Tipping for excursion guides.

gailellen12

I suppose this much depends on the country, many of which will generally have a low/no tip culture. I come from one such culture so my instinct is not to tip at all (unless I was visiting somewhere heavily influenced by American tipping culture, such as the Caribbean). FWIW, we did a ship's excursion from Vista in Monaco earlier in the year. I had not intended to tip and, when the trip finished, the guide had walked away from the bus, clearly not waiting for anyone to tip her which, as far as I could see, no-one did. 

Edited by Harters
  • Thanks 1

Speaking from the "American tipping culture" (see post above), I feel blessed and so lucky to live surrounded by 1st world problems such as how much to tip a cruise tour guide.

It is my pleasure to share a few dollars per person with a good guide who helps make a tour a good experience especially in a less fortunate location.

I generally give $5-10 per person based on the duration of the tour, quality of the guide etc.

I go to my bank at home and bring lots of small bills ($1, $5, $10) and reward excellent service both on the ship and in port.

It costs so little (from our perspective) to make someone's day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gailellen12 said:

For an 8 hour excursion?  For a four hour or less excursion?  Thanks in advance 

As Harters said, it depends on location. Caribbean...$5 pp half-day, $10 pp full day. Japan...please do not insult your guide by even appearing to want to tip.

• Like 3