, not per year.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

It's a bit of a roulette wheel.  If you think you have to claim the full amount on all cruises, yes, it's insufficient.  But if you think that if you have to cancel a cruise within the penalty period, then unless the trips are very close together, you have time to cancel the others with minimum penalty. That's the risk factor involved.

And usually, unless you are a big time spender, between the maximum Allianz allowance and credit card coverage (depending on which credit card)  any single trip can be mostly covered if not fully covered.

On the other hand with cruise prices rising, the rule may become nearly covered.

But to us, the real important part is the medical/evacuation/repatriation coverage, and for Allianz, the maximum coverage is per trip, not per year.

Thank you. 

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The point is that the combined cost of a MedEvac membership (like Emergency Assistance Plus) and a basic (lower cost) comprehensive travel insurance policy that meets the medical and trip insurance needs for your insurance profile, can cost significantly less than a higher end comprehensive policy with a high MedEvac limit.
Always do the math.😳 

Understand your point. I believe there is still a risk of need for evacuation from a ship (which is of course is not a hospital) that would not be covered by Medjet and would not be covered by a local military rescue team because ship is docked. Perhaps a belt and suspenders approach, but I always purchase coverage with high level of med evacuation coverage. Also, it is relatively cheap if purchased with low coverage limits on the cruise cost so pretty much self insure the trip cost...I can handle, but fully insure the cost of an expensive evacuation...a cost which I am not able to handle.

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

But if you think that if you have to cancel a cruise within the penalty period, then unless the trips are very close together, you have time to cancel the others with minimum penalty.

@SATaxman  I should have added "or buy addition insurance (without the pre-existing condition waiver) if final payment has not been made.

It is becoming more difficult to use this strategy since cruise lines are extending the final payment date out further.

3 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

@SATaxman  I should have added "or buy addition insurance (without the pre-existing condition waiver) if final payment has not been made.

It is becoming more difficult to use this strategy since cruise lines are extending the final payment date out further.

Not planning on canceling. Just questioning a nual policy vs policy for each h cruise.

• Like 1