Travelling from downtown boston to cruiseport

latebuyer

I’d like to do some sightseeing in boston before my cruise. However i have some anxiety about traffic if i take uber.  If i stayed at moxy boston (do freedom trail in morning) i noticed its walking distance to south station and i can get the slc bus but i don’t know if thats a reliable method to get there. The other hotel i was considering was oasis guest house (walk to mfa in morning) but it takes estimated 25 minutes to get to port by uber. I just want to get to the port reliably and with minimum amount of stress! If you have advice let me know.

7 hours ago, latebuyer said:

However i have some anxiety about traffic if i take uber.  If i stayed at moxy boston (do freedom trail in morning) i noticed its walking distance to south station and i can get the slc bus but i don’t know if thats a reliable method to get there. The other hotel i was considering was oasis guest house (walk to mfa in morning) but it takes estimated 25 minutes to get to port by uber. I just want to get to the port reliably and with minimum amount of stress! If you have advice let me know.

There is zero reason to worry about taking Uber in Boston-- it's faster than public transport for the most part, reliable, and there are more Ubers than taxis in the city. I'm in the city for 3-4 days a month these days and only use Uber to get around. 

You also need to be careful about when you use Google Maps to estimate distances particularly as it applies to Boston, which due to its age is a city of smaller, less organized streets. When you try and estimate distances on a weekday morning it will give you a very different read out than what traffic might be on your morning of departure. 

The Moxy is definitely the better located hotel of the two. The Oasis (while I've never stayed there) is on the outskirts of the main part of town-- you would find yourself taking more Ubers to get to other places outside of the MFA, Gardner Museum, or Fenway Park. If it were me I would choose the Moxy so that I was within walking distance of more things in central Boston as well as closer to the pier and an easy, quick Uber ride to the ship. 

I'm saying this in a friendly way-- from your other posts it seems like you are suffering a bit from analysis paralysis. I think the most important thing you can decide is where you are going to stay and then overlay the places you want to see and the things you want to eat around that. Having that decision out of the way will give you more clarity in how the rest of what you want to do come together. Like I said above, based on the two you narrowed it down to, the Moxy would be your best choice as it is VERY central to just about anything in town. 

Thanks both. Yes i definitely have analysis paralysis. I’ve been doing some estimates with lyft and looks like it takes 40 minutes to port from moxy. However moxy seems more flexible as i can decide whether to take bus or uber/lyft. So i will quit waffling and go to moxy boston. Thanks again!

Maybe i am doing the lyft estimates wrong. What i am doing is checking the lyft estimate at 9 pacific and i assumed thats 12 eastern. But i don't know how that works. It says 20 minutes when i check right now on google.

I need to be there by 1pm. I thought if i left hotel around noon that would give enough time. I think i’ve only gone to a port locally (alaska and i live in vancouver) so perhaps thats why i feel so nervous.

4 hours ago, latebuyer said:

So it looks like getting to the moxy i can take the blue line from the airport to goverment center and transfer to boylston? That would be great. I'll see when i wake up as uber may be quicketr.

Uber/Lyft will be much quicker-- the T is fine but not designed for people with luggage. It will take you between 12-20 minutes to get to the pier from the Moxy. 20 minutes only if there are backups. But you don't need to use any highways to get there so major traffic won't be an issue no matter when you go-- the driver can use all surface streets. 

The estimates you were looking at were padding this ride in unrealistic ways. 

So there would be 2 trips _ one to the port from moxy and one from the airport hotel to moxy. For the trip from airport to moxy it could be 8:30-9 ish so think would be in rush hour traffic in uber so subway better i think.Thanks for responding but i think you are a bit biased against transit.

Edited by latebuyer

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks for responding but i think you are a bit biased against transit.

I'm not-- I use it when I'm there and in other cities. But Boston's mass transit system in the city core is ancient and not conducive to carrying large bags. Lots of steps, narrow escalators, narrow platforms, and on things like the Green Line streetcars with steps on them like at the Boylston stop near the Moxy. 

While Uber will be more expensive than mass transit, it will be much faster and easier with bags in tow in the scenarios you outline.