November 5th Tropical Shores Caribbean

amcwaterfalls

Got the usual email this morning about this cruise and was interested to see if cabins were now selling as they haven’t been recently. I was surprised to see the heading ‘Last few Cabins’ and wondered how they had sold so quickly. Curiosity made me go further as well, so (sadly) I decided to count all the vacant twin cabins which totalled 138. So likely with the two other grades added this will make it over 150. Makes you wonder what ‘Sold out’ means.

I am now bracing myself as I went so far getting the email tomorrow saying I am one click away from booking. However much I would like to help out I don’t really want to book another cabin!!!

• Like 1

Haven't seen guarantees for deluxe before.  However they are dearer than cheapest E deck at launch, (only 1 E deck and 3 D deck unassigned)  same price just about as C deck at launch, odds are then that guarantee deluxe will luck out.  

Just waiting to  see if Suites go on guarantee, given that all Midship Suites are very close together,  absolutely no benefit in choosing own cabin, but they will use this rule to dodge price promise.

Not that I'm miserable  but I'm pretty sure the remaining 12 Mid ship Suites will be full of upgrades. Deluxe bumped up to makeroom for guarantees 

My money is on despite the 150 unassigned ,that the  ship will be FULL.

There are few Saga cruises , ie the most popular,  eg Christmas,  New Year cruises where booking in advance is definitely the best price. 

The guarantee cabins on offer at £11,330 p.p. are indeed deluxe guarantees.  No standard guarantees currently on offer.   Checked a few hours ago - there are approx. 138 standard cabins still available to choose, 15 deluxe and 14 midship suites.   There were approx. 170 standard cabins available when we checked 5 weeks ago.  

There are at this moment guarantee standard cabins available.

Skip to navigationSkip to content

Saga Logo
  • 1Your Holiday
  • 2Passenger Details
  • 3Payment
  • 4Done

Tropical Shores of the Caribbean

Island of Montseratt. Aerial view of the Soufrière Hills volcanoKingstown, capital of St Vincent and the Grenadines

Tropical Shores of the Caribbean

Spirit of Discovery departing Portsmouth

View Itinerary

Our price includes

Return UK Travel service

Travel insurance

All Inclusive

Full list of inclusions 

Speak to a Cruise Expert

Phone free on

0808 258 0608

Availability for 2 guests cruising aboard Saga Spirit of Discovery, leaving on Tuesday 05 November 2024 for 30 nights, departing from Portsmouth.

Guests
                                     1                                     2                                 

Choose a cabin category

View deck plans
Select your cabin
From £7,211 per person.
Unassigned Cabin Guarantee
From £5,996 per person - your cabin will be selected for you.

Booking an Unassigned Cabin Guarantee can offer additional savings if you do not have a preference for a particular cabin number.

You are guaranteed the minimum category of cabin for the advertised Cabin Guarantee you select, but your specific cabin will be allocated when you arrive at the ship. Your cabin could be located anywhere on the ship. Cabin layout and facilities (e.g. twin or double beds, bath or shower etc.) cannot be requested or guaranteed. Your cabin may be affected by vibration and mechanical noises. Views from your cabin and balcony may be restricted.

There is a chance you may be upgraded, although this is subject to cabin availability and in no way forms part of this offer.

If you choose not to accept your allocated cabin, this will be treated as a cancellation by you and charges will apply (please see our booking conditions).

Standard Twin Cabin Guarantee

You are guaranteed a minimum category Standard Twin cabin.

I confirm that I agree with the above conditions.

£5,996 per person

Twin Deluxe Cabin Guarantee

You are guaranteed a minimum category Twin Deluxe cabin.

I confirm that I agree with the above conditions.

£11,330 per person

Book Now

Signifier
ATOL ABTA
© Saga 2024

checkout.aspx?packagecode=SD148&productid=bb7523d7-8e7f-4dbb-9a64-8ba1ab1a2e2b&brand=Ocean%20Cruise&ship=Spirit%20of%20Discovery

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Haven't seen guarantees for deluxe before.  However they are dearer than cheapest E deck at launch, (only 1 E deck and 3 D deck unassigned)  same price just about as C deck at launch, odds are then that guarantee deluxe will luck out.  

Just waiting to  see if Suites go on guarantee, given that all Midship Suites are very close together,  absolutely no benefit in choosing own cabin, but they will use this rule to dodge price promise.

Not that I'm miserable  but I'm pretty sure the remaining 12 Mid ship Suites will be full of upgrades. Deluxe bumped up to makeroom for guarantees 

My money is on despite the 150 unassigned ,that the  ship will be FULL.

There are few Saga cruises , ie the most popular,  eg Christmas,  New Year cruises where booking in advance is definitely the best price. 

There have been unspecified deluxe on offer in previous cruises 

Pricing  seems all over the place. 

Standard guarantees are real bargains,

Deluxe guarantees cabins are not much of a bargain  dearer than some launch prices. 

Suites on this cruise are still basically expensive, at £16.5k+ pp, considering so many empty suites to sell.

I think generally Saga Suites are expensive cf rivals , much dearer than Cunard QG even taking into account  Saga extras, and similar price to deluxe size cabins on more luxurious lines  such as Seabourn. This will be our last Saga cruise, definitely looking at smaller more luxurious ships for not much more cost. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Pricing  seems all over the place. 

Standard guarantees are real bargains,

Deluxe guarantees cabins are not much of a bargain  dearer than some launch prices. 

Suites on this cruise are still basically expensive, at £16.5k+ pp, considering so many empty suites to sell.

I think generally Saga Suites are expensive cf rivals , much dearer than Cunard QG even taking into account  Saga extras, and similar price to deluxe size cabins on more luxurious lines  such as Seabourn. This will be our last Saga cruise, definitely looking at smaller more luxurious ships for not much more cost. 

One of the main attractions for us is the no-fly and door to door transport- especially as we are within 75 miles of Portsmouth.  
However, I do agree that it is difficult to justify the prices of the suites, especially on a longer cruise.

So we booked a standard guarantee on Canada & USA to test out the standard cabin, having booked mid and aft suites previously.  Our allocation is aft B deck which is fine (have stocked up on Sturgeron just in case).  The size of Saga standard cabins seems comparable with premium cabins on other ships so if this works for us it seems like a good option. (although we already have 2 deluxe cabins booked at pre-reg for next year).

52 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

They are upgrading,  on the phone now to be downgraded back to our midships suite from Aft suite . Chose orginal one dead center , so getting moved back, my wife feels every movement. Only just noticed as email ended up in junk

The aft suites are easier to move around. I also suffer from movement sickness but was fine with A546 which is not right at the back. I also dose up on Sturgeron to be on the safe side

On 9/24/2024 at 8:04 PM, amcwaterfalls said:

Windsurfboy, I hope you managed to change back to your original cabin. Have you picked up todays email showing the changed itinerary or is that also hiding in your junk mail?

I gather from postings on this thread that passengers on the SOD “Tropical Shores of the Caribbean” cruise  have been advised of a change in their itinerary. Was this a significant change?   I ask because today was the day that details of the shore excursions on the SOA “Festive Celebrations in  the Caribbean” cruise  in December were due to be released but the release date has now been put back to 8th October. I wonder if the two events might be linked and that an itinerary  change for the SOA Christmas cruise might be on the cards.

Was Madeira.          Now Madeira 

Barbados.                Antigua

St Vincent.               Montserrat

Grenada.                 St Vincent

Bequia.                    Bequia               

St Lucia.                  Grenada

Montserrat.              Barbados 

Antigua.                   St Lucia

Tenerife                    Tenerife 

So yes, a pretty significant change. We hadn’t booked any private excursions so not a problem for us but may be for anyone who had.

1 hour ago, Clarecruisers said:

I gather from postings on this thread that passengers on the SOD “Tropical Shores of the Caribbean” cruise  have been advised of a change in their itinerary. Was this a significant change?   I ask because today was the day that details of the shore excursions on the SOA “Festive Celebrations in  the Caribbean” cruise  in December were due to be released but the release date has now been put back to 8th October. I wonder if the two events might be linked and that an itinerary  change for the SOA Christmas cruise might be on the cards.

I noticed the shore excursions due today have been moved. Now I have to get excited all over again 😆

• Haha 1

Luckily most Caribbean islands have  fixed prices for taxis (normally a toyota small mini bus).  About $120 for a half day. We just go to official taxi stand , as advised in port talk. Say where we want to go or take their advice, fix a price,  and go. Sometimes on our own , sometimes bump into other Saga cruisers at stand and join up. Far better and no dearer than Saga excursions. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

FYI - Seen elsewhere:-

Enquiry with Saga regarding guest speakers, crafters, and entertainment for the November 5th "Tropical Shores Of The Caribbean" cruise on SOD and they have kindly replied with the following list:

Mr Motivator & Motivators
Phil Vickery
BBC Studios – Dr Sian Williams
Ian Burrell          Rum Expert

Phil Hitchcock                Special Act
Masterpiece                     Temptations Tribute
Totally Tina                       Tina Tuner Tribute
Roy G Hemmings           Soul Singer
Straight Circles               Band
Samuel Moore                Spanish Guitarist
Declan Zapala                Folk Guitarist
The Opera Boys              Opera Group
John & Paul                      Beatles Duo
Graham Hamilton          Destination Speaker
Ashley Kitchiner             Marine Biology
Michael White                 Actor/Travel
Dr Peter Dean                  Forensic
John Mclean                     Astronomy
Gary Richardson             Radio/Producer
Margret Gilmore             Security
Bernard Purrier               Photography
John Hutchinson            Pilot
Paul  Brooks                     Gardening
Ian Ferguson     Bridge Instructor
Ben & Ella          Dance instruction
Linda Mills         Craft Instructor
Craig Mitchell   Ukele Instructor
Patricia Clark   Art Instructor 

Of course, the above list comes with the usual caveat that it is subject to change.