Time on/off ship when visiting ports.

ClemMovieRunner

We're planning a couple of DIY excursions involving trains and while we're planning to be back onboard in plenty of time, I wondered if anyone knew if the arrival/departure times that have been supplied to us are the times we should expect to be allowed off the ship, or if they're the times that the ship will be docking/leaving? 

For example one stop is La Spezia.

Arrival is 9am and departure is 8pm. 

If we don't plan to get back to the port until 6pm, giving us 2 hours of delay time, is that a safe plan? 

Normally, if VV say that they are leaving a port at 8pm, the back on board time is 7.30pm. 6pm seems a sensible plan to minimise risk from unforeseen delays. If VV provide a free shuttle bus from the port, they will tell you the last time of the free shuttle bus.

With the arrival time, be aware that it often takes about 30mins after the arrival time until you can exit the ship. If the port has tenders, then it can take longer if you aren't doing a VV shore excursion.

Edited by Geebeeau
  • Like 1

Normally plan 30 minutes to get off and an "all aboard time 30 minutes before departure BUT remember that anything can happen.  A problem at the port, a medical transfer, engine issues on the ship...a dozen things can make your arrival late and/or your departure early.  VV really tries to keep your ports as scheduled and give you as much shore time as possible.

For example, on one of our recent cruises, we had to alter course due to a medical emergency--getting as close to the pick point/hospital while waiting for the helicopter.  That gave us a longer distance to our port stop the next day.  They adjusted the times to shave a couple hours off each of the next 2 ports...so we visited all the ports but were a little short on time at each.

9 hours ago, ClemMovieRunner said:

If we don't plan to get back to the port until 6pm, giving us 2 hours of delay time, is that a safe plan? 

Probably, but I personally would need to build in extra time. I'm the type of person that would worry I was cutting it too close and would wind up not enjoying my excursion fully for many of the unknown contingencies that @cantgetin addressed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

Probably, but I personally would need to build in extra time. I'm the type of person that would worry I was cutting it too close and would wind up not enjoying my excursion fully for many of the unknown contingencies that @cantgetin addressed. 

How much time would you build in? 

I'm on a Virgin cruise right now. The times for all aboard are not consistent with the 30 minutes before departure time, as has been my previous experience.  Our Amsterdam port aboard is 4:30 p.m. but we don't leave till 6:00 p.m.  Last week's cruise was different for each port.  I wouldn't count on a pattern with Virgin anymore.  They seem to be inconsistent with a lot of things these days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kaysha2004 said:

I'm on a Virgin cruise right now. The times for all aboard are not consistent with the 30 minutes before departure time, as has been my previous experience.  Our Amsterdam port aboard is 4:30 p.m. but we don't leave till 6:00 p.m.  Last week's cruise was different for each port.  I wouldn't count on a pattern with Virgin anymore.  They seem to be inconsistent with a lot of things these days.

Very useful, thanks very much!

1 hour ago, kaysha2004 said:

The Amsterdam issue is because the ship stays on UK time, so it leave Amsterdam 6pm Amsterdam time, which is 5pm Ship (UK) time hence all-aboard is 4.30pm ship (UK) time. 

so it is consistent that all-aboard is 30 minutes before, but there is confusion as itinerary pages show port times in local time not ship time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Jon81uk is totally correct.  Another thing is that there have been some protests at the port in Amsterdam recently which might lead to changed there.

Ship time is not always the same as the local time in order to avoid making many changes as the ship sails thru various time zones.  One hint while in port--know when you need to leave and be back to the ship with time to spare.  Set a timer rather than an alarm.  Your clock may automatically reset to local time, but the timer will not reset.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Your clock may automatically reset to local time, but the timer will not reset.

I have a trusty analog watch that I always wear. I set it to ships time and never worry about being a “pier runner” besides, I’m getting too old to run that fast anymore 😀

Another tip for iPhone users. You can turn the feature that senses a new time zone and silently changes your phone to it, but it’s tricky to find. Below is the path for more recent iphones:

To make changes visit Settings/Privacy and Security/Location Services/System Services/Setting Time Zone and switch this option to OFF. 

Your phone should now stay on the time you set regardless of where in the world you travel.

Just now, crusinthrough said:

Correct me if I am wrong but in Europe you can take the train to the next port if you miss the ship.  Not saying this is ideal but an option. 

Could be problematic without a passport, borders are borders!

4 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Correct me if I am wrong but in Europe you can take the train to the next port if you miss the ship.  Not saying this is ideal but an option. 

Yes, you can.....but you still need to figure out the train schedule, etc.  Much easier to just be on time for the ship.  Normally if you do not appear by "all aboard" time, security will get your passport from the safe in your room and give it to the "ship's agent" at the port.  Their phone number is listed in the app and on the daily paper handout at each port.  THeir job is to assist you with your arrangements and communicate with the ship.  You really do not want to miss the ship.