New prohibited item for cruises?

AndreaCamille

48 minutes ago, Anonymous234 said:

Google says a "multiplug outlet" is AKA power strip so I'm not going to worry about this unless RCL puts out a clarification with photos of what they are talking about, which they will probably never do, or we get some real world reports of passengers getting their item discarded/confiscated.  I know people are saying "multi USB" are still OK but USB is still a plug/outlet so presumably nothing would be OK.  I'm hoping this is just clarification of the rules we all know (no extension cords, no surge protection)

RCL probably won't clarify I think they don't mind some confusion. I think real world reports will clarify somewhat. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Anonymous234 said:

it doesn't matter what either of us thinks is OK.  It matters what the security guard thinks, and without clear instruction or photos from RCL either one of us could have materials confiscated.  Again I'm hoping this is just a website thing that is not going to affect the real world.

I know the difference between a plug and a port. I believe RCL does too. They always refer to plugs. They have never prohibited ports. In any case I won't have devices confiscated because I don't use the multiplugs or multiports anymore. I use 3x1 MagSafe and Qi2 chargers.

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

This is bad news for me if it is expanded to Celebrity! I always cruise with one or more of these power blocks that convert EU outlets to US outlets, plus some additional USB ports:

Ceptics European Travel Plug Adapter, Schuko QC 3.0 & PD Safe Dual USB & USB-C - 2 USA Socket - Compact & Powerful - Use in Greece Italy Switzerland Turkey Portugal - Type C, E/F - Fast Charging

61XuS153oHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I think that’s ok. There’s only one place for the plug not multiple plug sockets in one 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

My understanding is that one would now be banned on Royal Caribbean, because of the multiple outlets, just like the ones I posted above that my husband and I have used on dozens of cruises.

It shouldn’t be banned. It’s actual Multi socket ones with usb they don’t like. That one is only one socket. 

17 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

On our past Princess cruise, I brought his onboard because, as per the manufacturer, it was cruise approved. 

612ZyvM2nDL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I do not believe that would be allowed under the new Royal Caribbean rules. We will have to wait and see if other cruiselines follow suit on their new restrictions.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

That looks like it only has one outlet on the front. as long as there are no outlets on the two sides we can't see in the pic, it seem like it should be okay.

Sorry bad pic. I has 3 outlets; a European, UK and a US

I think this all comes from Royal Caribbean's lovely new mega-ship Utopia of the Seas having a power outage and the aircon not working and lifts (elevators) stuck without power. 

Maybe the new design of these mega-ships can't support that many extra outlets being used.

The older ships that have fewer outlets should be fine but a new modern ship should have USB sockets by the bed, on the table and plug sockets for all nations (UK, USA, Europe) and then we wouldn't need to bring extra adapters with us.

I saw one cruise line that had a refit of the cabins and they put in a plug socket that had all three types in one socket. Simple switch of the panel to upgrade to this type. That should become the normal for all cabins, but that will take time (and money).