Dog in Royal Court Theatre on QM2

RK-NC

27 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Cunard accepts registered assistance dogs on board that have been specifically trained to assist a person with a disability and has been certified by an organisation that is a full member of Assistance Dogs International (ADI) or International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF), the accrediting bodies for assistance dog organisations worldwide.

This, in my opinion (and I'm not a lawyer nor have I played one on TV), treds into the gray area of Spector v NCL, where SCOTUS said that the foreign flag cruise ship's "internal policies and procedures" are not subject to the ADA, as this requirement for "registration" could be considered an internal policy.  This is obviously in line with UK laws, as this applies only to crossings originating in the UK.  However, denying a person a service animal when boarding in the US, would be, in my opinion, a violation of the ADA, as the cruise line is selling transportation as a "common carrier", and as such that transportation cannot be denied to a person because they need a service animal.  I don't know how long this language or policy has been in place, but I don't believe it would survive a court challenge from a US disabled person.

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't know Cunard's exact rules, but I would say that you mean "anyone with a mobility disability" would use an evac chair

No, it is not exclusive to those with mobility issues, it is for anyone who may require assistance in the event of an emergency, this covers numerous issues.

52 minutes ago, S1971 said:

No, it is not exclusive to those with mobility issues, it is for anyone who may require assistance in the event of an emergency, this covers numerous issues.

The reasons for assistance are quite complex and not everyone who needs assistance requires an evac chair.

I have a 'Understanding your needs' form in front of me, a copy of one of the forms submitted for future bookings.

One of the boxes one can select asks/says

'I have a non visible disability such as hearing or visual impairment, I am neurodiverse or I have another medical problem'.

Then under what level of assistance etc [i have shortened the quote]

'I require an evac chair [then under a certain weight]'

I require and evac chair [over a certain weight]

So we can assume those who are not mobility challenged will get  assistance in the case of an emergency but it will not be an evac chair,

I am sure I read somewhere [I have a vested interest in filling out assistance forms] that one to one assistance will be provided to guide folk who need it eg an arm to lean on, guiding down the stairs etc.

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

The reasons for assistance are quite complex and not everyone who needs assistance requires an evac chair.

I have a 'Understanding your needs' form in front of me, a copy of one of the forms submitted for future bookings.

One of the boxes one can select asks/says

'I have a non visible disability such as hearing or visual impairment, I am neurodiverse or I have another medical problem'.

Then under what level of assistance etc [i have shortened the quote]

'I require an evac chair [then under a certain weight]'

I require and evac chair [over a certain weight]

So we can assume those who are not mobility challenged will get  assistance in the case of an emergency but it will not be an evac chair,

I am sure I read somewhere [I have a vested interest in filling out assistance forms] that one to one assistance will be provided to guide folk who need it eg an arm to lean on, guiding down the stairs etc.

Yes, I agree the new rules are complex, I saw the below statement which complicates matters somewhat.

a) An evacuation chair – this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who is unable to use the stairs due to mobility or other circumstances, or for anyone bringing a wheelchair, mobility scooter, or any other powered mobility device.

What exactly do "other circumstances" mean in which an evac chair would be required?

I can't comprehend what they do if a service animal is also involved.

Complex indeed 🤔

Just now, S1971 said:

Yes, I agree the new rules are complex, I saw the below statement which complicates matters somewhat.

a) An evacuation chair – this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who is unable to use the stairs due to mobility or other circumstances, or for anyone bringing a wheelchair, mobility scooter, or any other powered mobility device.

What exactly do "other circumstances" mean in which an evac chair would be required?

I can't comprehend what they do if a service animal is also involved.

Complex indeed 🤔

other circumstances,

Not a clue unless something such bathmophobia is perhaps involved? There are so many different issues around it could be very difficult to pinpoint them all.

That could come under another tick box

'None of the above statements apply to me but I need to make you aware of my medical or mobility needs'

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

other circumstances,

Not a clue unless something such bathmophobia is perhaps involved? There are so many different issues around it could be very difficult to pinpoint them all.

That could come under another tick box

'None of the above statements apply to me but I need to make you aware of my medical or mobility needs'

Vertigo?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, S1971 said:

I did not think this was a blanket requirement for any disability, as the number of chairs is limited.

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Vertigo?

Low vision, diabetic retinopathy, lack of depth perception (sight in only one eye).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1