Need help choosing between 2 itineraries of different ports in Spain

mleng

Hi, we are trying to choose between 2 Transatlantic itineraries (for Oct 2025 and both are 13 nights) and would appreciate your input.

#1: Barcelona, Spain - Palma De Mallorca, Spain - Alicante, Spain - Cartagena, Spain - Malaga, Spain - Fort Lauderdale

#2: Lisbon, Portugal - Seville (cadiz), Spain - Lanzarote, Canary Islands - Gran Canaria, Canary Islands - Tenerife, Canary Islands - Orlando (port Canaveral)

My wife and I are in our early 50s and are in good shape. At the ports, we are most likely looking for excursions (self-guided or with paid guides) of hiking and walking and other nature-related activities. We are not into shopping or wine/liquor.  We are not foodies either.

They are on different RCCL ships and with different prices, but for the ease of comparison, I am going to ignore those factors and only consider the port of calls. 

I started reading about these ports on the forum, but after 3 hours I realize that I would need a lot more time.  I want to book the trip soon in order to capitalize on a good promotion, so I am hoping to get inputs from people who have been to those ports.  Thank you in advance!

Another related question: we will probably fly into the embarkation city 2 or 3 days ahead of time, to adjust for the jet lag and to do some sightseeing.  Between Lisbon and Barcelona, which is more "enjoyable", and which is easier to get around logistically?  

16 minutes ago, mleng said:

Another related question: we will probably fly into the embarkation city 2 or 3 days ahead of time, to adjust for the jet lag and to do some sightseeing.  Between Lisbon and Barcelona, which is more "enjoyable", and which is easier to get around logistically?  

You could essentially toss a coin. They are both great cities and both are easy to get around. Lisbon Airport is right in the city and Barcelona Airport is very close to the city. I would expect Lisbon to be the cheaper of the two in terms of accommodation and meals, if that matters.

You really can't go wrong with either so maybe pick the one that you can get to more easily and/or more cheaply? For Lisbon, TAP Air Portugal have loads of non-stop flights from the NY area (Newark and JFK) and their prices are typically very competitive. They are Star Alliance, like United, if miles are relevant.

@FionaMG  Your mentioning of Star Alliance may have just tipped the scale, as I do have status on United.  Also, my wife and I have visited Azores a few times and really enjoyed it.  I have picked up a little bit of Portuguese along the way, too.  (Not enough to converse, but it helps a little when looking at signs and menus.)  It seems #2 is the front runner now.  Obrigado!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mleng said:

I have not been in either city recently but Barcelona does seem to have a recent reputation of being very overcrowded.  I don't have any feeling about how crowded Lisbon has been recently and whether the fact that you will be there in Oct makes any difference.

Don

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

You could essentially toss a coin. They are both great cities and both are easy to get around. Lisbon Airport is right in the city and Barcelona Airport is very close to the city. I would expect Lisbon to be the cheaper of the two in terms of accommodation and meals, if that matters.

You really can't go wrong with either so maybe pick the one that you can get to more easily and/or more cheaply? For Lisbon, TAP Air Portugal have loads of non-stop flights from the NY area (Newark and JFK) and their prices are typically very competitive. They are Star Alliance, like United, if miles are relevant.

I would echo all you said.

We have been to both Lisbon and Barcelona in the past 6 months (from California).

Both cities seemed great to us.  I'd personally give a slight edge to LIS, only because it was a bit less expensive (not much), seemed familiarly like San Francisco, people seemed a bit more friendly. slightly less hustle bustle than BCN.   Also for us we can fly NonStop TAP Portugal SFO-LIS - their Biz Class Service is excellent!  and yes we get United Miles for it.   In fairness when we went to BCN it was an easy TAP connection in Lisbon and flight to BCN.

Both had good transportation options.  Both known for excellent food and drink.

If your sailaway is not at night, Lisbon is indeed a beautiful place to sail from!  Barcelona you just exit to the ocean.

I'd still do the itinerary that does Canary Islands - you get two of them!

• Like 1

Nothing really to choose between the two, IMO.  But, if forced to choose, I'd probably go for #1. 

That's because (a) we visit Tenerife each year for three weeks so not much appeal of a day in port and (b) whilst we also visit Mallorca regularly, we stay in the north of the island and it's a while since we've had a day in  Palma.