Eurodam - Noise on deck 8 from Lido deck pool

DougnSam

We are booked on the Eurodam for Alaska next May. When we booked, our travel agent suggested deck 8 towards the rear to avoid the elevator noise and the avoid the risk of noisy upstairs neighbors. We booked a verandah room 8136 (VF). We just watched a YouTube video that said to avoid any rooms under the Lido deck, especially balconies. They said that you would hear noise from the pool all day, as early as 5:00am when the crew start setting up deck chairs. I've seen other reviews of cabins on deck 8 and a lot of people talk about the noise from the buffet floor (carts moving around, mostly), but we are directly under the pool.

It looks like it would be about $120 more for the two of us ($60 each) to rebook to a VE room on Deck 7. We can't really afford better than that. Will there be a big difference?

I don't remember which ship, but we were on deck 8 under the area by the pool that is covered and has tables underneath, right out the sliding doors in the back of the ship.  We heard deck chairs moving early in the morning.  Did it ruin our cruise, no.  Now we go for deck 7.  Enjoy your cruise whatever deck you choose.  🙂

• Like 1

@DougnSamI prefer deck 8 aft cabins for the proximity to the Lido deck.  It will be easy for you to go up and view the scenery from the starboard side and the aft.  Your room is under tables that are frequently used by people who prefer to eat outside or would like to have a seat and enjoy their New York pizza.   This is not an area where deck chairs are set up in the morning or collected at night.  It is not an area where carts are rolled through to set up the buffet.  If you are worried, go for deck 7 but I would keep deck 8.  (I was once on deck 5 and I believe the person in the cabin above me did calisthenics every morning when the got up at 6.  I awoke to 30 minutes of rhythmic jumping.  There are no guarantees for a quiet cabin.)

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I agree that if there is a person above you, it is a risk that they will be noisy, and moving one level down won't totally eliminate the ambient noise from the pool/observation area. We'll talk more to our travel agent and discuss moving rooms.

May in Alaska is still cold enough that there won't be a lot of people using the aft pool.  We were under that part of the Lido on Princess and even in early June we rarely noticed any noise from above.  In all honesty I'd book under there again over the Lido pool area.

• Like 1

We just checked with HAL and there aren't any available rooms on deck 7 anyway. We would have to upgrade to a much nicer room in order to move at all at this point. I guess we will stick with deck 8 and hope for the best!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DougnSam said:

We are booked on the Eurodam for Alaska next May. When we booked, our travel agent suggested deck 8 towards the rear to avoid the elevator noise and the avoid the risk of noisy upstairs neighbors. We booked a verandah room 8136 (VF). We just watched a YouTube video that said to avoid any rooms under the Lido deck, especially balconies. They said that you would hear noise from the pool all day, as early as 5:00am when the crew start setting up deck chairs. I've seen other reviews of cabins on deck 8 and a lot of people talk about the noise from the buffet floor (carts moving around, mostly), but we are directly under the pool.

It looks like it would be about $120 more for the two of us ($60 each) to rebook to a VE room on Deck 7. We can't really afford better than that. Will there be a big difference?

I would definitely rebook to a lower deck.  

8 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

I would definitely rebook to a lower deck.  

They are all sold out, unless we do a very pricy upgrade, so that won't be happening. We will enjoy the trip even if we are woken up earlier than we would like.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DougnSam said:

We just checked with HAL and there aren't any available rooms on deck 7 anyway. We would have to upgrade to a much nicer room in order to move at all at this point. I guess we will stick with deck 8 and hope for the best!

I think you'll be completely fine, the weather as I mentioned above will keep most indoors. 

I also looked at the deck plan and 8136 is somewhat under the smoking area, but barely, it appears it falls slightly away from the covered area where the smokers will be huddled because in Alaska it's raining/misting a lot.  

The only exception will be glacier viewing days, but you'll probably be up on deck with everybody else or out on your balcony.  

• Like 1