Onboard Shops

Cruisingirl2012

56 minutes ago, Cruisingirl2012 said:

Buying alcohol bottle - are the prices comparable to duty free ? I know the cruise keeps it until last night of sailing 

I would say yes to this, the pricing definitely has changed over the years.  I remember when I could get great deals on the islands and onboard.  Now I go to the liquor stores in NH, state owned, and the prices are just about the same overall.  

We drive to FL and use to buy liquor on board.   We found that Total Wine,  or Costco in Fl  had better prices and we didn’t have to deal with carrying it off of the ship.  If we drive  thru Kentucky we would stop at both of those stores because their prices were even better.  Indiana now has the best prices if you are in that area.  KY is good for bourbons that you can’t get anywhere else.  

The duty free shop on board will match any liquor prices that are on the Islands.   Problem is you have to have a receipt or photo.   The stores watch you like a hawk to prevent taking photos.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

3 minutes ago, Cruisingirl2012 said:

Thank you! The prices here in Canada are pretty pricey so definitely it will be better in US but I was just curious if duty free was better than onboard

We are Canadian and prices have been better on the ship than home! We usually buy the grey goose. It’s much cheaper!

Cheers 🥂 

• Like 1

The great "cruise deals" are no longer there. At one time we used to pick up alcohol in St. Thomas or on the ship. Now flying back home with heavy bottles makes the purchase far too expensive. Living in MA, a drive to NH State Liquor Stores was a tradition, but now a quick trip to Trader Joe's or Yankee Spirits [local], beats all options. We've driven into Canada and seens the prices for alcohol, yikes!

IMO, for any cruise/travel related purchases, be sure to know the prices back home before you get caught up in the moment. 

Darcy