Time change- port canaveral

fozzy1975

8 minutes ago, fozzy1975 said:

Anyone know why I got an email out Mardi Gras time home in port Canaveral was moved from 7am to 8am? We live 1hr away so it’s no biggie but I was just wondering. Assume that means we won’t be on my 11 like in the past?

Not sure what sailing you're on. We got one for a Feb 8th sailing.

18 minutes ago, fozzy1975 said:

Anyone know why I got an email out Mardi Gras time home in port Canaveral was moved from 7am to 8am? We live 1hr away so it’s no biggie but I was just wondering. Assume that means we won’t be on my 11 like in the past?

What does that last sentence mean?   Thanks.

1 hour ago, DeniseTr said:

Sounds like a longterm change, possibly they have found that the port is efficient enough to board people more quickly than anticipated or other longterm issue that necessitated the change.

i am thinking it most likely a fuel saving time change. by arriving in port 1 hour later the ship can burn less fuel by running at a reduced speed

when i first cruising  a decade ago, it was very common for the ships to arrive at the port at around 6am or earlier and it slowly shifted to 7am and now eventfully it will be 8am 

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

i am thinking it most likely a fuel saving time change. by arriving in port 1 hour later the ship can burn less fuel by running at a reduced speed

when i first cruising  a decade ago, it was very common for the ships to arrive at the port at around 6am or earlier and it slowly shifted to 7am and now eventfully it will be 8am 

Mardi Gras is typically docked in Port Canaveral early, unless they're delayed. I often watch it enter the port before 5:30 am. It's rare that any ship docks here as late as 7:00 am unless it's here on a port of call. So I have to wonder if this means MG will be arriving closer to 7:00 am even with the announced 8:00 am arrival since it doesn't arrive at 7:00 now.

6 hours ago, shof515 said:

Unless there is a corresponding email to say the ship is departing an hour later, then being able to dock an hour later and still be able to do turnaround day would be because the port is running efficiently enough to allow this.

For what it's worth, our cruise into NYC from Bermuda 2 weeks ago arrived 2-3 hours early even though we detoured around a storm and the captain kept the speed up. We were going 15 knots the evening after departing Bermuda, then the next night as we detoured, we were up to 20 knots. He could have easily slowed down again Friday to save fuel and arrive in NY at the more usual 6-7am, but he announced at noon Friday we would be at the Statue of Liberty at 230am for those wanting to see it. 

Another reason the ships don't all seem to dock back at the homeport as early now is because the cruiselines have convinced 3/4 of the passengers to schlep their own luggage off, so now they don't need to unload it all before letting anyone off the ship. Immigration is also handled differently now too. Back then, the agents came on the ship and cleared everyone first, and then passengers could start disembarking (pre 9-11, it was just us non-Americans who had to get up at o'dark thirty to present ourselves in the lounge to bleary eyed border control agents who looked less than thrilled to be there lol).

Edited by DanJ
  • Thanks 1