Lost Knee Scooter - BIG fail for MSC

wiseguy

I recently cruised on the MSC Meraviglia and disembarked in Brooklyn, NY on August 25, 2024. I have to use a knee scooter to get around. I rented an electric scooter just for the cruise and it was going to be picked up from the port as soon as we disembarked. So the knee scooter was needed to get to the airport and when we arrived back home.

I put the knee scooter and my baggage by the room door as were were instructed. We had priority disembarkation so we were collecting our things about 6:45 am, we were in group one. We found our bags, but no scooter. We looked thru hundreds of bags searching for the scooter for over one hour. We spoke to the luggage area manager R. Polanco. He radioed the ship, the ship said there were no knee scooters still onboard that hadn't been brought out yet.

I told Mr. Polanco that if we look any longer we were going to miss our flight, and asked what the next step was.  He said I needed to fill out a Missing Luggage Form and we did that at the port. We left the port without my much needed knee scooter so we wouldn't miss our flight home.

When we arrived at the airport, I received a call from Mr. Polanco saying they had found my scooter! Unfortunately, being at the airport already checked in and the flight leaving shortly, this was an impossibility to return to the port.

I also filed the lost luggage report online with MSC. I keep getting emails saying the have not located my scooter and things not claimed within 30 days will be disposed of. I called MSC information number that I was given and get a recording saying that I'm to fill out a report online. I was given the phone number for the company that handles MSCs lost and found in Orlando I talked to an employee once she says all lost and found items from Brooklyn are sent to Orlando to be shipped back to the owners. I have called them back twice a few weeks apart no one answers, and I have left two message. I have received no response.

Soooo....where is my knee scooter that was lost, found, and lost again by MSC? I Need this to be mobile.
If my scooter has indeed been lost when can I expect payment to purchase another? 

I'm tired of filling out lost and found forms and emails. I'm hoping a human reads this and can find out where my scooter is that MSC has lost twice. This has been a BIG FAIL on MSC in servicing the special needs community.

Does any one have a contact at MSC that might help?
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I'd wait around for MSC to replace the lost scooter.  If you need it to be mobile, I think you should go ahead and replace it yourself and hope for the best.  Sounds like a horrendous hassle. So sorry your cruise ended on a negative note.

My DH once picked up and traveled home with the wrong suitcase after a cruise.  He didn't realize it until he was home and began unpacking.  He had to pay for his actual suitcase to be shipped to him along with forking over the bill to ship the suitcase he picked up to the rightful owner.  An honest mistake that caused us some unexpected out of pocket expense.  Perhaps your scooter has had a similar excursion and hopefully, it will turn up.

This is an independent website. It's highly unlikely that anyone from MSC is monitoring it and able to help you with your problem. You have to deal with them directly. Even if MSC sees this, they have no way of contacting you.

On 9/13/2024 at 1:30 PM, wiseguy said:
I recently cruised on the MSC Meraviglia and disembarked in Brooklyn, NY on August 25, 2024. I have to use a knee scooter to get around. I rented an electric scooter just for the cruise and it was going to be picked up from the port as soon as we disembarked. So the knee scooter was needed to get to the airport and when we arrived back home.

I put the knee scooter and my baggage by the room door as were were instructed. We had priority disembarkation so we were collecting our things about 6:45 am, we were in group one. We found our bags, but no scooter. We looked thru hundreds of bags searching for the scooter for over one hour. We spoke to the luggage area manager R. Polanco. He radioed the ship, the ship said there were no knee scooters still onboard that hadn't been brought out yet.

I told Mr. Polanco that if we look any longer we were going to miss our flight, and asked what the next step was.  He said I needed to fill out a Missing Luggage Form and we did that at the port. We left the port without my much needed knee scooter so we wouldn't miss our flight home.

When we arrived at the airport, I received a call from Mr. Polanco saying they had found my scooter! Unfortunately, being at the airport already checked in and the flight leaving shortly, this was an impossibility to return to the port.

I also filed the lost luggage report online with MSC. I keep getting emails saying the have not located my scooter and things not claimed within 30 days will be disposed of. I called MSC information number that I was given and get a recording saying that I'm to fill out a report online. I was given the phone number for the company that handles MSCs lost and found in Orlando I talked to an employee once she says all lost and found items from Brooklyn are sent to Orlando to be shipped back to the owners. I have called them back twice a few weeks apart no one answers, and I have left two message. I have received no response.

Soooo....where is my knee scooter that was lost, found, and lost again by MSC? I Need this to be mobile.
If my scooter has indeed been lost when can I expect payment to purchase another? 

I'm tired of filling out lost and found forms and emails. I'm hoping a human reads this and can find out where my scooter is that MSC has lost twice. This has been a BIG FAIL on MSC in servicing the special needs community.

Does any one have a contact at MSC that might help?

They are going to tell you the luggage handles are not cruise line employees, so they will have no liability not will they give you two cents.

I know from personal experience, but my travel insurance reimbursed me 100%

File a claim and buy another 

• Like 1