How to visit Everglades between disembarking at Port Everglades and late afternoon flight at FLL?

JanDay

We disembark at Port Everglades and have several hours before flights from FLL. Would like to go explore the Everglades by airboat and/or kayak, but have our luggage with us. How can we do this?

Rent a car?

Find a luggage storage facility and taxi to closest Everglade entry point?

Tours By Locals?

I think your question about "entry point" is not appropro.  The Everglades is a large area and one can drive through various parts on various roads.  Many visitors also like to take an airboat tour of some of the swamps.   Your cruise line may offer an disembarkation day excursion that covers part of the Everglades and than takes you to the airport.  These kinds of excursions are often a great option since it also takes care of your luggage (which is carried underneath the bus.  

Doing it on your own is also possible and getting a rental car is always an option.  You can arrange to pick up your car near the port or out at the airport and later drop at the airport.  There are lots of online sites that will give you suggestions for a driving route and there are multiple providers, along the roads, that offer airboat tours.  

You may have a problem with time if you only have a few hours.  Most of the best parts of the Everglades are quite a distance from FLL and would work better, geographically, if you were flying out of MIA.  It is about 50 miles (one way) from Port Everglades to the more popular parts of the Everglades.   FLL is a busy airport, and you should heed the suggestions to be at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight.  You also will be dealing with south Florida traffic which can certainly add to delays.  

Hank

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JanDay said:

We disembark at Port Everglades and have several hours before flights from FLL. Would like to go explore the Everglades by airboat and/or kayak, but have our luggage with us. How can we do this?

Rent a car?

Find a luggage storage facility and taxi to closest Everglade entry point?

Tours By Locals?

We, too, purposely booked a late afternoon flight [to avoid the Saturday pre/post cruise chaos at FLL], back to BOS after our HAL cruise in December. To facilitate luggage and transfer, I booked an Everglades airboat adventure shorex on the HAL web site. We've done independent Everglades adventures in the past, but not on an airboat. I'm not too comfortable doing a kayak on the Everglades - those 'gators are too inquisitive and like to pop up to look at potential dinners. Check the cruise line offerings as this may be the easiest option. 

Darcy

• Like 1

@Hlitner Thanks for your response. We did look at the cruiseline option, which does go to airboat ride and then FLL. But, it gets some awful reviews regarding the provider, missing flights, long waits, disregard, etc. I know the western part of Everglades would be too far, but thought maybe the Sawgrass area just west of FLL might be doable.

1 minute ago, JanDay said:

@Hlitner Thanks for your response. We did look at the cruiseline option, which does go to airboat ride and then FLL. But, it gets some awful reviews regarding the provider, missing flights, long waits, disregard, etc. I know the western part of Everglades would be too far, but thought maybe the Sawgrass area just west of FLL might be doable.

Perhaps somebody here has been to that Sawgrass area.  When DW and I go to the everglades it is normally on the way back from the Keys when we can see the areas southwest of Homestead.  

Hank

3 minutes ago, JanDay said:

@WatchHill thanks for your response. We’ll be disembarking a Princess cruise. It does have the airboat and drop off at FLL option, but questionable reviews…Seeing if I can find another way to do it. Might end up going with the ship option anyway.

Generally cruise line shorex do not get raving reviews and are something we like to avoid. We've also had some terrible private tours, too. Coordinating a post cruise tour can be challenging and a bit stressful....do you really need to end your vacation that way? If the Princess transfer gives you an Everglades experience, takes care of luggage, and gets you to FLL in time for your flight, then IMO, do it. 

Darcy

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps somebody here has been to that Sawgrass area.  When DW and I go to the everglades it is normally on the way back from the Keys when we can see the areas southwest of Homestead.  

Hank

Hank, my only visit to Everglades was in that western section and with a naturalist tour guide via WildLime company. Amazing experience. Airboat with the local tribe was totally respectful of the environment and creatures versus the wild party-boat type of experience. Wishing I could find a local provider in Sawgrass area without the “thrill ride” mentality.

2 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

Generally cruise line shorex do not get raving reviews and are something we like to avoid. We've also had some terrible private tours, too. Coordinating a post cruise tour can be challenging and a bit stressful....do you really need to end your vacation that way? If the Princess transfer gives you an Everglades experience, takes care of luggage, and gets you to FLL in time for your flight, then IMO, do it. 

Darcy

Yep, my thoughts, too. With a 50/50 chance on it being a good adventure, we usually are gifted to be on the thumbs up side. And we make the most of whatever shows up.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

We've actually done the Sawgrass air boat tours. Not only was it great but their animal show was as well. We did have a rental car to do this though.

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Royal Palm - right after the Ernest Coe Visitors Center entrance is one of our favorites but it is a long drive from FLL or even MIA especially when traffic congestion has to be considered.

Shark Valley and the airport concessions along the Tamiami Trail are closer, especially to Port Everglades but I would be hesitant trying to make a flight the same day. If you do have lots of time (or someone is reading this who is spending a night in Miami or Fort Lauderdale before flying out), I highly recommend it.

https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm

• Like 1

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

Shark Valley and the airboat concessions along the Tamiami Trail are closer, especially to Port Everglades but I would be hesitant trying to make a flight the same day. If you do have lots of time (or someone is reading this who is spending a night in Miami or Fort Lauderdale before flying out), I highly recommend it.

https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm

Oops, see correction.  I shouldn't post when tired and not proof-reading!

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

We've actually done the Sawgrass air boat tours. Not only was it great but their animal show was as well. We did have a rental car to do this though.

I am considering this. 8:00 Taxi to airport. Rental car. Either take luggage with us or into storage at airport. (Is it safe to have bags in rental car while doing Sawgrass and airboat?) Drive the 23 miles and do airboat plus displays at Sawgrass. If time, head to the Flamingo Park. Back to FLL by 3:00. Flight at 5:00pm. Sound doable?

Thanks to everyone for responses and ideas. 🐊 

3 hours ago, JanDay said:

I am considering this. 8:00 Taxi to airport. Rental car. Either take luggage with us or into storage at airport. (Is it safe to have bags in rental car while doing Sawgrass and airboat?) Drive the 23 miles and do airboat plus displays at Sawgrass. If time, head to the Flamingo Park. Back to FLL by 3:00. Flight at 5:00pm. Sound doable?

Thanks to everyone for responses and ideas. 🐊 

The parking lot at Sawgrass is on the small side and very close to it as you can see it. Perhaps a car with a trunk but we had no concerns or problems. Certainly up to you. 

As far as your car rental you might consider renting from Budget/Avis which share location (Miami Road) just outside the PE gate and have a quick easy comp shuttle.

We always use Costco for great rates.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

The parking lot at Sawgrass is on the small side and very close to it as you can see it. Perhaps a car with a trunk but we had no concerns or problems. Certainly up to you. 

As far as your car rental you might consider renting from Budget/Avis which share location (Miami Road) just outside the PE gate and have a quick easy comp shuttle.

We always use Costco for great rates.

Thanks for the tip. Does the comp shuttle pick up at the ship? That sounds perfect! I love these forums.

4 hours ago, JanDay said:

@Ashland Turns out renting from FLL and returning there is less than 1/2 the cost of pick up at ship. Decided to taxi to airport, pick up and return car there. Even w taxi saves us a chunk of change. Costco  

Glad it worked out for you and you did a price comparison as you never know...just make sure your taxi is on the meter and not a flat rate.

Enjoy your cruise.